Menu

Timeline: History Through Ages question

LAmom

We do our timelines two ways. One is with the book, which after a 4 year rotation will hold all of our timeline figures. I purchased the placement guide and we use it all the time. It really helps my kids to get things in the proper order. You certainly don't need their timeline book, and I know a lot of people make their own, but I really like having it and think of it as a sort of keep sake.

We also use a tri-fold presentation board--a different one for every year, so that at the end of a 4 year rotation we'll have 4 different ones. They're nice because they easily fold away and don't take up much room. This way we can print off the bigger figures to use on the tri-fold board and the smaller ones for the book.

Here are some pictures of our boards on my Pinterest history page.

We have the CD and I love it. The indexes are super organized and so easy to search. It's easy to change the size of the pictures to the ones I need.

We use a sketch pad that I got at Hobby Lobby. I drew the lines and wrote my own dates. It's not the greatest thing in the world, but it was very cheap, like $6. And my son is only six so it works for us. When he reaches the grammar and rhetoric stages, he'll get new ones.

What do I need? The Creation through Christ set, but do I need the placement guide (I just might :confused:)? Does anyone use the record of time book they make? It's so pricey! But I think I'd like it in a book rather than on a wall...

We use the placement guide (and have for several years as we have continued to build our timeline). The record of time is lovely but was too pricey for each of my kids to have one, and they each wanted their own timeline. I didn't want a wall timeline as I had no real place to put it.

I just used the placement guide spacing to create timeline pages in Publisher. We print and 3 hole punch them to create homemade timeline notebooks. This is our 4th year and the kids have learned a bunch from this work.

Edited by Beach Mom

I purchased a nice scrapbook and some old world looking scrapbook paper. We divide each page into timeline sections as we go. Once we have filled a page (front and back) we place it into the protective sleeves. This keeps everything clean and nice. It's really working well for us. Because the paper is for scrapbooking, it's thicker and durable. It's also nice that I can buy more sleeves if needed. If I run out of the current paper, I'll just use another style of the old-world looking paper.