Menu

Texas School District Tracking IDs

:001_huh: I understand what they are trying to do, but this isn't the way to do it.

I wonder when someone with enough power will "man up" and do something about the real reasons why kids aren't in school/are failing/etc/etc and stop with all this expensive trial and error carp. :glare:

This is revolting, and yes, it is true, according to other news sites.

Asking students to wear an ID badge is fine. Asking them to be tracked at all times by chips, to swipe in regularly, and be called at home several times a week is NOT fine. It is way over the top.

Big Brother, in action, slowly taking over our lives. Indoctrinate the children to get them used to it, and you've got it done.

Edited by TranquilMind

TM, would you please edit your comment? I really don't want this to become a political thread, and either get closed or deleted, thanks.

Well, it was implemented into law, so it kind of is political.

But I did it.

I'm just really surprised that it is Texas, of all places, rather than someplace like Massachusetts or New York or California.

Time for private school or homeschooling, if I were in that state.

But I did it.

I'm just really surprised that it is Texas, of all places, rather than someplace like Massachusetts or New York or California.

Thanks

:iagree: I was surprised to see it happening in Texas.

No kidding! Texas? And a preschool in California did this? I'm amazed that more parents aren't standing up to schools and refusing to allow their children to participate. Why on earth would a school need to know where a student is at 8 p.m.? Every aspect of this program is insane.

"A statement on the school district's website lays out the program's goals: to increase student safety and security, increase attendance and offer a multi-purpose "smart" student ID card that streamlines grounds access and purchasing power." Ah, yes. The old "safety and security" argument.

ETA: The statement on the school district's website is comforting: "Parents entrust us with their children and expect that we always know where their children are; this technology will help us do that." Um, so they've had problems with losing children before? ;-)

Edited by Cricket

:iagree:Unfortunately, I don't find it particularly surprising.

The RFID chip has already been approved for use in humans. This is a way of priming the pump so that kids won't resist when they want to inject them a few years down the road....all for "your convenience", of course.

Mark of the beast, indeed.

This stuff really pisses me off. I hope the parents and kids protest on a big scale. If I were close to Texas, I'd go protest with them. This is pure evil in its intent, designed to look innocuous and helpful.

"A statement on the school district's website lays out the program's goals: to increase student safety and security, increase attendance and offer a multi-purpose "smart" student ID card that streamlines grounds access and purchasing power." Ah, yes. The old "safety and security" argument.

Yeah. Isn't that comforting? It's all for my kid's safety and security.

BS.

Cricket:

ETA: The statement on the school district's website is comforting: "Parents entrust us with their children and expect that we always know where their children are; this technology will help us do that."

Um, NO. The school was only responsible for the kids while they were actually there. The school has no business "always knowing where their children are".

No kidding! Texas? And a preschool in California did this? I'm amazed that more parents aren't standing up to schools and refusing to allow their children to participate. Why on earth would a school need to know where a student is at 8 p.m.? Every aspect of this program is insane.

Yeah, what is up with the 8pm check in. Whose children are these?

The RFID chip has already been approved for use in humans. This is a way of priming the pump so that kids won't resist when they want to inject them a few years down the road....all for "your convenience", of course.

Mark of the beast, indeed.

This stuff really pisses me off. I hope the parents and kids protest on a big scale. If I were close to Texas, I'd go protest with them. This is pure evil in its intent, designed to look innocuous and helpful.

:iagree:But I think it is two-fold. Indoctrination along with follow the money.

Yeah, what is up with the 8pm check in. Whose children are these?

:iagree: Sheesh. One of my kids was in public cyber school and he didn't have to check in that much! We did have phone meetings every other week to every week, but it wasn't intrusive and using the cyber school was optional.

I know I shouldn't be shocked, but I am.

And in Texas, of all places!

But I did it.

:iagree: I was surprised to see it happening in Texas.

Of course it's in Texas. It's like that cool/uncool state thread, reputations don't necessarily match reality. I've found TX public schools to ignore parental rights and get in my business much more than it's individualistic reputation would lead you to expect. The root of it is the way schools are financed. They want every warm body in school everyday to maximize funding. That's the real reason behind these tags.

Of course it's in Texas. It's like that cool/uncool state thread, reputations don't necessarily match reality. I've found TX public schools to ignore parental rights and get in my business much more than it's individualistic reputation would lead you to expect. The root of it is the way schools are financed. They want every warm body in school everyday to maximize funding. That's the real reason behind these tags.

But my state wants that too! Parents are pestered incessantly, even if your kid is not one who is ditching school. The school gets funding on "body count day" (or whatever they call it) in late September.

Does Texas require a count monthly or something in order to keep funds?

I do realize that the root of this evil, as in all evils, is the love of money.

I'm pretty sure it's done in Massachusetts. I remember reading about it. I'll look for a link.

But my state wants that too! Parents are pestered incessantly, even if your kid is not one who is ditching school. The school gets funding on "body count day" (or whatever they call it) in late September.

Does Texas require a count monthly or something in order to keep funds?

I do realize that the root of this evil, as in all evils, is the love of money.

It's based on daily attendance so every day counts for funding. If there's a flu epidemic, the schools are out of luck.

This seems unconstitutional. Why isn't some Christian law group suing on her behalf? It's really not that hard to get an accurate attendance count- if a kid is in another room doing another project it's an excused school-related absence and doesn't count.

Furthermore, since when is having a constant source of radiation right next to sensitive and cancer-prone tissue ok?

DH tells me that RFID chips in dogs have a known link to cancer.

Edited by Katy

Absolutely, totally, and in every way inappropriate. A complete and utter invasion of privacy and parental authority. There is no way I would ever accept this level of monitoring unrelated to house arrest for an actual crime that has been tried and convicted.

ITA.

I'm really boggled that parents have gone along w/this.

ITA.

I'm really boggled that parents have gone along w/this.

My city, and from what I can tell not only have parents gone along with it, they are singing it's praises :confused: I know of several parents in the district but not at schools with the RFID ID's that are lobbying for their school to be next.

SOOOOOOOOO glad I homeschool.

There is NO way to turn off the RFID ID's, so they will know where the ID is 24/7. If that's not an invasion of privacy and personal freedoms I don't know what is.

My city, and from what I can tell not only have parents gone along with it, they are singing it's praises :confused: I know of several parents in the district but not at schools with the RFID ID's that are lobbying for their school to be next.

SOOOOOOOOO glad I homeschool.

There is NO way to turn off the RFID ID's, so they will know where the ID is 24/7. If that's not an invasion of privacy and personal freedoms I don't know what is.

This is what kills me.

If ppl wanted to tag pedophiles in this manner, there'd be screaming about their rights, etc.

But kids? Hey, great idea! :001_huh::glare:

Don't be too surprised. Texas isn't as rougue as people think it is. There is LOTS of group think and individual freedoms are regularly violated.

Yeah, the Texas thing doesn't surprise me at all. I'm surprised so many others are surprised.

I would be interested to hear if it has been done in Massachusetts. I hadn't heard of it here.

Ok, I get the whole slippery slope argument but I feel like I read a different article from all of you.

In the school in Texas they have an ID badge they wear on a lanyard or something around their neck. This ID badge is now fitted with an RFID chip. The school can track the ID badge. Kids are required to wear the badge WHILE AT SCHOOL. There is nothing in the article suggesting that at the Texas school kids are required to wear the badge all day and night. I do think it was wrong for the school to not have an "opt out" system or for them to try coercive tactics. But I don't have any problem with a school having a system to track where kids are while at school. Sounds like it must be a fairly large high school for this to have become an issue.

In the school in California they appear to have instituted a special program for delinquent students. Those students who are identified as delinquent get the phone calls, counseling, etc, etc.

Again, I understand the objection to round the clock monitoring - but I am not sure that the article really goes there.

This is a violation of students' and their parents' privacy rights. I hope someone sues, because this goes way beyond a school's latitude to act in loco parentis when a child is in school.

This isn't a political issue so much as an issue of fundamental constitutional law. Other schools have gotten away with it by making it non-mandatory; odds are they can get away with calling it non-mandatory as long as students can opt out and still attend class; that could be defensible based on what's been allowed by SCOTUS for drug testing of students as a requisite for participating in extracurricular activities.

One may hope, however, that the fact that the tracking works in the students' homes 24/7 will make a difference.

Edited by Ravin

Ok, I get the whole slippery slope argument but I feel like I read a different article from all of you.

In the school in Texas they have an ID badge they wear on a lanyard or something around their neck. This ID badge is now fitted with an RFID chip. The school can track the ID badge. Kids are required to wear the badge WHILE AT SCHOOL. There is nothing in the article suggesting that at the Texas school kids are required to wear the badge all day and night. I do think it was wrong for the school to not have an "opt out" system or for them to try coercive tactics. But I don't have any problem with a school having a system to track where kids are while at school. Sounds like it must be a fairly large high school for this to have become an issue.

In the school in California they appear to have instituted a special program for delinquent students. Those students who are identified as delinquent get the phone calls, counseling, etc, etc.

Again, I understand the objection to round the clock monitoring - but I am not sure that the article really goes there.

:iagree: This is what I was thinking. The chip is part of the school ID. It's not like they're shooting them directly into the students' brains. I think it's unnecessary, but not a hill I'd die on if I was one of the parents.

:iagree: This is what I was thinking. The chip is part of the school ID. It's not like they're shooting them directly into the students' brains. I think it's unnecessary, but not a hill I'd die on if I was one of the parents.

I'm getting confused too. Can't they just take it off and leave it in their locker?

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I wonder if they really think the truant kids are going to wear it when they leave school. :001_rolleyes: Seems like a massive waste of money.

I wonder if they really think the truant kids are going to wear it when they leave school. :001_rolleyes: Seems like a massive waste of money.

Truant kids are not the subject of the Texas issue...that is the California school that is using a system to call and check in with the kids before, during and after school hours.

That is not what the article actually says. The article says they get a call at 8 and have to check in with a code. But, I am not certain it has anything to do with the IDs because it is an entirely separate system *in California*. The article is not written well. I will find it again and quote it. The FAQ on the school's site says students will only be tracked at school.

I am anti-RFID tags on kids, but this is being misrepresented in this thread.

Hm, it isn't letting me copy and paste, but it is in a separate text box within the article.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

That is not what the article actually says. The article says they get a call at 8 and have to check in with a code. But, I am not certain it has anything to do with the IDs because it is an entirely separate system *in California*. The article is not written well. I will find it again and quote it. The FAQ on the school's site says students will only be tracked at school.

I am anti-RFID tags on kids, but this is being misrepresented in this thread.

Hm, it isn't letting me copy and paste, but it is in a separate text box within the article.

Here's the copy/paste from the article re: California.

In California, the Anaheim Union High School District is also in the midst of testing a GPS tracking program. From Salon:

Each school day, the delinquent students get an automated "wake-up" phone call reminding them that they need to get to school on time. In addition, five times a day they are required to enter a code that tracks their locations: as they leave for school, when they arrive at school, at lunchtime, when they leave school and at 8pm. These students are also assigned an adult "coach" who calls them at least three times a week to see how they are doing and help them find effective ways to make sure they get to school.

I definitely have issues with the GPS tracking, particularly with the 8pm check in. What business is it of the school's where the kids are at 8pm? What if they're in the middle of something like church and can't check in?

Now, I do disagree with the RFID chips because of the potential risk for health issues, but I disagree with A LOT of things because of health-related consequences. IF the RFID chips in the badges *really* don't work off-campus, I don't consider it that major of a privacy issue. I think the schools do have the right to know where the students are when they are on campus. Not that it's going to stop a kid from tossing the badge somewhere and then leaving, but they'll have to find the badge/kid first. However, I don't for a moment believe that the chips won't be track-able off-campus.

Truant kids are not the subject of the Texas issue...that is the California school that is using a system to call and check in with the kids before, during and after school hours.

I didn't read the whole article, but the second paragraph is:

The "Student Locator Project," which is slated to eventually reach 112 Texas schools and close to 100,000 students, is in trial stages in two Northside district schools. In an effort to reduce truancy, the district has issued new student IDs with an embedded radio-frequency identification (RFID) chip that tracks the location of a student at all times.

I didn't read the whole article, but the second paragraph is:

Yup, no doubt it is one of the reasons for the RFID badges. However, those badges can be removed when the kid is not in school. People's comments were conflating two other issues, however. The 8 pm check in by phone is for kids identified in California as truants and has nothing at all to do with the Texas RFID school badges.