Menu

Math - Algebra 2

My son goes to a private christian school that uses the Abeka Videos. He is really struggling with Algebra 2. The teacher is rushing through the lesson too quickly and not making sure the students get it -- and my son is not! I would like to do some type of Algebra 2 course with him at home. I can't remember all of the algebra concepts -- I have been out of school too long. The abeka text has no examples of worked problems and no explanations of how to work problems. I am looking for suggestions of what math program I could get to do with him after school that would be self-explanatory and he could do without a lot of imput from me.

Sorry I rambled and thanks in advance for any suggestion you can give me.

Why don't you try Khan Academy? It is free and the math is automatically graded - and you can see how he is doing (you sign up as the teacher). My kids use it whenever they hit a wall in a subject and they always understand Khan. We have also used this site for Science.

I have very little respect for ABeka's high school math programs...I had to teach from the series at a private school...it was not only a nightmare for students-- but a nightmare for me (an experienced teacher too!). They are inexpensive for a reason!

I suggest getting a copy of a Lial Intermediate Algebra text-- it will have detailed examples with full teaching in the student text (any answers for additional problems you may need in back).

Khan academy videos can help too-- but a support text is my strongest suggestion-- then use videos to support that.

Word problems are extremely weak with ABeka-- I really really like the way Lial teaches those.

The Lial text also reviews Algebra 1 before expanding into Algebra 2 concepts.

Oder editions are fine (I use the 8th with my classes)-- if you want the Lial videos go with the 9th edition (they work on most current computers). I prefer the Lial paperback series-- nicer font size and practice problems in margins...

HTH

Jann

Lots of solid ideas already!

Teaching Textbooks uses videos and a workbook format. You might find that helpful. It is a bit expensive.

For specific type of problems, the Khan Academy is pretty good.

For a girlie perspective on algebra, try Danica McKellar's book, Hot X: Algebra Exposed. Your son may not like it, but if you're trying to brush up, you may find it helpful.

We have also found that if you type the specific question into Google, there's usually already an answer for it, usually including an explanation.

Why don't you try Khan Academy? It is free and the math is automatically graded - and you can see how he is doing (you sign up as the teacher). My kids use it whenever they hit a wall in a subject and they always understand Khan. We have also used this site for Science.

We've used Khan Academy also and really liked it. DD1 just was not grasping the concept of variables and so I had her go through a series with Khan Academy and that helped.