Menu

Homer help

hsingscrapper

I haven't been the most religious about the 4 year cycle.

I would like to get back on track and have run into a snag. The boys haven't read the early elementary versions of the Iliad and the Odyssey.

I'd like a version that is in plain English but written at an upper elementary and beyond level. My 9yo decodes like a high schooler but comprehends at a 5th or 6th grade.

What's your favorite? What would you suggest?

I am also looking at adding a version of Jason and the Argonauts as well as some more, if not all, of the Greek myths to our home library. I would not be opposed to a collection.

I am also looking at adding a version of Jason and the Argonauts as well as some more, if not all, of the Greek myths to our home library. I would not be opposed to a collection.

My boys also loved this one by Colum; my library had it on audio, and we listened to it over and over and over... It covers Jason and many of the Greek myths.

I know many folk recommend D'Aulaires' Greek Myths for the younger ages, but I wouldn't use it with anyone under 9 *and expect them to comprehend and actually remember relationships, storylines and who's who*. There IS a lot there to take in, folks... When you add in Memoria's teacher/student guide for D'Aulaires' Greek Myths, I think it would be plenty to keep older elementary student occupied.