Menu

What can a slow person do for a living?

OK...I am waiting on the school to get back to me to start getting my 15yo accomodations for life after homeschool (whether that be college or trade school.) He is dysgraphic. This morning as I was contemplating things, I was thinking about what is really reasonable for him. (His last testing was done in 2nd grade, so its really out of date.) But, he scored in the bottom percentile for processing speed (meaning out of 100 kids he's the slowest.) He had other scores that were exceptionally high (like phonetic awareness and oral stuff.) He is slow in everything he does....chores, schoolwork, everything....he is accurate, but slow. What kind of jobs don't care how fast you work? I'm having trouble thinking of any (where writing and math aren't emphasized....engineering is out because of math!) Are there jobs that value slow, thoughtful processing? I guess he'd make a good philosopher....not sure how he'd make a living with that! He's smart...but slow....too smart not to have challenging job.

How is he with people? With repetition? With animals? Is he creative? Good with his hands? Does he like the outdoors? Is he mechanically intuitive?

What are his interests? Is he motivated to continue his education beyond high school?

How is he with people? With repetition? With animals? Is he creative? Good with his hands? Does he like the outdoors? Is he mechanically intuitive?

What are his interests? Is he motivated to continue his education beyond high school?

He is extremely shy. Used to hate repetition, but endures it better now. not particularly interested in animals. Creative verbally (with his brother...imagining sci fi stuff), but not with his hands. Likes drama, but very monotone and stiff, and can't memorize worth beans. HATES the outdoors. BUT he IS mechanically intuitive!! Likes new technology (but not necessarily skilled in anything...just likes to tell me what has been invented.) In other words, no interest in electronics labs like his brother, but loves to tell his brother if what he is doing has already been invented.) He liked geology for awhile, but not as much interest lately. He is good at fact accumulation, it seems, but not on memorization. Very skilled at arguing (thought he'd be a lawyer, but its "too much work.") If he goes to college, he'll have to take it very slow. He hasn't decided, yet.

What about drafting? It requires good spacial skills, but you don't need to able to draw or do any advanced math (arithmetic needs to be solid, though). It can be very mentally challenging but is not usually a fast-paced job. Accuracy is highly valued. My brother studied to be a draftsman, but his skill set (more social in nature...) didn't really fit.

My brother fixes the hospital machines like MRIs, CT, bone density scanners, etc. It is a very good job, takes no more than 2 yrs of CC, and doesn't require a lot of work with people. If he is mechanically-inclined, it might be a good choice (does require some electronics work though).

:grouphug:

Are you sure we don't have the same kid?

I'll be watching this thread!

:iagree:

Very similar issues with my ds15 as well! He is quite creative, loves to draw and cook, is an excellent reader and is developing into a very good writer, he just takes f.o.r.e.v.e.r to do anything. Slow processing speed and weak working memory coupled with high scores in other areas also. It is absolutely agonizing to watch him do his school work.

I have thought about working for himself, where he would be better able to set his own deadlines, although his customers would have to be satisfied. He is very sensitive and empathetic, so counseling of some sort comes to mind. There's no "rushing" in listening to people talk about their issues, although getting records and reports completed could be a challenge.

I'll be :bigear: for more ideas!

There are many trades that might fit him well - Plumbing, tile installation, woodworking, auto repair. You are often paid by the job, and coming back to repair errors is not an option, so accuracy is much more important than speed. They have the luxury of working in a different place on a regular basis, so boring repetition is not a problem.

And if he is creative/intuitive, the trades really need him. There are many guys who can do a job, but the ones who can build a complicated spiral stairway or trouble shoot a problem radiant floor are worth their weight in gold.

My brother fixes the hospital machines like MRIs, CT, bone density scanners, etc. It is a very good job, takes no more than 2 yrs of CC, and doesn't require a lot of work with people. If he is mechanically-inclined, it might be a good choice (does require some electronics work though).

This sounds like something he might like. What kind of degree at cc did he get? and where?

Restaurant inspector?

Home inspector?

Notary public (attending closings etc. ... you just have to stamp and sign things)?

My husband would actually prefer doing home inspections to what he is doing now...the only problem is what he is doing now pays more.

My son didn't rule it out, but I think he is more interested in technical things. Thanks for the great ideas, though! Its helping me see potential instead of worry! :-)

What about drafting? It requires good spacial skills, but you don't need to able to draw or do any advanced math (arithmetic needs to be solid, though). It can be very mentally challenging but is not usually a fast-paced job. Accuracy is highly valued. My brother studied to be a draftsman, but his skill set (more social in nature...) didn't really fit.

Great idea. He might consider it. :) Again...the more ideas, the less that I feel he'll never find work. :-)

:iagree:

I have thought about working for himself, where he would be better able to set his own deadlines, although his customers would have to be satisfied. He is very sensitive and empathetic, so counseling of some sort comes to mind. There's no "rushing" in listening to people talk about their issues, although getting records and reports completed could be a challenge.

Yes, my son has stated he wants to be his own boss.....I pity any boss he has, with his propensity for arguing, lol! Unfortunately, my son has NO empathy (though I'm starting to see glimmers of it.) But who knows...some of the things I was weakest in as a kid were of far more interest to me in my adult life. A weak start in empathy could mean that's something he'll crave and gravitate toward! (I'd like that :-) )

My son is also in the 1st percentile for processing speed. It was explained to me that functionally it takes my son twice as long as an average person to do those particular tasks. There are many jobs where speed (as it is measured on processing speed tests) is less important.

However, you might want to get updated testing. Processing speed can change with time. My son's started out testing low at age 7, was average at ages 9 and 12, and then was low (1st percentile) again at age 14. Updated testing will also allow you to apply for accommodations for the SAT which are critical for kids with processing speed issues who want to attend college.

My son is also in the 1st percentile for processing speed. It was explained to me that functionally it takes my son twice as long as an average person to do those particular tasks. There are many jobs where speed (as it is measured on processing speed tests) is less important.

However, you might want to get updated testing. Processing speed can change with time. My son's started out testing low at age 7, was average at ages 9 and 12, and then was low (1st percentile) again at age 14. Updated testing will also allow you to apply for accommodations for the SAT which are critical for kids with processing speed issues who want to attend college.

Thank you for pointing this out! This is something I need to do.

There are many trades that might fit him well - Plumbing, tile installation, woodworking, auto repair. You are often paid by the job, and coming back to repair errors is not an option, so accuracy is much more important than speed. They have the luxury of working in a different place on a regular basis, so boring repetition is not a problem.

And if he is creative/intuitive, the trades really need him. There are many guys who can do a job, but the ones who can build a complicated spiral stairway or trouble shoot a problem radiant floor are worth their weight in gold.

Mike Rowe from "Dirty Jobs" has some resources about trades and the need for skilled labor. http://www.mikeroweworks.com/job-site/ There's even a tab for special needs. Since the op's said her son is mechanically inclined, the trades are definately worth exploring.

Things like furniture or art restoration, radiology (both as tech properly setting up the views or as MD analyzing the scans), and accounting (which with calculators and computers is not really that math intensive these days) also may put value on accuracy over speed.

Things like furniture or art restoration, radiology (both as tech properly setting up the views or as MD analyzing the scans), and accounting (which with calculators and computers is not really that math intensive these days) also may put value on accuracy over speed.

Oh I like those ideas! I have a cousin who probably fits this mold and he makes beautiful furniture to sell.

I have no answers, but here are some issues (in no particular order) that we struggled w/when trying to help our very slow( 1st and 3rd percentile processing scores), methodical ds (he has other issues beyond slow processing speed, however he is very intelligent and is academically solid.)

* How does he cope w/stress?

* How does he work w/others/group situations?

* How is he at self-management? Staying on task? Self-direction?

* How does he respond to critical assessments of work?

* How does he manage multi-step projects/directions?

* How does his ability to do the job compare to other individuals doing the same job? (if not self-employed, speed of performance for certain jobs will become an employability issue)

Those are just a few of the questions we worked through.

Computer programming or networking. Indoors, You do not work with people really, is slow paced and a very mellow work environment.

LOL...my husband and I have experience in this area! His brother will likely end up there or electronics engineering...this child not so much! I disagree that you can work slowly...my husband has been under incredible pressure that my son would not be capable of dealing with (though I worked in consulting where I admit....they weren't too pleased with how fast I worked...and I couldn't understand why they weren't impressed, lol. In school, people were impressed by fast work....I was expecting the accolades in the real world, lol. ) He actually might be good at consulting...because he 'sounds' so intelligent. :-) Getting the degree would be VERY challenging for him, though. OK...he honestly couldn't get a degree...and job options would be limited without it. (My husband has first-hand experience there.)

It sounds like he wants to pursue becoming a robotics technician. Lets hope that is slow-paced enough for him, and doesn't require too much math!

Thanks for all the ideas, though! I feel much less inclined to believe "this child is never going to be able to hold a job, he works so slow." I think home inspection would be perfect for him...and the report writing he could do with help (secretary or dragon naturally speaking.) I can't convince him, though. For now, we're looking into robotics techician school requirements.

Industrial mechanic? Fixing large machines, especially pneumatics like what is often used in theme parks, is a skill set in need. I'd suggest airplane mechanic, but ever since the advent of "LEAN" coming over from Asia, airplane mechanics are expected to kick out jobs in about half the time they previously did.

Not a lot of suggestions but I would get updated testing SOON as some places require it 1-3 years before the SAT, etc. as otherwise people would get the testing right before the test when the child doesn't really have a history of special needs.

There also might be some online career tests he could take where you answer what things you like, don't like, etc. and it gives you a list of things to consider.

I guess he'd make a good philosopher....not sure how he'd make a living with that! He's smart...but slow....too smart not to have challenging job.

I don't know how serious the philosopher suggestion was, but dh is a professional philosopher; these days it involves a great deal of advanced mathematics, and conference talks/discussions are very fast-paced, quick-on-your-feet affairs. (Plus there are no jobs to be had and the pay is dismal.)

I have no answers, but here are some issues (in no particular order) that we struggled w/when trying to help our very slow( 1st and 3rd percentile processing scores), methodical ds (he has other issues beyond slow processing speed, however he is very intelligent and is academically solid.)

* How does he cope w/stress?

* How does he work w/others/group situations?

* How is he at self-management? Staying on task? Self-direction?

* How does he respond to critical assessments of work?

* How does he manage multi-step projects/directions?

* How does his ability to do the job compare to other individuals doing the same job? (if not self-employed, speed of performance for certain jobs will become an employability issue)

Those are just a few of the questions we worked through.

Thank you. Those are helpful questions to consider....and unfortunately these are mostly areas he struggles in. :/ May I ask what your ds ended up doing?

I don't know how serious the philosopher suggestion was, but dh is a professional philosopher; these days it involves a great deal of advanced mathematics, and conference talks/discussions are very fast-paced, quick-on-your-feet affairs. (Plus there are no jobs to be had and the pay is dismal.)

Very interesting. I've never heard of a philosopher job...I guess there's a reason why...they aren't very common! Guess math puts that job out of reach, anyway.

Computer programming or networking. Indoors, You do not work with people really, is slow paced and a very mellow work environment.

:iagree:And sometimes someone who is slow but accurate is perceived as faster because they do not have to waste as much time finding and correcting mistakes. In the networking field, installing the wiring and/or fiber optics in buildings is a more hands on physical option.

Thank you. Those are helpful questions to consider....and unfortunately these are mostly areas he struggles in. :/ May I ask what your ds ended up doing?

Probably not the answer that you want to hear, but we have finally come to terms w/the fact that a low level routine/repetitive job is what he is best suited for. He just finished a stint at Goodwill via the state's Dept of Rehabilitative Services job training/evaluation and he loved it.

I describe how we got here in this thread http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=385018 FWIW, our ds is incredibly strong academically. He is disabled by his inability to cope w/the abstract, the bigger picture that needs him to fill it in, multiple steps/stages that are not spelled out, any real stress/pressure, lacks self-control, self-management, pacing, etc.

I describe how we got here in this thread http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=385018 FWIW, our ds is incredibly strong academically. He is disabled by his inability to cope w/the abstract, the bigger picture that needs him to fill it in, multiple steps/stages that are not spelled out, any real stress/pressure, lacks self-control, self-management, pacing, etc.

Wow. That does very much describe my son....he doesn't have a dx, but I've always thought he sounded like Aspergers (though he was delayed enough in speech they might call it HFA.) The slow pace he works/lack of output was the only thing that was concerning me, but this shows me its not the only concern. I can see him arguing with his boss that he didn't TELL him to do that (when he really did), or answering, "Huh?" to every oral direction even after its been repeated 3 times....the same things that frustrate me at home probably won't be tolerated in a job. Just when I was feeling better....

He's always wanted to start a home business...but he wanted me to tell him what to do!! I never had any interest....it sounded like a lot of work to me. I still wouldn't have a clue what he/we could do. His rages stopped with puberty, fortunately....before that my husband was considering entering the construction industry so that he could work beside him (teach him a trade while babysitting him.) That wasn't necessary, fortunately...I don't know how we'd have managed that financially. He's made so much progress the last few years...its like his brain finally turned on...but there are still deficits (mostly the ones you described). Its hard at this point to know if he's catching up lost time, or truly permanently disabled. How do you know until you try?

I was put on a waiting list for a doctor to get him diagnosed...its been so long ago, I don't even remember who it was with!! We keep waffling on getting a dx because it could impact his ability to enter the military, or get other jobs. But in all likelihood, the dx is probably more likely to help him than hinder. Its such a tough call when your child is high functioning!! I feel renewed pressure though to figure out who we called and follow up.

I wanted to post to share my ds's walking on clouds!! He just received a call from the supervisor. They were impressed w/his work ethic (he is a hard worker......it is complex issues that overwhelm him) and they have submitted his name for open positions in our area. He should be getting a call from the hiring director soon.

He is so proud of himself. And so he should be. The problem was from our perspective thinking that he should be able to accomplish more. But, you know what, our ds has stated that he likes the work environment. He specifically stated that he likes the fact they don't give more than 2 step directions and that everything is clearly defined. He was happy there during the training/evaluation. And today, he is dancing through the house b/c this accomplishment is completely and totally his and leading to a job he was hoping he would get.

Wow. That does very much describe my son....he doesn't have a dx, but I've always thought he sounded like Aspergers (though he was delayed enough in speech they might call it HFA.) The slow pace he works/lack of output was the only thing that was concerning me, but this shows me its not the only concern. I can see him arguing with his boss that he didn't TELL him to do that (when he really did), or answering, "Huh?" to every oral direction even after its been repeated 3 times....the same things that frustrate me at home probably won't be tolerated in a job. Just when I was feeling better....

He's always wanted to start a home business...but he wanted me to tell him what to do!! I never had any interest....it sounded like a lot of work to me. I still wouldn't have a clue what he/we could do. His rages stopped with puberty, fortunately....before that my husband was considering entering the construction industry so that he could work beside him (teach him a trade while babysitting him.) That wasn't necessary, fortunately...I don't know how we'd have managed that financially. He's made so much progress the last few years...its like his brain finally turned on...but there are still deficits (mostly the ones you described). Its hard at this point to know if he's catching up lost time, or truly permanently disabled. How do you know until you try?

I was put on a waiting list for a doctor to get him diagnosed...its been so long ago, I don't even remember who it was with!! We keep waffling on getting a dx because it could impact his ability to enter the military, or get other jobs. But in all likelihood, the dx is probably more likely to help him than hinder. Its such a tough call when your child is high functioning!! I feel renewed pressure though to figure out who we called and follow up.

From our perspective, anything that a diagnosis would hinder is probably not a good match for our ds anyway. DRS has been a huge blessing.

Good luck w/your decisions. I hope that you find some answers.