Menu

Social Security & homeschooling

Anyone here on SS and homeschooling? Dh just applied for SS, which will include myself and dd (13/8th grade). Will I have a problem because dd is not in ps? Will using an umbrella school suffice, or do they even check?

? What ss program? I am not sure what you are asking. My DH gets social security *disability*. It is not near enough to support a family.

Anyone here on SS and homeschooling? Dh just applied for SS, which will include myself and dd (13/8th grade). Will I have a problem because dd is not in ps? Will using an umbrella school suffice, or do they even check?

SS doesnt care if you HS or not and the state doesnt care if youre on SS.

Check HSLDA for your HS laws and follow them. No issues.

There have been homeschoolers who had problems, regardless of whether they were obeying the law or not. HSLDA has successfully intervened on behalf of several of its member families.

My girls receive SSI and I have to fill out the form every year. It has never asked about school or anything of the sort.

:iagree: I homeschooled for a year while my kids were getting SS.

It might be an issue as your dd gets older, though- depending on when she turns 18. I had to have dd's school fill out a form so she could keep getting SS until she graduated high school, as she had turned 18 in the fall.

? What ss program? I am not sure what you are asking. My DH gets social security *disability*. It is not near enough to support a family.

Social Security retirement. Dh will continue to work, so the Social Security is just in addition to his salary.

There have been homeschoolers who had problems, regardless of whether they were obeying the law or not. HSLDA has successfully intervened on behalf of several of its member families.

Thanks, I'll check with HSLDA.

We've been homeschooling for 6 years without any problems from the state. It's how the federal government interprets the "still in school" wording that could be an issue.

I was speaking on a general basis.

We've been homeschooling for 6 years without any problems from the state. It's how the federal government interprets the "still in school" wording that could be an issue.

For that, id print my HS laws and show them im HSing. You could also save your "approval" letter from the school district you notify (not sure if you do in TN)