Menu

How old to watch The Birds? Which Hitchcock movies should I start with?

I know everyone will have a different answer to this... But about how old were you when you first saw The Birds or other Hitchcock films? How old for your kids?

I was pretty young when I watched all of these. I watched all the spooky, creepy, (What Ever Happened to Baby Jane, The Bad Seed, The Birds) type stuff way younger than my kids.

:bigear:

I don't remember how old I was when I first watched The Birds (younger than 13 though) but it was pretty scary to me. I think most 10 and up could handle it unless you know they're super sensitive. FWIW, we started our kids off with North by Northwest, which they loved. This weekend we're watching Vertigo.

Hitchcock is creepy but not so gory (well, aside from Psycho, which <screech! screech! screech!> is both!)

I didn't see The Birds as a kid. I don't know, I watched more murder mystery type shows.

I really like "Shadow of a Doubt."

Okay, I put it on hold. I'll watch it first.

My younger likes tense, slightly scary stuff. Last year we tried to watch Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein and they had to turn it off. :001_smile:

They liked the old movie Them (but thought it was scary), yet they have no problem with Lord of the Rings movies.

My kids also love North by Northwest.

I've been thinking about previewing The Birds. I haven't seen it in years but I remember it being very creepy. I think my son would like it but my daughter might not. I do have fond memories of Vertigo but I'd probably rewatch that one too before sharing.

I'm glad to see this thread because we are always looking for good movies! My Dad introduced me to '30s and '40s movies as a kid and I still love them.

Okay, I put it on hold. I'll watch it first.

It's not too tense, but the basic plot is that a teenaged girl begins to suspect that her favorite uncle, who is visiting, is in fact the serial killer of the day, nicknamed the Merry Widowmaker. Is he or isn't he? I like it a lot. Plus, I love how snappy she dresses! It's not so terrifying as the others.

Dd14 has watched Rear Window, Jamaica Inn, Notorious, and North by Northwest. She has enjoyed all of them.

I recently saw the last half hour or so of The Birds. It was not as frightening as I remembered from my perspective of mom to a 12 and 14 year old. We will watch it soon. Just need the time.;)

We did watch Rear Window and ds did cry when the dog was killed:( Overall, we did like the movie though including my son.

Hmm... My kids would probably refuse to watch it after that. They won't even watch animal documentaries because they always show animals dying.

I love all Hitchcock movies! Rear Window is my favorite. I think my son watched them all at 7 or 8. He had no problems with any of them. If you have a bird phobia...skip "The Birds", although my best Halloween costume was Tippi Hedron with a "blood" smeared suit and lots of fake birds glued to me. :lol:

I love all Hitchcock movies! Rear Window is my favorite. I think my son watched them all at 7 or 8. He had no problems with any of them. If you have a bird phobia...skip "The Birds", although my best Halloween costume was Tippi Hedron with a "blood" smeared suit and lots of fake birds glued to me. :lol:

:lol: Great costume!

Oh, man. I just saw The Bad Seed recently. Seriously creepy movie! It really depends on your kids. Mine really don't care for anything scary, so they're probably just now ready for them (14 and 16).

Yeah I watched it last year. My kids aren't ready for that one. :tongue_smilie:

But, boy do I LOVE that movie!!

Lots of good Hitchcock but Vertigo is arguably the masterpiece.

Bill

Well, I sense a Hitchcock movie marathon coming, so I'll get back to you with my opinion on that one. :D

The last one I watched was Lifeboat. Not as exciting, but still fantastic!

Because special effects have come such a long way, The Birds seems ludicrous now rather than even the slightest bit creepy.

:lol:

I think that's one of the reasons I want my kids to watch older thrillers first, so that they can enjoy the genre and not laugh through them.

The effects are outdated but I think the acting and writing is great. When I was a kid I also just loved Hitchcock's whole "thing" also Vincent Price... Great presenters, great voices, great everything!

Right now they'd be scared out of their wits by some of these movies. Like I said earlier, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein scared them so much, they had to turn it off.

:lol:

I think that's one of the reasons I want my kids to watch older thrillers first, so that they can enjoy the genre and not laugh through them.

The effects are outdated but I think the acting and writing is great. When I was a kid I also just loved Hitchcock's whole "thing" also Vincent Price... Great presenters, great voices, great everything!

Right now they'd be scared out of their wits by some of these movies. Like I said earlier, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein scared them so much, they had to turn it off.

In that case, it isn't Hitchcock, but my kids laughed their way through "Arsenic and Old Lace".

Well, I sense a Hitchcock movie marathon coming, so I'll get back to you with my opinion on that one. :D

The last one I watched was Lifeboat. Not as exciting, but still fantastic!

Psycho and Rear Window are great ones too.

I did not buy into The Birds when I saw it as a child, but mine was a minority experience. I thought it was cheesy.

Bill (who has the old 39 Steps in his que)

Lots of good Hitchcock but Vertigo is arguably the masterpiece.

Bill

I love "Vertigo"!! And I would have married Jimmy Stewart in a heartbeat if he'd ever bothered to ask me. :D However, I adore Grace Kelly's wardrobe in "Rear Window", so that's my favorite. Shallow, but...you know...the Mark Cross bag got me. :lol:

I love "Vertigo"!! And I would have married Jimmy Stewart in a heartbeat if he'd ever bothered to ask me. :D However, I adore Grace Kelly's wardrobe in "Rear Window", so that's my favorite. Shallow, but...you know...the Mark Cross bag got me. :lol:

Grace Kelly had serious style.

Bill

entertaining but not too scary, include: lady vanishes, 39 steps, to catch a thief, witness for the prosecution, north by northwest, saboteur, foreign correspondent, jamaica inn,

scarier or more grownup: notorious, suspicion, rebecca,...

a good bit scarier but maybe not too much so is dial M for murder, but it is kind of creepy for children.

Edited by mathwonk