Menu

preschool/kindergarten daily program

visitor

Hello everybody,

I am new here this week and have learnt a lot.

My ds is almost 4 years and I am reading a lot now to him. My question how does your day look like. I would like to know how is your daily schedule. How long do you read to him a load and what do you do more and how long? Do you have fixed daily schedule.

I am hoping to read a lot of answers so I can learn from it.

For now I am read 1,5 hours a load. Using singapore math kindergarten and we count a lot maby 15 minutes a day. And writing i think 15 minutes a day . Thats it .

Looking forward to your answers....

Thanks,

Visitor

Welcome! Wow, it sounds to me like you're doing A LOT. I have a 4 year-old and this is what we do: 2 pages Explode the Code (writing/phonics), one lesson Saxon K Math (about 10 minutes), 10 minutes of the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading. I spend about an hour a day reading aloud, but mostly in small bursts. The rest of the time is free play, games, puzzles, errands, etc.

1.5hrs? WOW. Thats a lot for K. We are using Rod & Staff ABC series and that takes maybe 30mins a day? We read 1 chapter a night with my 2nd grader for a read aloud and thats it.

Check out your HSing laws wherever you are- I bet you are doing way too much when you dont have to. :grouphug:

1.5hrs? WOW. Thats a lot for K. We are using Rod & Staff ABC series and that takes maybe 30mins a day? We read 1 chapter a night with my 2nd grader for a read aloud and thats it.

Check out your HSing laws wherever you are- I bet you are doing way too much when you dont have to. :grouphug:

Really I have read to my ds for 30 minutes a day. Then I met a mother who read to her dd 3 hours a day. I had the feeling that I didnt do much with my ds. Maby I am going to read less then. But to tell you the truth my ds loves it when i read to him. But I dont do it in one time. I think in 4 or 5 times .

All told, I probably read to my almost-four-year-old for an hour. Usually we do a story or two before quiet time, a story or two in between big brother's lessons, and a story at night.

One of these stories will be from a fun program called Before Five in a Row, which is a gentle pre-k curriculum.

For "math" she does some Cuisinaire rod activities or abacus activities while brother does an actual math lesson.

For reading, she wanted her own reading lesson like big brother, so we do some very low-level phonics- she can now sound out simple 3 letter words like CAT or SIT.

For pre-writing skills, she produces (without my insistence) AT LEAST one "drawing" per day, which usually also involves the fine motor skills of scotch taping, stapling, folding, scribbling, cutting... and making a nice big mess.

At her age, I would never insist on any of this. All I ask of her is that she says her pleases and thank yous, and occasionally stops talking long enough to let someone else get a word in edgewise. :-)

My 3yo listens to read alouds at bed time, school time, and often inserts herself into history and science. My six-year-old reads a book aloud before quiet time. She sometimes works out of the Activity Book for What Your Preschooler Needs to Know. It's gentle and quick and pre-done for me. On Fridays she does a letter craft. The rest of the time, she plays outside, plays on the iPad, looks at books or plays with toys.

I read to all of my kids for about an hour in the morning. This includes a toddler/preschool Bible, picture books, and one chapter from our current read-aloud. Preschool dd also does math activities (a la RightStart, which I'm using with my older kids), handwriting, and pre-reading games (letter sounds, rhyming games, etc. We'll probably start word building by the end of the year). This takes maybe 30 minutes a day, plus we do crafts, cleaning, or baking/dinner prep together in the afternoon.

The rest of her day is filled with playtime inside, outside, and alone (aka quiet time, while her older siblings do some school work).

Really I have read to my ds for 30 minutes a day. Then I met a mother who read to her dd 3 hours a day. I had the feeling that I didnt do much with my ds. Maby I am going to read less then. But to tell you the truth my ds loves it when i read to him. But I dont do it in one time. I think in 4 or 5 times .

Well the solution to your issue is to stop comparing yourself to others. You NEED to do what works for you and your children and not worry about what or how others are doing it.

:grouphug:

Thanks all for your answers, and motivations. I am going to stay to read 1,5 hours a load because the love it. You are right I should not be to worry a lot. Maybe it is because I just started homeschooling. Thanks all for your great advises and schedules

Edited by visitor

My 3.5 year old doesn't really have a schedule. We do about 5-10 minutes of â€school†because big brothers are doing it - he insists. That school usually involves the R&S ABC series, which is coloring, cutting, pasting, and pre-writing skills. I probably read to him about an hour a day if you count Bible and older kid read-alouds that he sits in on.

The rest of the day, my son either helps me with housework or he plays outside or in the toy room. I encourage a lot of independent, imaginative play.

I don't require school work until age 5 (school age here). Any school work before that is on a when they ask basis. I talk to them throughout the day, so they're constantly learning. I joke that I won't have to teach my current 3 year old elementary stuff because he's learning it all from big brothers. DS1 even teaches him multiplication facts (though he doesn't know what multiplication is). Even my oldest learned a lot during the preschool years without me actively trying to teach him. In fact, he resisted anything that resembled â€schoolâ€. He still started K knowing all the K material and some beyond. It's amazing how much kids learn just by being around a parent who talks to them and answers their questions. :)