Menu

Unassisted Home birth question

I am doing research and figured someone in the Hive mind would know this. If you have a totally unassisted home birth, how do you get a birth certificate for the child? Let's just pretend that this has been a hidden pregnancy so there has been no midwife/doula/doctor involved up to this point.

The actual process may depend on which state you live in. Here, under 7 days, a doctor can file it (most OB offices are familiar as are pedatricians) there is a form you fill out with the state department of vital statistics requesting the birth certificate. Over 7 days, there is a more complicated form for Delayed Registration of Birth that requires some additional info.

If you google your state and "delayed birth certificate", you should find the instructions.

I am doing research and figured someone in the Hive mind would know this. If you have a totally unassisted home birth, how do you get a birth certificate for the child? Let's just pretend that this has been a hidden pregnancy so there has been no midwife/doula/doctor involved up to this point.

It's going to vary by state. In any case, it's likely to be much more difficult without a verification of pregnancy - being examined by someone official soon after the birth might suffice for that, since it's kinda obvious when someone has just had a kid. But months later might be a problem.

It depends on the state. I had seen a doctor during my pregnancy, so it was easy enough to get a letter confirming that I had been pregnant and was due at the time of dd's birth. If I had not seen a doctor, I could have used two (I think?) notarized letters from people who knew me at the time of my pregnancy and could vouch for me that I'd been pregnant.

It was all a fairly simple process actually. I knew what paperwork I needed (you'll need to research in your state), we took it to the appropriate government office, and turned it in. Actually, lol, it went more smoothly than getting all of the paperwork done for my hospital-birthed child. ;)

ETA: Dh and I both went to the office and had to sign various things -- but the only outside confirmation we needed was the letter from my OB (again, there was an alternative option, if we hadn't been able to produce that).

Edited by abbeyej

Thanks for all the quick responses. This is information for a work of fiction so knowing the basics help. The mom cannot be seen by a medical professional because it would be found out that she hadn't given birth to said baby (she rescued a baby she found abandoned without reporting it to anyone). Essentially it sounds like she is going to need some buddies willing to lie and cover for her and sign some affidavits claiming they knew she was pregnant and/or witnessed the birth.

In my state, you have to show up at the Health Department with the baby to get the certificate. They need to see that you actually had one.

Thanks for all the quick responses. This is information for a work of fiction so knowing the basics help. The mom cannot be seen by a medical professional because it would be found out that she hadn't given birth to said baby (she rescued a baby she found abandoned without reporting it to anyone). Essentially it sounds like she is going to need some buddies willing to lie and cover for her and sign some affidavits claiming they knew she was pregnant and/or witnessed the birth.

From an ethical POV, I have some concerns about the reason for doing this.

I am the carrier of an X-linked genetic disease. I know if I were in that position as a "adopted"/rescued/falsely claimed as kin baby... and either later in life found out it was false for many reasons. I would be livid. I worry that this decision to claim the baby for sincere reasons may (years from now) destroy the relationship between parents and child???

There is a UC forum over on Mothering.com you could get the info from:)

I worry that this decision to claim the baby for sincere reasons may (years from now) destroy the relationship between parents and child???

Did you see the "it's for a work of fiction" part? :D

Edited by milovaný

Thank you every one for the replies. I am glad to know that it might be possible.

From an ethical POV, I have some concerns about the reason for doing this.

I am the carrier of an X-linked genetic disease. I know if I were in that position as a "adopted"/rescued/falsely claimed as kin baby... and either later in life found out it was false for many reasons. I would be livid. I worry that this decision to claim the baby for sincere reasons may (years from now) destroy the relationship between parents and child???

Kid is rescued from a trash can, so life has to be better for them than the alternative would have been. Just out of curiosity, what is the genetic disease? I am going to be making said child get sick and this sounds like a prospective idea. I haven't figured out how to out the kidnapper yet. A genetic disease that mom would have to be a carrier of could definitely work.

Did you see the "it's for a work of fiction" part? :D

Thanks for pointing that back out. This is not happening IRL.

Ah, I stand corrected.

BUT... I still would be concerned for the main character IF they found out they were living in a "lie". Perhaps the OP just found a better plot? :D

Nah. She just had to go to piano lessons and grocery shopping. ;)

Thank you every one for the replies. I am glad to know that it might be possible.

Kid is rescued from a trash can, so life has to be better for them than the alternative would have been. Just out of curiosity, what is the genetic disease? I am going to be making said child get sick and this sounds like a prospective idea. I haven't figured out how to out the kidnapper yet. A genetic disease that mom would have to be a carrier of could definitely work.

Thanks for pointing that back out. This is not happening IRL.

Nah. She just had to go to piano lessons and grocery shopping. ;)

Huntington's Disease is something thats passed from parent to child, its usually adult onset but I think it can be passed from either parent, not sure. Its an ugly disease to have:(