Menu

AP Biology Test

I'm a little confused about when this test should be taken. Dd is just a freshman and is doing DIVE Bio with the BJU text. We also purchased the CLEP/AP supplemental CD-ROM from DIVE. According to the rep at HEAV, this should be adequate to prepare for the AP test.

However, it seems that I've read where it's best to take the AP Bio test after completing an Advanced or AP Biology class as an upperclassman. It sounds like this is different than what she's doing now. I'd love to hear advice on this because I don't want to set her up for failure.

Thanks!

Pamela F. in VA

I'm a little confused about when this test should be taken. Dd is just a freshman and is doing DIVE Bio with the BJU text. We also purchased the CLEP/AP supplemental CD-ROM from DIVE. According to the rep at HEAV, this should be adequate to prepare for the AP test.

However, it seems that I've read where it's best to take the AP Bio test after completing an Advanced or AP Biology class as an upperclassman. It sounds like this is different than what she's doing now. I'd love to hear advice on this because I don't want to set her up for failure.

Thanks!

Pamela F. in VA

I can't really speak to the BJU text because I have never seen it. My dd is studying for the AP Biology test. Her bio text is the (5 pound) Campbell. She already took a honors bio class a few years ago. She also took Chemistry and there is quite a bit of chem on the ap bio test. Now, she is spending a minimum of 4 hours a day and several hours on the weekend. It is an incredible amount of work.

I don't know if this helps....

Holly

Most, but not all, take AP Bio after a 2nd year of studying Bio (and definitely after having had Chem). It's also important to use a college level book (though my college freshman's Bio teacher claims all books are high school level...). They go in a bit more depth than high school level books. The "usual" book used is Campbell's Biology, but of course, it's not the book that MUST be used.

If you are in doubt about taking it this coming May, pick up a prep book and thumb through the sample tests. Be certain it is a VERY up to date prep book as they changed this test recently.

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/sub_bio.html You can find a list of topics covered and sample questions here.

I haven't seen the product you mentioned, but I would be wary of preparing for the AP bio with a combo CLEP/AP product because the tests are really different from each other, both in the format and the depth of topics covered. Also, if your student decides to go for AP bio I would be sure to buy a current year book because the test has changed.

Hmmm . . . I'm teaching a biology class at our small co-op this year, and we are planning on taking the AP test in May. Before we decided to attempt the AP test, we decided to use DIVE with BJU. The boys are still using DIVE (and doing the BJU reading), but they are also using the Campbells book already mentioned in this thread.

I do not think the DIVE/BJU would be enough to do well on the AP, although I do think those are a lot more rigorous and in-depth than other Christian science curricula. Campbells just has so much more, especially in up-and-coming areas like cell communication and gene regulation, as well as of course evolution. We are young-earth creationists, but you can't take a test like AP without thoroughly knowing and understanding modern evolutionary theory in a lot of detail, I don't think.

Also, the test has changed for this year, as others have mentioned. The lab emphasis is different now (more problem-solving and designing your own labs, instead of following someone else's lab), and there is a lot more emphasis overall on making broad connections between different areas, as opposed to just memorizing facts. I've spent a lot of time on sites of other AP teachers to get a feel for how they are handling all this. DIVE just doesn't really do this, although I feel like it is good for the boys in my class to hear things from another perspective, or just hear the same info another time. But we definitely spend most of our class time on Campbells--DIVE/BJU is just extra, at this point.

Oh--the boys in my class are all in 10th or 9th grade, and they have had BJU Life Science and BJU Physical Science, both of which actually prepared them quite well for the depth and rigor of Campbells. They all have taken Algebra 1 previously and are good problem-solvers (having had lots of Latin, logic, etc. previously as well). We'll see how the test goes in May!

One last thing I thought of--the AP test prep guides out right now are not geared toward the new test. I bought on that came out in Sept 2012, and it is useless--not updated at all. One on Amazon is supposed to come out in February 2013, I believe, and I'll try again with that one. Not having any good test prep guides or old tests to study from definitely makes it more challenging, as far as making sure we are adequately preparing for the new exam.

In High School, the typical science track is gr 9- biology, either regular or honors, gr.10- chem, regular or honors, gr.11- physics, regular or honors, and gr12- elective, which would be AP bio, chem, or physics (or maybe two science APs for very science-inclined students).

I would treat gr 9 as biology honors if I were you. If dd is really into biology, she'll jump at the chance to do it twice during high school. Have her take the SAT -II for Bio at the end of this course, that will help place her in Advanced Intro Bio in college if she decides to go that route in college. If she passes the AP later, she can totally skip a semester of college intro bio.

(That's how it worked for me, I assume they still do SAT-IIs, etc)

Thanks everyone for the advice. Since dd wants to study geology/paleontology in college, I am thinking that the SAT subject area test for Biology might be a better option. I'm going to tell her all that you've said here and let her decide. What I expect is that she will not want to take Adv. Bio as an elective later in HS, but prefer to take something more related to the earth sciences.

Thanks again!