Menu

solved the IUD "wwyd" problem

First, after speaking to the regular Ob's office I'd have to go in twice, once for a well woman exam and once for the insertion. At $25 per visit for my copay that's $50. I was able to find the IUD via a canadian pharmacy for $70, including shipping. I'm willing to pay the extra $20 to have the convenience of having my midwife do it at my 6 week post partum check up. Plus, I asked the office girl at the midwife's office again about insurance coverage and she explained it better. She said if I bring in a reciept they (the midwife's office) will reimburse me and then bill my insurance. Which is an odd way to do things, but at least makes sense and I understand it. And if it doesn't work out, oh well, I only spent $20 more. If it DOES work out I saved $50 in copays. (no copay for the midwife because that visit is included in my birth/prenatal/postnatal fee that I already paid).

I was on the fence about doing the IUD but after the total lack of sleep I've had lately it seems like a better and better idea :) And if I have bad side effects I can always have it taken out.

I'm glad you found a solution.

It could have to do with the hassle of ordering. Some pharmaceutical and equipment groups make it difficult on practitioners that are not ordering in large quantities. Some insurance groups make it difficult for some practitioners. Since she's a midwife, the later might be very true. It's a crazy, nutsy, kukoo, mess out there with an unconscienable amount of details to keep straight in order to get paid. Your midwife may just be saving herself some angst doing it this way.

Faith

I'm glad you found a solution.

It could have to do with the hassle of ordering. Some pharmaceutical and equipment groups make it difficult on practitioners that are not ordering in large quantities. Some insurance groups make it difficult for some practitioners. Since she's a midwife, the later might be very true. It's a crazy, nutsy, kukoo, mess out there with an unconscienable amount of details to keep straight in order to get paid. Your midwife may just be saving herself some angst doing it this way.

Faith

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I know that when I worked in veterinary medicine it could be a huge hassel to try to get a small quantity of any given drug or item. To the point that you often could only do it if you could get a sales rep to take pity on you and give you a sample. And she probably doesn't qualify for delayed billing and such like a big operation would, so she'd have to shell out the money up front then wait to be reimbursed. Ordered from the company the cost is $750 here in the USA, as the generic isn't available here yet. That gets pricy for a small business. Large offices could order, do delayed billing, and pay after the insurance reimbursed them .