Menu

Functional neurology

Has anyone here ever gone to a chiropractor who practices functional neurology? I had an exam and I'm trying to decide whether to proceed with treatment. The dr is out of network, so I have to pay a huge amount of money before I will get any insurance reimbursement. The initial round of treatment is $3,500 and it's not like I have that kind of money lying around. OTOH, I can't keep functioning the way I am. I either have to get better or find a new career that is less demanding. If my symptoms are caused by leukemia and/or my medicine for that, I'm afraid I'll be out a lot of money and not feel any better. OTOH, cancer patients have a tendency to blame cancer for everything and not get treated for other things that are treatable, so I don't want to make that mistake.

This dr's office looks a lot like an OT office. I know that nutritional supplements and interactive metronome are part of the treatment, but beyond that I'm not sure what all she does. I think there are also some vision therapy type of exercises. She has helped some of my friends; otherwise, I wouldn't even have gone to her for the exam. I don't want to get sucked into something that is snake oil, but I trust my friends and they love her.

Any thoughts or experience? Thanks.

Here's a link to the website: http://www.drdanechiro.com/

In the center of the page, there are links to testimonials from clients. I know all of the people in the videos except one, plus I know of two other people who have gone to her. None of these are people who have a lot of money, so the therapy must be making a big difference in their lives or they wouldn't spend that kind of money on it.

If you were me, what kinds of questions would you ask before making a decision?

Thanks!

Interesting timing of question....

Yesterday, someone posted a link to a video to a dr who does similarly on the FB page for Low Dose Naltrexone

and Thyroid Disorders page. The video made sense so I went to the website to learn more.

Like you, I'm struggling health wise and would love some relief. And yet, there is only so much money one can spend. And yet, if it works, it is SO worth it, right?

I know that when we were in the mountains in southwest Virginia, someone suggested a doctor nearby. Honestly, I couldn't believe a dr THERE could help in the least. Then I had to pay cash also. And it wasn't a huge amount of cash ($200 for initial visit and $100 thereafter; payment plan available), but when you've been to tons of Drs and just keep getting new Dxes, no new relief....well, and it is a junk of change anyway. But I went ahead an did it (like I'm sure you would if it were going to be $1000 total) and it was absolutely amazing! It gave me back my life. It isn't perfect, but in some ways, I function better now, two years later, than I had all the previous years of my adult life! Also, just before that, we used another program (for a teenager's issue) which most people don't buy into (according to everything touted by doctor's and on this board). It was quite pricey too (not positive I remember how much, but like $2200). It also worked though more than anything, I believe the reasoning for doing it was the important part. If I had a similar situation again, I'd do it much sooner!

So two different types of situations and I still feel very "iffy" about some of these alternatives...So many of us spend years, even a lifetime, looking for help. And so many people are out to make money on it. Many treatments are just based off of the fad of the moment. I don't want to waste my money, time, mental and emotional energy on such things!

But....but we did have some experiences that worked. And the fact that you know people who have been helped....

Best to you in your decision,

Interesting timing of question....

Yesterday, someone posted a link to a video to a dr who does similarly on the FB page for Low Dose Naltrexone

and Thyroid Disorders page. The video made sense so I went to the website to learn more.

Like you, I'm struggling health wise and would love some relief. And yet, there is only so much money one can spend. And yet, if it works, it is SO worth it, right?

I know that when we were in the mountains in southwest Virginia, someone suggested a doctor nearby. Honestly, I couldn't believe a dr THERE could help in the least. Then I had to pay cash also. And it wasn't a huge amount of cash ($200 for initial visit and $100 thereafter; payment plan available), but when you've been to tons of Drs and just keep getting new Dxes, no new relief....well, and it is a junk of change anyway. But I went ahead an did it (like I'm sure you would if it were going to be $1000 total) and it was absolutely amazing! It gave me back my life. It isn't perfect, but in some ways, I function better now, two years later, than I had all the previous years of my adult life! Also, just before that, we used another program (for a teenager's issue) which most people don't buy into (according to everything touted by doctor's and on this board). It was quite pricey too (not positive I remember how much, but like $2200). It also worked though more than anything, I believe the reasoning for doing it was the important part. If I had a similar situation again, I'd do it much sooner!

So two different types of situations and I still feel very "iffy" about some of these alternatives...So many of us spend years, even a lifetime, looking for help. And so many people are out to make money on it. Many treatments are just based off of the fad of the moment. I don't want to waste my money, time, mental and emotional energy on such things!

But....but we did have some experiences that worked. And the fact that you know people who have been helped....

Best to you in your decision,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I tossed and turned all night thinking about it. I think I might email her back and say that I have to save the money in my HSA before I can start therapy, but does she have any suggestions that I can implement in the meantime? I am afraid of putting it on a credit card and then ending up $3500 more in debt and no better off healthwise. Right now, I am maxed out working 25-30 hours/week, and if I can work 40 hours/week after therapy, I can earn the money to repay the credit card. But as you know, this doesn't come with a guarantee.

After wasting thousands of dollars on a chiropractor who swore he could *cure* neurological disorders I've come to the conclusion that while chiropractors are amazing at fixing most musculoskeletal pain (even sprained ankles), they cannot and should not be relied upon for ANYTHING else.

After wasting thousands of dollars on a chiropractor who swore he could *cure* neurological disorders I've come to the conclusion that while chiropractors are amazing at fixing most musculoskeletal pain (even sprained ankles), they cannot and should not be relied upon for ANYTHING else.

Yeah, this is what I'm afraid of. Although she hasn't represented that she can cure anything; the goal is more along the lines of improving my brain function.

Yeah, this is what I'm afraid of. Although she hasn't represented that she can cure anything; the goal is more along the lines of improving my brain function.

The thing is, brain function isn't something that's affected by the spine. When other body parts may be having nerve issues I could possibly see an impact, depending on the nature of the issue. But the whole point of chiropractic is that better alignment causes better body-brain communication triggering the body to heal itself.

The alignment of the spine has nothing to do with brain function. The best a chiropractor can do for your head is to crack your neck - which may be worth it if you're in a lot of neck pain, but if not, it's dangerous. It tends to bruise the blood vessels of the neck internally and there is a increased risk of stroke for several days afterward!

Diet might, but you don't need a chiropractor to change your diet.

A sleep study might help a lot, depending on the nature to the problem, because typically the brain repairs itself during REM sleep.

Herbs, vitamins, amino acids, or a paleo diet might help a lot, depending on the nature of the problem.

Please ask her for references from anyone she's treated with your specific problem before you give her any money at all. Preferably more than 10 people, so it's harder to fake.

There are a lot of chiropractors who go out of business because there isn't much money in it. Ones who don't may be recommending long courses of expensive treatments before you can see any improvement, which of course you won't. Please try something, anything else. I am absolutely convinced a sugar pill would be more effective for any brain issues.

I found this at Science-Based Medicine - Chiropractic Neurology

I suppose the question is, do you want evidence based medicine? For the amount of money you're talking about I certainly would.

It doesn't seem that there is any evidence for chiropractic neurology. As Katy pointed out, the basic reasoning is flawed and based on an idea that's completely unsupported and even countered by science. What it seems to be is a placebo effect. Placebo effects can be powerful and probably why I'd not bother reading any recommendations or testimonials - anecdotes are no substitute for honest data.

I'm a fan of the placebo effect. I once had a self-proclaimed faith healer "cure" the pain from a serious burn I'd suffered the same morning. But it was my own brain doing the work, not any mystical powers she claimed to have and I'm not willing to pay big money to someone for doing what a sugar pill and my brain could do.

The thing is, brain function isn't something that's affected by the spine. When other body parts may be having nerve issues I could possibly see an impact, depending on the nature of the issue. But the whole point of chiropractic is that better alignment causes better body-brain communication triggering the body to heal itself.

The alignment of the spine has nothing to do with brain function. The best a chiropractor can do for your head is to crack your neck - which may be worth it if you're in a lot of neck pain, but if not, it's dangerous. It tends to bruise the blood vessels of the neck internally and there is a increased risk of stroke for several days afterward!

Diet might, but you don't need a chiropractor to change your diet.

A sleep study might help a lot, depending on the nature to the problem, because typically the brain repairs itself during REM sleep.

Herbs, vitamins, amino acids, or a paleo diet might help a lot, depending on the nature of the problem.

Please ask her for references from anyone she's treated with your specific problem before you give her any money at all. Preferably more than 10 people, so it's harder to fake.

There are a lot of chiropractors who go out of business because there isn't much money in it. Ones who don't may be recommending long courses of expensive treatments before you can see any improvement, which of course you won't. Please try something, anything else. I am absolutely convinced a sugar pill would be more effective for any brain issues.

She does a lot more than spinal adjustments. My dd's OT has been very good for her, and this chiro does a lot of similar things. The training for functional neurology is 3 or 4 years after chiropractic school.

Diet and supplements is one of the things she does, and you're right, it doesn't have to a chiropractor that I see for that. But she has a lot of training in pulling all these fields together. I have played around with my diet quite a bit, and it doesn't seem to make any significant difference. I mean, eating more green and less sugar matters, but tweaking beyond that has not made any additional difference. Right now, the only supplement she's stressing I need is a higher quality fish oil that has a higher DHA dose instead of EPA.

I wouldn't even consider it if she hadn't helped so many of my friends with various types of complaints and disorders. I am to a point that I feel desperate and lost, but otoh, that's exactly why I'm trying to pull back and make a logical decision. I will ask her whether she's treated cancer patients before. I know that acupuncture is proven to help with cancer fatigue, so it's entirely possible that there are other therapies that can help, too. But I would like to know whether she's treated it successfully.

Edited by LizzyBee