Menu

Where do you put dirty diapers? and a bonus question...

Where do you put your dirty diapers? I think the changing table will be in our bedroom at first, so we're hoping for an option that doesn't SMELL... And did you buy newborn diapers with the cutout for the umbilical cord, or are they a waste? Dd was born over 9 lbs and didn't fit those diapers for long (they're only rated to 10 lbs.). I assume this one will be a little elephant too, and I was wondering if it would work to just put him into size 1's and fold down the front for the cord. Good idea or bad? Actually, the box of Huggies (9 years old, will they still work?) says size 1+2. Will that be too big for a 9 pounder? Should I just get the newborn diapers and be done with it? Isn't this pathetic? :)

Thanks!

We used the Diaper Genie. Wonderful little invention that keeps the smell out of the house! We had 2 in diapers at once so it was very beneficial!

Also, I never bought the ones with the umbilical cord cutout for my dc (actually, I think they were new when I had my ds, but, we didn't use them for our foster babies either). I just folded over the front flap if I needed to. My dc were big, too, so they didn't fit in the newborns for more than a week or two.

Congrats! How are you feeling?

We used a Diaper Genie with the first. There is still a very slight smell. Come the twins and 3 in diapers, we just started taking them straight out to the outdoor trash. #4 came along and we just kept taking them outside. It worked better and was cheaper.

Sizes? 3 of mine were preemie, so we used the ones the hospital sent home with us. Ds wasn't big at all so we went with newborn. I don't think they were making the cut out at the time.

My little Grace was 8 lbs. 14 oz. I bought one small pack of newborn diapers. By the time we had used those up she was ready for size 1. Actually the hospital used size 1 and just folded them down for the cord and that worked fine also. So I think if you wanted to skip the newborn size altogether, you could. The newborn size did fit very nicely and I enjoyed using them, I just wouldn't buy too many.

I have a big box of size 1-2 that I will probably try out next week. They are supposed to fit up to 15 lbs. I'm not sure how much bigger they are than the regular size 1. I think you'll want to use newborn or size 1 for at least a little while.

With my twins, I just had a small trashcan next to the changing table that I lined w/plastic grocery bags. I'd empty it to the outside trash every time w/a poopy diaper. With ds3 I finally got that Diaper Genie...and I didn't like it. So I went back to my other method.

I just folded down the diapers. It worked just fine. They're not very physically active at that age. LOL.

I'm guessing that you're talking about disposable diapers. I used a Diaper Genie with my first two kids, so I got one for my third, too. I used it for awhie, but I got to where I couldn't stand the fragrance of the Genie plastic. I put the Genie outside to air it out, I started using regular plastic grocery bags, twisting them shut between adding diapers. I never brought the Diaper Genie back in! The grocery bags do a wonderful job of locking in the smell (just hold your breath when you add another diaper). I threw the filled bag away each day, and never had a problem with smell. :o)

If you're expecting a baby over 8 lbs, I wouldn't get newborn diapers. I always just folded the size 1s down for all my 8 lb babies. It worked better than the cut-outs because those always got caught on the cord or clip. I think I folded down the cutout diapers, too, to keep them from catching on the cord.

Our trash goes into a dumpster, so we throw the pee diapers right into the bin in the kitchen. The poo diapers go into a plastic grocery bag and then into the trash. The trash barrel is regularly washed and sprayed with Lysol. DH takes the trash out often, no smell otherwise.

I'm a baby minimalist, so we have never owned a changing table. I just change the kids on a pad on the floor, couch or bed.

I have a very small diaper pail, so it fills quickly and doesn't get too stinky. With breast-fed babies you will change a lot of diapers and the poo isn't all that smelly so you will be fine for a while, until you start feeding "real" food.

I used a Diaper Champ with Emma and I liked it fine. Nothing keeps the smell down 100%. My sister used small, stainless-looking trash cans and emptied them a lot. Frequent removal is the only sure-fire way to keep the odor down. :)

Now, I do 2 things: empty the poo into the potty when possible, and put the stinky diaper into a plastic grocery bag. I usually take the bag out right then since the Snort only goes once every 2-3 days.

The newborn diapers were nice, and the Snort fit into them for at least a couple of weeks, even as a 9 pounder. His Grandma called him "Splinter B*tt." :lol: They are nice, but not necessary. Folding over works just fine.

ETA: Here is a link to my diaper pail. It has a little compartment for deodorizer if that works for you. It's been great for us.

I buy little garbage sack(for a diaper) at the Dollar Tree(I buy up about 3-4 boxes when I'm there so they last me awhile):001_smile:~they come in a box of 100 and have a little scent. The scent helps keep it from stinking up the bedroom.

Every time my son gets a diaper change(in my room where the changing table is), we put a diaper into the bag and tie it up and toss into a little garbage can with a grocery sack in it.

When it's full, I toss it outside.

We didn't use the diapers with the little cut out. We did the fold down thing :001_smile:

Sounds like you could get by with the size 1's and fold down.

We used to use the Diaper Genie with ds. It was OK. But by the time dd came along, we just put wet diapers in the regular trash and put dirty diapers in plastic bags--for this we save produce bags and the bags the newspaper comes in. If we run out of those, of course, we use grocery bags. And sometimes we just take those stinky diapers straight outside to our rolling cart!

I vote for just buying regular diapers w/o the cutout and no diaper genie. These (for me) fell under the heading of too many extras that just weren't necessary. We had the diaper genie with #1 but by #2 we just took them straight to the garbage can in the garage.

We've tried every kind of container...we didn't like any of them. What we ended up doing was buying those scented bags (you can get them at Target, Walmart...just about anywhere) and putting them in our regular trash. This has worked out great! Since we change it at least once a day, sometimes more, we have never had a smell problem.

I have a diaper storage story. First, we always used diaper genie. DG is great until you get to late in the diaper process when it is hard to stuff the diaper in. Trust me, get the wide mouth DG!

Anyways, my story. When we moved from TX to NV ds was a toddler. His diapers were so voluminous and nasty, that I always put them out to the trash can asap. We have huge winds where we live and I quickly lost our trash can lid to the wind. As that trash can didn't have a lid, I used it to store diaper genie wrapped diapers. I couldn't imagine that I would attract a bear or coyote with diapers?

Our house backs up to BLM (bureau of land management) land. So we gets lots of cute bunnies and occasionally snakes This year we have millions of lizards. I've been calling our yard lizard land. Anyways, back to the story. I was taking the trash out to the curb for pickup when a flash of movement in the diaper can caught my eye. I thought it might have been a bird because I saw the color black. I thought to myself, what idiot bird would want to rest in my super nasty smelling trash can.

Well, I'm no nature-lover, but I couldn't stand the idea of a bird getting smushed in a trash truck so I started digging through diaper genie bags (joy!). Then I saw another flash, but this time I saw black and white! Yes, a skunk was attracted to the diaper smell in the trash can!

Again, I couldn't imagine a skunk smushed in the trash truck so I pushed the can over and ran away............but not fast enough. It sprayed me and the whole side of the house as it ran to freedom.

So my advice is, throw your diapers away in an outside trash can WITH a lid. Congratulations on the coming baby!

Holly

Oh Holly, that is TOO FUNNY!!!!!! ROFL! Actually, it could happen around here too. I came upon a skunk one night as I was taking a walk (we're surrounded by woods). Believe you me, I lowered the flashlight to be non-threatening, turned around, and walked far away fast! :)

Y'all are tossing out lots of good ideas. I'll keep reading. Thanks! :)

... no diaper genie. These (for me) fell under the heading of too many extras that just weren't necessary.

I agree with this and I'll go one further and say the changing table falls in the same category for me. I change the baby on my bathroom counter, and if I didn't have room there, I'd do it on the floor. All the changing stuff can be kept neatly in a basket and the bonus is you can move it easily.

We use gDiapersso we don't need a diaper pail of any sort. :001_smile:

When I do occasionally use a disposable, I take it out to the trash immediately.

I buy newborn diapers as needed, but I also keep a box of size ones in the house.

Usually I buy them at BJ's which allows you to combine their store coupon for diapers with a manufacturer's coupon, resulting in 4-7$ off a huge box of diapers.

I think it depends on the brand.

Regular Huggies, Luvs and Pampers Baby dry run small, while I think Pampers Cruisers and the ones in the yellow package run a little larger.

If you want to buy like 1 pack of newborns, White Cloud, sold at Wal-mart is just as good as any of the other brands and a lot less $$$. It is also probably the only size in off-brand diapers I could recommend.

I've been through a lot of diaper experimentation, as DS was unmentionably disgusting-- think of a bomb going off!

The diaper genie is pretty good. We used that for our first. For our second we used something similar to the diaper genie but it used regular trash bags instead of the special plastic tube thingy. They were both pretty good about the smell.

I have tried to like the diaper genie, but ugh, I just don't like it. When you are trying to hold on to a wiggly baby, it is hard to stuff that diaper down into the dg, twist it, and get the lid back on with one hand. Plus, like somebody else said, the smell of the plastic alone was enough to bother me. Yeck! I just use a small trash can and empty it frequently.

As for the diapers, I think the size 1+2 is a little bit bigger, so I think I would get at least one package of size ones. They go through a lot of diapers those first few days, so I'm sure you will use them up before he/she outgrows them.

I store them in a diaper pail until wash day :D

Ditto here - except I use an open laundry basket instead of a sealed diaper pail because air tight seems to make dipes smell worse, imho. After experimenting with my newborn cloth, I'm waiting for her cord to fall off to use the cloth full time. BTW, I had two small packages of newborn swaddlers given to us from the hospital - she (9 lbs, 7 oz at birth) outgrew them before we used them up. Another friend gave me pampers size 1 and I'm using them until her cord falls off (just folding down the top a tiny bit). (I agree with pp that white cloud is not bad as far as the cheaper brands go).

JMHO, but I don't think nb dipes smell if the baby is breastfed - it always seems to smell like butter or maybe butterscotch. There's an open bag in my room right now and they don't smell at all.

Your due date will be here before you know it! How exciting!!!

We keep a small kitchen garbage can so I just throw them in there and take out the entire bag to the main garbage can if it is a smelly bm diaper. I am not a gadget person and wasn't going to buy special bags for the Diaper Genie so even though I was given one by a friend, I never used it.

We used cloth with our bio kids and dfd came at 5mo so she was already in traditional diapers when she got here.