Menu

To those who recommended The Drawing Textbook

Amy Jo

Thanks! I love it, just what I needed. A few tips and a lot of simple practice exercises. (Oh, and I ordered from Adoremus books via Amazon - they shipped the book 1st class so I had it a week after ordering!)

Now I can continue my goal of being able to draw as well as Robert McCloskey. :auto:

I love Drawing Textbook. I've been using it since the 90's. If you feel like you need a bit more handholding, You Can Draw in 30 Days will give some more explicit instructions. I prefer Drawing Textbook's scope and sequence to 30 Days'. There were videos for DT, but they were very expensive and never converted to DVD.

Most people do just fine with DT alone, but I am OCD and just obsess over the tiniest details. 30 Days has been a blessed supplement. Before 30 Days was published, I resorted to watching videos on Mark Kistler online and reading his kid's books and it was torture. I don't know why, but Mark Kistler's "fun" isn't fun for me or my students. If I suggest supplementing with an online video, my students wince and say, "please be quick!".

DT is great for adding 5 minute drawing drills into crowded days, that otherwise would not include art.

• 7 months later...

I just bought this booklet and think it looks like a real gem. It would be super easy to add this to any curriculum for drawing skills. Cheap too!

ETA: For those interested, it is written by a man who was an artist for Walt Disney studios "in the old days."

A lot of the Kistler kids books are goofy, but I recently acquired Draw Squad and see that is an even better supplement to Drawing Textbook than the Kistler adult book Draw in 30 Days.

I've dropped DT for now to make more time for Draw Write Now, but...not without hesitancy. I just can't fit it all in. Although I'm not TEACHING Drawing Textbook, it's on the shelf in the art area for any friend or student to use. If I still had kids of my own, I think I'd use it for the older kids AFTER Draw Write Now, despite the fact that first graders CAN do the book.

Kistler's 30 days and Draw Squad have a LOT of overlap with DT. DT is better at scheduling, but Kistler is better at explaining.

I don't have time to do both DT and Draw Write Now, and I realized I needed to CHOOSE one or the other, or nothing was going to get DONE. Draw Write Now is 2D drawing, and I've realized 2D drawing isn't inferior to 3D drawing, even if it looks more naive and less skilled. Draw Write Now overlaps with so much of my core curriculum. Volume 1 has a lot of early literature. The middle volumes are a lot of early American history. The later volumes are a lot of geography.

I just decided to fully embrace Draw Write Now instead of trying to spread myself too thin. I decided to fully put off 3D drawing as priority subject. DT is the most efficient 3D drawing course to schedule and squeeze in, but I decided it was okay not to teach 3D drawing to my grammar stage and early logic stage students.