Menu

Teaching Textbooks question

This is our first year using this program. I love it! Kids love it. It is working out fabulously! Now my question. In TT 5, and so far 6 dd 5th never once used the textbook. In TT Algebra 1, dd 9th has never once used the textbook. How probable is it that they will not ever use the textbook in Geometry and beyond? I am just wondering if I can stop buying the textbook.

If they're not using it, the only question is if *you* want it to refer to. I've used the manual a bit just to know what was coming and glance at types of problems. If you don't need it for that, don't bother.

I guess I am wondering if there is something in Geometry they would need it for (or atleast it would be easier for?) Honestly I don't really look at it either, yet.

We're using the geometry right now, and until they come out with a new version, the book is necessary. The CD has the lecture and practice problems, then the student works the assignment problems from the text. It is not self-correcting. You need to correct them with the written key or with the solutions CD.

I think TT just came out with the new Algebra 2 in the 2.0 version, right? So I guess I figured we'd go there after algebra 1, THEN do the Geometry. If you do that, you'll be using 2.0 versions all the way (assuming they stay on track).

Ohh I didn't even think about that! I know they are upgraing Algebra 2, and Pre-Calc. Didn't think they were upgrading Geometry though.

I heard though, that you need Geometry before Alg 2. Is that so?

I'm really not in the loop. So I guess call them and you can inform us. :) I was just going on the way they order their courses in their vertical menu. There's a comment on Algebra 2 before geometry on their site, so maybe they prefer it that way? And in my reading of the boards I found multiple people saying they did TT alg 1, 2, then geo. So I just figured it was reasonable. Besides, I have my own theory on it. I'm running the BJU math and TT parallel, hoping maybe to bring a bit of extra depth (harder word problems and whatnot). So my theory is to work her through the BJU pre-algebra, algebra 1, and algebra 2 while she does the TT algebra 1, 2, and geo. Then for pre-calc they hit both at the same time. At least that's my theory. Long live theories, lol. I don't think she particularly needs double geometry, no matter how cool it is.

Where this was going, I have no clue. I just think, looking at the TT stuff and their argument for it, that it's pretty reasonable to do alg 1, then 2, then geo. They suggest you time it so you get geo done in time for the PSAT. Here's that article. http://www.teachingtextbooks.com/v/vspfiles/tt/GeometryPlacement.htm

I'm really not in the loop. So I guess call them and you can inform us. :) I was just going on the way they order their courses in their vertical menu. There's a comment on Algebra 2 before geometry on their site, so maybe they prefer it that way? And in my reading of the boards I found multiple people saying they did TT alg 1, 2, then geo. So I just figured it was reasonable. Besides, I have my own theory on it. I'm running the BJU math and TT parallel, hoping maybe to bring a bit of extra depth (harder word problems and whatnot). So my theory is to work her through the BJU pre-algebra, algebra 1, and algebra 2 while she does the TT algebra 1, 2, and geo. Then for pre-calc they hit both at the same time. At least that's my theory. Long live theories, lol. I don't think she particularly needs double geometry, no matter how cool it is.

Where this was going, I have no clue. I just think, looking at the TT stuff and their argument for it, that it's pretty reasonable to do alg 1, then 2, then geo. They suggest you time it so you get geo done in time for the PSAT. Here's that article. http://www.teachingtextbooks.com/v/vspfiles/tt/GeometryPlacement.htm

Makes sense! Now, when I tell dd that she gets Alg2 next year I get to blame it on you :lol:

We will be doing Algebra 2 next year right after Algebra 1. It makes more sense, regardless of whether traditional schools do it that way or not. And I too am SO hoping they create a self correcting version all the way up the chain.

Cindy

Somewhere (no clue where now) I read that there was logic needed from Geometry for Alg 2?? I don't remember exactly what I read or where I read it now, though.

Alg 2 and Geometry can be taken in either order or even at the same time. One does not depend upon the other.

One does want to make sure Geometry is taken before the PSAT (recently enough not to have forgotten everything - or use a prep book to keep skills up).

The pro to taking Alg 2 after Geometry is that Pre-Calc comes next and it uses more Alg skills than Geometry skills. Many want their students more "up" on Alg skills at that time.

I've had kids do each order and really didn't find any difference making one better than another. The important thing is that they KNOW the math, and don't just learn and forget.