Menu

CLE or MUS

cam112198

We've used both, but the other way around - MUS and we JUST moved to CLE.

We struggled with MUS, too long on single topics, not enough spiral, waiting too long for mastery before moving on. We're a couple of grades behind right now actually and trying to catch up!

We've used both, but the other way around - MUS and we JUST moved to CLE.

We struggled with MUS, too long on single topics, not enough spiral, waiting too long for mastery before moving on. We're a couple of grades behind right now actually and trying to catch up!

:iagree:

We changed from MUS to CLE this year and it is a much better fit!

I do think my boys have a great understanding of place value from MUS

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Is there anyone that likes MUS better than CLE?

You know, it really depends on the child we've found. We have used both, actually just finished MUS from Primer thru Pre-A with ds11. He did fine with it and seemed to thrive on its mastery approach. However for our daughters it was just the opposite. They do much better with CLE and it spiral approach. They were forgetting too much with MUS. I think they needed more variety and coming back to concepts over time which CLE does very well. CLE also introduces more advanced concepts earlier on and gradually brings them in. In that sense we like it better, for them.

One problem with MUS is that its scope and sequence is so different from other programs that its hard to synch up when switching. We went back a bit after switching to CLE just to catch areas not yet covered in MUS. For ds11 Pre-A was a good place to jump off to another curriculum, in this case TabletClass Pre-A. He is doing fine in the class and MUS was all he had ever used, along with supplimentals.

BTW, we are using CLE 100 for our 1st grader and its going really well. We did however start her last year in MUS Primer before switching to CLE. That might be a good supplimental to CLE 100. You could slow down CLE 100 and combine with MUS Primer.

Edited by dereksurfs

You know, it really depends on the child we've found. We have used both, actually just finished MUS from Primer thru Pre-A with ds11. He did fine with it and seemed to thrive on its mastery approach. However for our daughters it was just he opposite. They do much better with CLE and it spiral approach. They were forgetting too much with MUS. I think they needed more variety and coming back to concepts over time which CLE does very well. CLE also introduces more advanced concepts earlier on and gradually brings them in. In that sense we like it better, for them.

One problem with MUS is that its scope and sequence is so different from other programs that its hard to synch up when switching. We went back a bit after switching to CLE just to catch areas not yet covered in MUS. For ds11 Pre-A was a good place to jump off to another curriculum, in this case TabletClass Pre-A. He is doing fine in the class and MUS was all he had ever used, along with supplimentals.

BTW, we are using CLE 100 for our 1st grader and its going really well. We did however start her last year in MUS Primer before switching to CLE. That might be a good supplimental to CLE 100. You could slow down CLE 100 and combine with MUS Primer.

Thank you so much! You are right about everything. I'm really not feeling good about dropping CLE to make a complete switch to MUS. I guess I could just keep the manipulatives and try to use them more with CLE?

I absolutely loved CLE, but my son started to struggle with it at the fourth grade level, while being in the 5th grade. We ended up switching and have now settled with MUS. Will we stay here...I don't know, but it is the first time my son has no tears in years:lol:, and he also has an eagerness to do his math every morning. That right now is priceless.

Both are great programs. It just depends on your child's and your preference.