Menu

In need of a how to teach writing book

Have you looked at Comprehensive Composition? It gives you the guidance of what needs to be taught and when, but you get to decide the topics to use for writing. For example, on of the writing types is a friendly letter. My son is working through the instructions and sample as he writes thank you letters for his birthday gifts. Thank you cards and writing instruction in one- I love multitasking!

The older WTM book, before Writing With Ease was written, has some great instructions for doing just that. The main, hardback WWE book could help for the grammar stage, too.

For the older kids The Lively Art of Writing is an inexpensive gem. It breaks essays down into non-intimidating parts and pieces and makes it easy. My 12yo was very unsure of me putting her in this course this year, but she's really enjoyed it so far. After we finish this book I'm just going to have her write and revise for the rest of the year, with a good writing handbook nearby. (If you do go with Lively Art, be prepared to give your kids alternative topics to write about. The kid issues of the day it was written don't mean much to today's kids.)

For younger kids, I also suggest Any Child Can Write by Harvey Weiner.

Also, I am currently reading The Writer's Jungle from Braverwriter's Julie Bogart, and I love what I've read so far.

Both these books tell you how to teach writing in an organic manner, as part of everyday learning. You won't find structured writing lessons, schedules and forms.

Edit: You may find TWJ expensive (I did) but Any Child Can Write is very cheaply available on half.com.

The older WTM book, before Writing With Ease was written, has some great instructions for doing just that.

Which part of the book is this in? I'm currently reading the 1999 WTM and comparing it with my 2004 WTM. The grammar stage chapters look almost the same, except for the curriculum recommendations.

Which part of the book is this in? I'm currently reading the 1999 WTM and comparing it with my 2004 WTM. The grammar stage chapters look almost the same, except for the curriculum recommendations.

I don't have the older editions in my possession anymore. I upgraded as my loaned out copies were never returned. :001_smile: The instructions in the first edition were enough for me to successfully do "WTM-style" writing across the curriculum with my oldest two kids before WWE was written.

Since I don't feel comfortable just winging it I do a guide book.

Are you looking for a writing reference? I use Write Source 2000. We're using WS as reference. It has explanations and then a sample. It also has a page of writing guidelines for each writing activity. It covers sentences all the way to essays.

Are you guys looking for this? http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Writer-Writing-Ease/dp/193333925X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349953087&sr=8-1&keywords=writing+with+ease