Menu

Is Nancy Larson Science 1 worth the $, pros? Cons?

Emagine

This is a very (as in completely) scripted program-- every word you are to speak spelled out for you in the TM-- designed for families who have had zero science background. The reading level of the materials is very low for the target age groups.

The toys are fun, though they can all be purchased elsewhere easily for much less money.

If you love open and go, all comes in one box, and lots of handholding, and your kids have not had much in the way of science, this program is very highly organized and logical, and it might be very right for you. Many other science programs will add up in cost once you buy lab supplies, books, and so forth.

If you dislike scripted, rigid programs, want more interesting reading materials, and can find box day somewhere else, or your kids have already had exposure to science, you will probably be happier with something else. There are many other open-and-go comes in a box type programs available (check out NOEO) whose materials are more varied and interesting. One big difference between NOEO and NL besides the scripting, though, is that NOEO will be all one topic for the year, whereas NL may have an emphasis for the year but touch on several different disciplines across the year-- that is important to some families.

NL tends to be a program people worship or dislike-- I'm in the dislike camp, because our family is not the target audience; my family has a science background, we found the reading materials to be too low-level even though my son has a reading disability, and I found I intensely disliked the scripted nature of the program (it even has a suggested script for the kids' answers) and I found it did not stimulate a lot of creative thinking despite the cool toys included-- we ended up ditching the materials and using the toys (level 1, which is mostly bio) on our own while doing NOEO chemistry. I would agree it is very organized and logical, with sound information and vocabulary; it was just not for us.

My kids have had a little Science. My oldest was in an Autism Class and they did none. My youngest is the type to sit and watch through the worm hole, Universe etc...

They both need a balance of hands on, some mom (they get highly impatient) and for retention some witten but not a lot. They write, but not that well.

I do not want something to over the top, nor too easy. I did REAL Earth and Space, which they sorta enjoyed. Apologia, too mom directed and it flopped.

We will break soon and begin our new year in Jan. I am gathering ideas and Science I am stumped on.

I admit, I am somewhat creative in some areas but I need something to go by. I can not make up lessons myself for some reason lol.

Thanks

I blogged about our thoughts here.

We are not super sciency at our house and I'm not that great at getting projects done-too messy or involved. I'm on the fence about NL. My kids retained everything from every lesson but at times I thought it could be more challenging. I also thought the books were below their level. The kit components are more hands-on things and not true experiments. That worked well since my kids are young. If my kids were older I'd want more of an experiment-led science (since they would be able to do more on their own). So for us, it got done, my kids enjoyed it, and they really did learn a lot. The price tag is really hard to swallow. But goodness, is it ever convenient for this pregnant mama!

So, if you use it be sure to place your kids in the correct level. I would not hesitate to bump them up a little.

It's also not great for jumping off points or critical thinking. It's more fill-in-the-blank and short answer type thinking. So, we used it for part of the year and then we're going to try Elemental Science. It looks a little more in-depth.

If you want to email me or pm me I could give you more thoughts. Like I said, I'm really on the fence about it. Science got done so I could check off my science box for the day but I'm not sure it inspired any deep thinking or exploration. I just can't decide how I feel about NL. :001_huh:

I'm still looking for a science curricula that gives me warm fuzzies that we love. Haven't found it yet........

This is a very (as in completely) scripted program-- every word you are to speak spelled out for you in the TM-- designed for families who have had zero science background. The reading level of the materials is very low for the target age groups.

The toys are fun, though they can all be purchased elsewhere easily for much less money.

If you love open and go, all comes in one box, and lots of handholding, and your kids have not had much in the way of science, this program is very highly organized and logical, and it might be very right for you. Many other science programs will add up in cost once you buy lab supplies, books, and so forth.

If you dislike scripted, rigid programs, want more interesting reading materials, and can find box day somewhere else, or your kids have already had exposure to science, you will probably be happier with something else. There are many other open-and-go comes in a box type programs available (check out NOEO) whose materials are more varied and interesting. One big difference between NOEO and NL besides the scripting, though, is that NOEO will be all one topic for the year, whereas NL may have an emphasis for the year but touch on several different disciplines across the year-- that is important to some families.

NL tends to be a program people worship or dislike-- I'm in the dislike camp, because our family is not the target audience; my family has a science background, we found the reading materials to be too low-level even though my son has a reading disability, and I found I intensely disliked the scripted nature of the program (it even has a suggested script for the kids' answers) and I found it did not stimulate a lot of creative thinking despite the cool toys included-- we ended up ditching the materials and using the toys (level 1, which is mostly bio) on our own while doing NOEO chemistry. I would agree it is very organized and logical, with sound information and vocabulary; it was just not for us.

:iagree::iagree:

I bought NL when it first came out and I sold it before we finished the first unit. It just wasn't for us. However, if you are looking for something completely open and go and totally scripted, this could work for you.

It depends on what age your kids are. If they are four or five, then it might be worth it. I was told by NLS themselves that my 8 year old could use it no problem (we hadn't done too much science before that). UGH....I absolutely hated it. I think it's best for age 5 or under.

ETA: actually, now that read what I said again, I think even if they are age 4 or 5 I'm not sure it's actually "worth it". I think there's better out there for much less money.

It is interesting to me that this thread is mostly negative opinions whereas I've read several others that are very positive. I am planning to do it one year ahead with mine (for example, do K in preschool, 1 in K, 2 in 1st, 3 in 2nd, 4 in 3rd). I am not aware of plans to make levels higher than 4 but I could be wrong. I'm planning to put mine in Apologia from 4th-7th doing 2 books per year mostly independently when I think they can better handle such an intense program. But for the younger years where I'm more concerned with them retaining the vocabulary and having fun hands-on things I think we will really like it. My kids go to CC so they get those experiments during the year. We will do NL and Apologia during the summers. We did Anatomy last year and although we learned a lot (impressed the hospital staff with his knowledge of bone marrow and blood cells when he was diagnosed with leukemia) it was more appropriate in my opinion for kids who were academically ready for 4th grade at least and mine were not last summer. I'm definitely a "it has to come in a box" person when it comes to science and art so I think NL will be a good fit for us and is only supposed to take 1/2 an hour......

I've been using this with my 4.5- and 5.5-year-olds for about a month now, and I think it's perfect as a first science course - for the students and the teacher. It's fun, they look forward to science and they seem to be retaining everything. I have a decent background in chemistry and physics, but I've never taken a biology course, and I've never taught or tutored anyone under the age of about 16. For me, the scripting is a plus, because I sometimes have trouble breaking things down enough for my kids, and I don't have the science vocabulary that I hope they eventually will.

I will say, I don't know if it would be worth the cost for an older child or a teacher who is more comfortable with elementary science. The lessons are very, very short and my kids often want to do more than one, so we'll finish in January or February.