Menu

Gluten free ? again - how to find out good info

Yes, I am in my first week of going gluten free. I am trying to learn all that I can, but I haven't been able to find a source for some simple questions. Any blogs, or sites that you recommend?

Questions I have are basically what common foods have gluten in them and what ones don't? For example, does chocolate have gluten? Does jello pudding mix have gluten? Is ice cream gluten free? Etc.

There are not simple answers to you questions, most pre prepared meals that you buy will be a no go. Gluten can be in just about anything, spices, marinades, ice cream, lunchmeats, nuts, candy and on and on. The only way to do it is to read labels. Now for some helpful tips...

Breyers Ice Cream - some do not have wheat listed on the ingredients and dh is able to eat. This leaves out flavors like cookie dough flavored that obviously will have wheat. I think he can do Mayfield and he can do some flavors of some store brands.

Leah and Perrins is a safe Worch. Sauce.

Use tamari sauce instead of soy sauce. Soy sauce's top ingredient is wheat, tamari is made from soy not wheat.

We have found that most single seasonings haven't been a problem, if you want mixed seasoning you have to read the label.

Some Chex cereal is now gluten free,

Planters Nuts are safe. I know some one that was in management at their plants and they clean their equipment really well so as to not have cross contamination. He was familiar with some of the other brands facilities and the same could not be said.

Meats are fine, but if they are marinated in anything you need to read the label.

Lunchmeat is case by case. Boar's Head is gf and their is another brand that I know is as well, but I don't remember which one.

Chocolate in and of itself is gf. You have to be careful of what is in with the chocolate.

Some of the frozen bags of french fries have food starch which is a no go. Ore Ida has always been fine.

Fruits and veggies fresh, frozen and canned should be fine unless you get some thing that is a weird mix.

Be careful of salad dressings, dh likes ranch and Ken's is gf, there are some store brands that he can eat, but there are some brands that have food starch.

You can eat potatoes, white rice, brown rice, corn, specifically gf oatmeal, canned and dried beans although be careful of stuff like refried beans and stuff like Bushes beans. Dh can do the vegetarian baked beans, but not a lot of the other flavors.

I am not sure about jello pudding mix because dh isn't a pudding person.

When reading labels I look for the terms flour, wheat, food starch, barley, malt, rye, or any of the grains I am not sure of like semolina, I don't buy it. Also if it says it was processed in a plant with flour, I will buy it. Dh is pretty sensitive to it, but not to that extent. I know there are people who are more sensitive to gluten than her is. If you have specific questions I can try to answer. We have been doing this for close to a decade now. Hope that helps.

Edited by Mama Geek

Yes, I am in my first week of going gluten free. I am trying to learn all that I can, but I haven't been able to find a source for some simple questions. Any blogs, or sites that you recommend?

Questions I have are basically what common foods have gluten in them and what ones don't? For example, does chocolate have gluten? Does jello pudding mix have gluten? Is ice cream gluten free? Etc.

General information:

http://www.celiac.com/articles/...Gluten-Free-Food-List.../Page1.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gluten-free-diet/my01140

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-look-for-gluten-in-ingredient-lists.html

Blogs:

http://glutenfreegirl.com/

http://www.glutenfreediva.com/

http://www.blogs.com/topten/top-10-best-gluten-free-blogs/

There's a tear-out list of ingredients to watch for in "Living Without" magazine, and their recipes are really good. Here's a link to their quick start guide: http://www.livingwithout.com/resources/gluten_free.html

HIH,

Lisa

I just wanted to add...there is no "simple" list...BUT you should learn all the ingredients listed for gluten. There are a LOT that you would never imagine had gluten. Here is one list I found...

http://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsafe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Unsafe-Ingredients/Page1.html

It is TOO long to post here! I would keep a little list on your phone or a cheat sheet in your purse while shopping.

Honestly, even those items you think are GF and were in the past.....gotta check labels. I have had to drop some things over the years that changed ingredients.

Once I find something we like, I buy in bulk. I did the recipe thing for a year but I spent so much time in the kitchen! I now have box mixes I like and keep on hand for quick, easy baking. And yep, I just placed a large bulk order of a new group of products b/c they were better than my old standby's.

So keep trying new things. I am finding the offerings to be getting better and better. But you have to keep checking the labels.

It gets easier. but it's like a part time job...the research part. :D

I've not found much chocolate to have gluten, unless it is bars with fillings or crispy stuff. Sadly, most do contain soy, or are processed where wheat is around. You've got to watch out for that. I've lost count of how many things I've had to put back because of "Processed in a plant that processes WHEAT and SOY.

But there are some good options for chocolate that is gluten free, soy free, dairy free.

What gets me the most are restaurants. You just can't assume safe. We eat out a lot less now that I am gluten-free. I got to feeling so good once I eliminated gluten and soy that I don't ever want to feel bad again. So I probably don't eat things I could eat, just because of the prospect of gluten contamination.

My ultimate sneaky gluten food--chips, and drink mixes. Beware. Maltodextrin is one thing that is often derived from wheat--not always, corn maltodextrin for example---but that's one word to watch out for.

But you can be prepared for some good surprises with gluten free. For one thing, quick-breads made with gluten free flours are almost always very tender. I presented my mother with my gluten-free banana bread which I adapted with Teff, tapioca flour and some brown-rice flour and she thought is was better than what she made with wheat flour. And she isn't one to give false praise. So get ready to be pleased. Gluten free does not mean taste free by any means.

I'm doing Whole30 right now (no sugar, no dairy, no grains for 30 days). I eat nothing more processed than canned coconut milk or puréed canned pumpkin. I feel better than I have in years. Real food is amazing! :)

I have an autoimmune disease (Hashimoto's thyroiditis) and gluten seems to be something that can make it worse. I will most likely stay off gluten or have it only rarely once my 30 days are up. Coconut and almond flour can be used for baking some things, but I will probably give up regular bread and crackers. I won't bother with buying gluten-free replacements of those items since they are usually much more expensive and unlikely to taste as good.

I've completely shifted how I eat from being based on grains to being based on meat and veggies/fruits. I've lost 4% of my body weight in 11 days and several inches off my waist and hips. My muscles feel more relaxed. My blood sugar is more stable throughout the day. I no longer crash in the afternoons. It's amazing. :)

My ultimate sneaky gluten food--chips, and drink mixes. Beware. Maltodextrin is one thing that is often derived from wheat--not always, corn maltodextrin for example---but that's one word to watch out for.

Maltodextrin does not have gluten.

From the FDA

(a) Maltodextrin ((C6H10O5)n, CAS Reg. No. 9050-36-6) is a nonsweet nutritive saccharide polymer that consists of D-glucose units linked primarily by [alpha]-1-4 bonds and that has a dextrose equivalent (D.E.) of less than 20. It is prepared as a white powder or concentrated solution by partial hydrolysis of corn starch, potato starch, or rice starch with safe and suitable acids and enzymes.

Note: FDA also permits the use of other starches including wheat. For example, if wheat is used it must be labeled "wheat maltodextrin". But if you just see the single word "maltodextrin" it is from one of the specified sources, all of which are gluten-free.

Link

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=184.1444

It is all very confusing at first. Celiac.com is a good source of information. If you're unsure about an ingredient, you can put it in the search engine there and get information about it.

Edited by kitten18

Note: FDA also permits the use of other starches including wheat. For example, if wheat is used it must be labeled "wheat maltodextrin". But if you just see the single word "maltodextrin" it is from one of the specified sources, all of which are gluten-free.
Very good to know. Most foods I've been seeing lately have specified the source of the maltodextrin which makes me feel better. For instance, I tend to see things with "corn maltodextrin" so I know I'm safe with that. Technically, I guess they would not need to do that, but it sure does help me.

I've also noticed that some labels show "rice maltodextrin", for instance the turkey I bought has the maltodextrin as part of the additional fluid. Now why a turkey needs maltodextrin as part of the soaking solution, well, I don't know. But again it is nice to see maltodextrin sources shown.

I suspect that is why I am still somewhat suspicious if the source is not shown, but it appears my suspicion is unfounded.

Edited by Critterfixer

when i first went gluten free, the forums on celiac.com were a lifeline! i'm on a yahoo list run by gingerlemongirl, i think its gluten free recipes? I also love the Gluten free Goddess website.

there are lists of hundreds of things which supposedly have gluten, but most of them dont . . at least not in the US. Like caramel color is not made from wheat in the US.

and i agree - read the labels. some cheaper brands of broth contain wheat in them! some hams are glazed with wheat! some jelly beans are made with wheat, as is licorice! very annoying!

veritaserum, that sounds awesome! i know i need to try to go sugar and grain free at some point, but i'm not ready right now . . . eating candy corn out of the bag, hidden inside another bag on my desk . . .

I'll say this, though. I went gluten-free back in November of last year. At that time, our local grocery store had very little to offer that was GF, and nothing was labeled on the shelf.

Today, I can walk into that store and find GF bread on the front shelves as I go in. Most aisles now have GF offerings marked with a sticker on the shelf. And the variety is increasing every day.

Now if they'd just mark soy free for me.....:D

At any rate, I no longer need to make a two hour drive out of town just to find certified GF cornmeal or oats. It's getting easier, and that's just in the last year.