Menu

Recommendations for Language Arts 1st/2nd grade level

Mandylubug

My girls are just now at a 1st grade level of reading.. Reading is going very slowly but we are progressing. I have noticed most 2nd grade language arts expects them to be reading quite fluently by then... We should be ready for 2nd grade approximately in January with them since we are moving slower..

I have tried English for the Thoughtful Child and I didn't like it plus it was too much reading for the girls.

I am looking for something to push writing in complete sentences; start learning the parts of the sentence, etc...

We are currently using Phonics Pathways for reading and spelling and writing ( I have them write a sentence from their reading)

I would love something similar to MCT Grammar Island but it is too advanced for them.

Would love any recommendations so I can start researching :)

Have you looked into FLL or CGE? Dragon really enjoyed the Lifepacs for the short time we used them.

I have looked into FLL and I am scared of it because of the repetition of saying things three times, etc.. my girls already HATE that portion in their math curriculum... although, perhaps it works no matter how annoying it is to them LOL.

It looked similar to EFTTC so that is why I haven't looked much at it. what is CGE?

I have looked into FLL and I am scared of it because of the repetition of saying things three times, etc.. my girls already HATE that portion in their math curriculum... although, perhaps it works no matter how annoying it is to them LOL.

It looked similar to EFTTC so that is why I haven't looked much at it. what is CGE?

We're going through it, but I don't do any of the repetition and we do several lessons at a time, skipping the stuff that's already been done that day. My 5yo could recite "a noun is a person, place, thing, or idea" by the 2nd lesson on it, so every week or so I say "do you remember what a noun is?" and she recites it. But no way do I make her do the "repeat with me 3 times" thing that FLL says you should do.

FLL would be a good choice. It's oral and does not require much reading. You do not have to repeat things 3 times. Say it once, and maybe mention it later in the day sometime. You are in control.

I personally would not worry about answering in complete written sentences when they're still learning to read.

Anyone use the audio supplement with FLL?

and also do you use WWE? I noticed with WWE I can purchase the teacher, student workbook and I can also download the student pages?! What do I HAVE to have to use that curricula for writing?

Is it recommended to start both at the same time?

Well, have you thought of just working on establishing reading confidently and doing copywork to teach indirectly about proper sentence structure/punctuation etc.? I think that would make a lot of sense based on their reading abilities right now - I don't personally think you need to do much for LA until reading is established WELL.

Well, have you thought of just working on establishing reading confidently and doing copywork to teach indirectly about proper sentence structure/punctuation etc.? I think that would make a lot of sense based on their reading abilities right now - I don't personally think you need to do much for LA until reading is established WELL.

We have worked entirely on reading for a year. The progress is so slow; I do know by them listening in with their brother's MCT lessons and Practice Sentences daily that they know what nouns are and are interested in learning more. They want to do what the boys are doing but on their level. I have written them easier sentences and asked them to label the noun and verb in their daily journal. They do that just fine; including using capitals and punctuation correctly while doing copy work. I suppose I could continue to do what I am doing until they are reading fluently and smoothly.

OPG for phonics/reading is a great start. AAS is a good follow-up to OPG.

FLL Levels 1 & 2 are mostly oral, and you don't have to repeat everything more than what is needed to retain it. We used the audio CD because my girls like to sing everything. I worked through Level 1 with my oldest daughter when she was in Kindergarten, then Level 2 last year for 1st grade. She's ready now for FLL 3, and we are doing it, but...

I'm not doing FLL 1 with my twin K'ers this year. Why not? Well.... I don't think they need it, honestly. I didn't know that a few years ago, and while I'm not sorry we gently did Levels 1 & 2, I'm not sure how much is gained by doing it. So for the twins, I went through Level 1 and made a list of all the grammar concepts covered (only grammar). From time to time, I look at that list and teach them some aspect of grammar. I'm not convinced that it's imperative, though, just optional. KWIM? Reading is the key skill, not grammar. Grammar can come later.

WWE 1 focuses on copywork and simple narration skills; WWE 2 moves up into dictation and summary narrations. We also write letters to relatives, lists for shopping, thank you notes, and Christmas wish lists. ;)

Memoria Press has Story Time Treasures & More Story Time Treasures that your girls might enjoy. The study guides gently encourage reading and writing. We did this last year for 1st grade, and plan to do it again with our twins next year. Very enjoyable! I thought it was perfect for my daughter last year.

What are you using for guided reading practice (the student reads to you, while you gently guide her)? We've liked using McGuffey Readers, and the K-12 Readers are a nice set, too. My children are also eager to read from Christian Liberty Nature Readers.

Anyway, that's most of our English line-up so far: OPG, AAS, FLL, WWE, Real Life Writing, MP Lit Guides, McGuffey/K-12 Readers, and library books.

Hang in there! HTH.

OPG for phonics/reading is a great start. AAS is a good follow-up to OPG.

FLL Levels 1 & 2 are mostly oral, and you don't have to repeat everything more than what is needed to retain it. We used the audio CD because my girls like to sing everything. I worked through Level 1 with my oldest daughter when she was in Kindergarten, then Level 2 last year for 1st grade. She's ready now for FLL 3, and we are doing it, but...

I'm not doing FLL 1 with my twin K'ers this year. Why not? Well.... I don't think they need it, honestly. I didn't know that a few years ago, and while I'm not sorry we gently did Levels 1 & 2, I'm not sure how much is gained by doing it. So for the twins, I went through Level 1 and made a list of all the grammar concepts covered (only grammar). From time to time, I look at that list and teach them some aspect of grammar. I'm not convinced that it's imperative, though, just optional. KWIM? Reading is the key skill, not grammar. Grammar can come later.

WWE 1 focuses on copywork and simple narration skills; WWE 2 moves up into dictation and summary narrations. We also write letters to relatives, lists for shopping, thank you notes, and Christmas wish lists. ;)

Memoria Press has Story Time Treasures & More Story Time Treasures that your girls might enjoy. The study guides gently encourage reading and writing. We did this last year for 1st grade, and plan to do it again with our twins next year. Very enjoyable! I thought it was perfect for my daughter last year.

What are you using for guided reading practice (the student reads to you, while you gently guide her)? We've liked using McGuffey Readers, and the K-12 Readers are a nice set, too. My children are also eager to read from Christian Liberty Nature Readers.

Anyway, that's most of our English line-up so far: OPG, AAS, FLL, WWE, Real Life Writing, MP Lit Guides, McGuffey/K-12 Readers, and library books.

Hang in there! HTH.

for guided reading we just graduated from BOB books to McGuffey Readers and they are doing well with that. I also let them read harder books such as The Magic Tree House but I have to help them sound out every other word or so. It really is too difficult for them but they want to read it.

The Storytime Treasures looks really interesting but some of the reading looks advanced for them honestly.. But I do need to push them forward :)