Menu

(X-post) If you live in TN, GA, or SC, how are the homeschooling laws?

I'm in Georgia. We have to submit a Declaration of Intent to homeschool at the beginning of the year, turn in an attendance report once we hit 180 days, test every 3 years (but don't have to turn in results), and write an annual progress report (also not turned in to anyone). I can't complain.

I'm in Georgia. We have to submit a Declaration of Intent to homeschool at the beginning of the year, turn in an attendance report once we hit 180 days, test every 3 years (but don't have to turn in results), and write an annual progress report (also not turned in to anyone). I can't complain.

GA laws look easy to me. SC & TN have more options, but are vague to me.

SC here. I join the homeschool assoc. annually and they do the reporting. I reported PASS for K-2 b/c I think grades in the early years are silly. I grade only to know if they retained the info. This past year we CAT tested and I turned in her scores. We will test annually just to have the record if we ever enroll in school.

We're in SC. Before each school year, I send a check and a form with the DC's names to our "accountability group." At the end of the year, I send a form telling how many days we schholed and checking the box that I satisfied what I planned to do. No testing, no grades, no portfolio reviews. The law says I need to cover math, LA, social studies, and science, but doesn't say exactly what to cover.

I keep waiting for someone out there to care what homeschoolers in SC actually do, although given the state of our PS, the board of education has bigger issues to deal with.

I'm in TN and use an umbrella school. Everything is done online (grades, attendant, reg) and it is super easy:).

Same here. Easy, inexpensive, and hands off. My umbrella has never had an issue with any of our choices.

We're in SC. Before each school year, I send a check and a form with the DC's names to our "accountability group." At the end of the year, I send a form telling how many days we schholed and checking the box that I satisfied what I planned to do. No testing, no grades, no portfolio reviews. The law says I need to cover math, LA, social studies, and science, but doesn't say exactly what to cover.

I keep waiting for someone out there to care what homeschoolers in SC actually do, although given the state of our PS, the board of education has bigger issues to deal with.

Yep, VERY easy in SC.

i used to live in SC. it was SOOOO easy to homeschool there. i was a 3rd option homeschooler, which is the least invasive. there is a website called carolina homeschooler. the forums aren't active really, but the information is invaluable. dianna that runs it is a veteran homeschooler and she has a plethora of information & i know she would help you. she was very kind to me when i first moved there from CA. hth.

ETA-the website has changed since i was there last. they have a yahoo group now, so maybe that is more active :)

Edited by mytwomonkeys