Menu

Unique things you do to save money

I had no idea that there were times that could be charged more per hour. Is that something my utility company would be required to tell me if I asked?

Not all areas do that. They did it where we lived in GA. They don't do it where we live now.

- I am part of a babysitter swap group. Whenever my husband and I want a date night, I get a free babysitter. I just have to return the favor :001_smile: This would be really easy for you to arrange with a neighbor or good friend, you don't have to be part of an official group. HTH

I loved my babysitting co-op when the kids were little. We met once a month for the moms to visit/kids to play too, which helped people get to know each other better & feel more comfortable swapping off babysitting.

We do not use paper towels. I bought a ton of cheap wash cloths and we wash them.

I also quit using dryer sheets. My clothes still smell nice, they aren't too static-y (that is totally not spelled right!). I use only 1/2 the amount of laundry soap for everyone's clothes except DH's whose are usually very dirty.

We rarely buy anything new as far as clothes go. (OK, socks and unders are always new!) I like thrift shops.

Those are the 3 things off the top of my head.

Nothing unique, but we developed an attitude as poor student newlyweds that we have never lost and that makes life much easier. If you can live without it (literally), don't buy it---wait 6 months and if you can't find it free or almost free and you still desperately think you need it then buy it on sale.

The line between luxury and necessity has become blurred. I'm not saying that you have that problem, just on my soapbox. I'm always shocked when I walk into people's homes to drop off food from our church's food pantry to find cell phones on the table and big TVs playing shows that are obviously on cable. Usually there is a laptop too.

I think the only thing I can add that's different is that I buy the very cheapest unchipped compatible ink cartridges for our printer and transfer the chips from old cartridges. It saves me £40 off an HP set and £10 off a set pre chipped compatibles and only takes a couple of minutes to transfer the chips. It works for alot of printers. Our recent set of ink cost £7 as opposted to about £47 and I got an extra Black cartridge too.

Edited by lailasmum

Going to add that I actually don't buy very much at the grocery stores. I buy direct from farmers and participate in a co op.

Barter.

Lots of folks are open to exchange resources than money.

I have bees, raise chickens, and can butcher chickens. I've exchanged these items and my skill for maple syrup, fish (salmon, blue gills, halibut), and riding lessons.

A homeschool friend of my sis was a professional photographer. She did my nieces senior picture in exchange for a half dozen knitted gloveless mittens from my sister in time for Christmas.

One you establish a barter relationship with someone they usually want to continue so it's something you can continue yearly.

I think the only thing I can add that's different is that I buy the very cheapest unchipped compatible ink cartridges for our printer and transfer the chips from old cartridges. It saves me £40 off an HP set and £10 off a set pre chipped compatibles and only takes a couple of minutes to transfer the chips. It works for alot of printers. Our recent set of ink cost £7 as opposted to about £47 and I got an extra Black cartridge too.

How did you transfer the chips?

:iagree:

I agree, although I am not always good at it.

BUT, I am good at spending time researching for the deals. If it is something I really, really want (even if it is not a need) I research for the absolute best deal I can find it for.

Dawn

Nothing unique, but we developed an attitude as poor student newlyweds that we have never lost and that makes life much easier. If you can live without it (literally), don't buy it---wait 6 months and if you can't find it free or almost free and you still desperately think you need it then buy it on sale.

The line between luxury and necessity has become blurred. I'm not saying that you have that problem, just on my soapbox. I'm always shocked when I walk into people's homes to drop off food from our church's food pantry to find cell phones on the table and big TVs playing shows that are obviously on cable. Usually there is a laptop too.

How did you transfer the chips?

Slide the edge of a thin blade under the chip. They are sticky on the back, you have to be careful. The chip will just come off. Then put it on the new cartridge in the same position. If it doesn't stick just put a bit of double sided tape on. There are bound to be tutorials on you tube. My printer doesn't always read the volume in the ink cartridge correctly on compatibles but they always work.

It might be slightly different depending upon the cartridge.

Edited by lailasmum

Slide the edge of a thin blade under the chip. They are sticky on the back, you have to be careful. The chip will just come off. Then put it on the new cartridge in the same position. If it doesn't stick just put a bit of double sided tape on. There are bound to be tutorials on you tube. My printer doesn't always read the volume in the ink cartridge correctly on compatibles but they always work.

It might be slightly different depending upon the cartridge.

Thanks! :) Those HP cartridges are expensive!