Menu

Anyone have a pet bird AND a cat?

And both are alive? :tongue_smilie:

My daughter wants a pet bird and I'm really on the fence about this since we have a pet kitten who is nuttier than a can of Planters. I'm very afraid that the bird will meet its demise by way of the kitty, but my daughter has been trying to convince DH and I that she will keep the bird safe. (She's also currently working on an essay with her writing teacher about how to convince parents that birds are great pets. :D)

We're talking about a parakeet here, btw, not a huge parrot. Ideally, she'd love a cockatiel, but we'd like to start small.

One issue is that this is what my daughter has been asking for as a birthday present for a while now, and it's the only thing she wants. We have other gift ideas for her, but the bird is the sole thing she's been talking about.

Someone tell me a bird and a cat could work. Please?

We have free ranging chickens and a cat. Not exactly the same but we had chicks last year. We only protected them for the first couple of weeks. After that the cat would sleep in their house and the chicks would kick him out when they had had enough. He is basically scared of them. It probably depends upon the cat.

Depends on the cat. For some reason we have always been able to mix and match our pets and everyone has always gotten along. We had a cockateil who used to fixate on the dog and sit on the cat. The one we have now is a darling but the two year old cat would have a turn if given half a chance. The other cat could care less.

I have a small parrot and a cat. The cat goes up to the cage and he gets his toes or nose bit by the bird :) I of course would never leave them unsupervised and if the bird is out the cat is locked in a different room. I truly think my bird would win in a fight though!!

Sounds like it's time for a Smackdown!!! :D

(Can you get wrestling outfits for birds? :tongue_smilie:)

:lol::lol:

I could run an underground cat/bird fight ring.

I tried to put a flight diaper on the bird once....lets just say it didn't go well and I will never attempt it again!

We have had two cats and 2 parakeets for several years now.

Parakeets shouldn't be out of the cage unless the owner is handling them, so not much opportunity to become a cat snack.

Not that my cats would attempt that while we are looking. They will let the birds sit on them and flitter about with nothing more than a twitch of their tail if we are in the room. They wait until we are in bed and then go for the cage. One of the birds learned that one of the cats is scared of the other, so he will meow at her if she puts her paw through the cage and that freaks her out enough to scamper away.

The dog wants to love them. It really upset him to see them "falling" and he will try to grab them (of course that means pick up with his mouth) and bring them to us. We got him to stop that, so now he barks at us like we are the worst parents ever for letting them at like that. He will come get me in whatever room I'm in to tell on those birds.

I have had a Goffins cockatoo and a Sengal parrot at different times who shared my house with two different cats. The cockatoo and cat were best friends and would play together, preen each other, and hang out. I never left them unsupervised though. The Senegal and cat were fine together; that cat mostly ignored the bird, but they would interact some. mostly the bird would chase the cat, then laugh. The cockatoo was larger than the birds you are considering but still not a larger parrot. Senegals are small, pretty cloe in size to a cockatiel.

It an work but does depend onthe individual animals in question.

If you're going to do it I would get a cockatiel rather than a parakeet. The amount of work is essentially the same but cockatiels are generally friendlier and trainable while parakeets aren't.

Agreed. Plus cockatiels are not as prone to sudden death by cold draft. Much sturdier birds.

Our cockatiel was in a large cage. I would sit and chunk couch pillows at the cat whenever the cat decided to 'stalk' the bird. Eventually the cat learned it wasn't worth the effort. My dogs never seemed to notice the bird.

If you are going to get a bird, you'd be better off getting a large one. A small one will be easier prey.

When I was younger my mother had a pet bird. About the size of a blue jay (I can't remember the type, one of those medium sized green ones). I had a cat.

Then came a day when I had a fat cat and she didn't have a bird. Just sayin'.

I would get nothing smaller than an African Grey in a house with a cat.

If you're going to do it I would get a cockatiel rather than a parakeet. The amount of work is essentially the same but cockatiels are generally friendlier and trainable while parakeets aren't.

:iagree: Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to have birds and cats in the same house. I've had both parakeets and cockatiels and they both do just fine. My vote would be for the cockatiel though. They aren't nearly as flighty, you can interact with them, and they are no more work than a parakeet.

I lived with a woman for many years who had both a bird and a cat. The bird was a cockatiel and the cat was a declawed Persian. Both animals ended up dying of old age many years later.

A warning: Cockatiels are VERY loud and they can live a VERY long time (this particular one lived 24 years).

When I was a kid, we had a parakeet. He lived for 11 years, but my parents were very careful to keep him properly warm. And he learned to talk. So parakeets don't automatically die after three months and don't have to be boring.

Well since we know you can buy a diaper for a chicken I'll bet someone has :lol:

OP my dd is also begging for a bird. Except she wants a Cockatoo.:001_rolleyes:

always remember that cats can turn into wild predators when their hunting instinct takes over. Yesterday, our fat 10 year old ,( never shown interest in hunting anything before) before we could even notice, he caught a kingfisher and broke its neck instantly. Our cat was running around the yard with the bird in his mouth for the longest time and then left it for us on the porch. Never assume that just because a cat seems so gentle that it can not turn into hunter mode in an instant.

Good luck with that. :001_huh:

Those suckers are loud.

Yeah I know. I am trying to convince her that she does *not* want one without crushing her. She has done extensive research on her own and decided this is perfect for her. I'm trying to find an alternative!

Thanks for the replies. After a chat with DH yesterday, we've made the decision to get the bird for DD. We'll probably go cage shopping this weekend.

When I was a kid, we had a parakeet. He lived for 11 years, but my parents were very careful to keep him properly warm. And he learned to talk. So parakeets don't automatically die after three months and don't have to be boring.

DH had a parakeet for about 10 or 11 years, and it was a relatively interactive bird. She showed clear affection for DH and clear disdain for me. It would squawk and chirp like crazy whenever I was around, and I think the little bugger was jealous that I stole her man. ;) From what DH tells me, she also seemed to notice when DH's father died, and acted sad for a time afterward.

I'll have to chat with DH about a cockatiel. We spent some time with one during the summer and that bird was a little charmer. DD fell in love with Roger, her little dance partner. :D