Menu

Latin Help ?

Hi,

What would you suggest for kids who are doing well in Jenny's Latin (first year)?

They are in a school now, but are coming home and would like to continue their Latin. I looked up Jenny's Latin to purchase, but the teacher's manual is very expensive. I can't do that, so what would be something comparable and less expensive. Also, it has to be pretty independent (which they are good at.)

Any suggestions? I'm all ears :bigear:

How expensive is it? Jenney's has been in publication since before Caesar invaded Gaul, so maybe there are used copies around you could pick up for cheap?

Otherwise, Wheelock is a perfectly fine grammar-based approach to Latin, similar to Jenney, again, you should be able to get used copies cheap, and there is an answer manual floating around the internet, you should be able to find for free.

Edited by GGardner

• 1 year later...

I was just looking at Jenney's Latin as well.  It has many positives about it.  I'm with you, I like it and want to try it, but it is expensive, even for used copies on Amazon.  I'm thinking of trying Latin for the New Millenium for my beginner student.  They incorporate stories and make it more interesting rather than just a straight up grammar book.

How do you like Wheelock?

We do Jenney Latin. Our charter school purchased the first year teacher's Manuel for us when we were still involved. Otherwise I would have dismissed it due to expense as well. However, we haven't really needed it at all. I use it for tests, but nothing else. You honestly do not need it with how well the books are laid out. Check ebay and half dot com for the texts. We got second year for about 15 dollars, both third and fourth year for under ten dollars each.