Menu

When combining SL cores....

heidip2p

When you are using a Sonlgiht core for more than one child at a time how do you work out the readers? Do you have both kids read at the same level? I just purchased a core used and it came with the level 2 reader schedule. I am not sure what to do with my 4th grader.

What Core is it? For Cores A-C (used to be K-2) you can choose the readers that best fit your child, up to grade 4/5. Also, if it is an older Core it might be labeled Level 2 Regular, Level 2 Intermediate, or Level 2 Advanced. Those are now Grade 2, Grade 3, and Grade 4-5. So, if you have a 2nd grader they can do the level 2 readers and you could look for the 4-5 readers for the 4th grader.

If it is Core D (3) it works a little different. I have my 3rd and 5th graders combined and they have always done their own level readers. Now in Core D my 5th grader is just doing the advanced schedule, which are the same books my 3rd grader is reading, plus 9 more, so everything is on a quicker schedule.

Hope that helps!

For Cores D and up, where the readers tie in with the history, I had both kids read the same readers and just alternated (one child started with book 1, the other with book 2, then we switched. I didn't worry about things not lining up exactly--with a literature-based program they won't anyway, reading is always either a preview or a review.)

For the younger cores, I had each child read readers at his or her level. I never worried about scheduling them, I just put together a book basket. If they read the SL books quickly, I also put some other selections in the basket for them to choose from.

Enjoy! Merry :-)