Menu

s/o Free Range Learning anyone read this?

I have. I read it for a homeschool book club here. It was good. I would especially recommend it to someone thinking about homeschooling because it's the only book I've seen and liked that really captures the sort of not really unschooling, somewhat structured, sort of loose ebb and flow eclectic homeschooling. It's also really packed full of ideas on how to do that sort of schooling and lists lots of specific resources and so forth.

If someone (like you, Halycon, probably) is already in the know on that sort of resources, then you may find a few new ideas, but it may also feel like stuff you already know. And if anyone is a really strong classical education adherent, they might not like it because she does say a few things that are clearly against the sort of rigorous, structured approach in WTM and other classical philosophies. Still, there are lots of personal anecdotes and so forth throughout the book and while I didn't come away from it changed, it did remind me why I do some of the things I do. And I enjoyed the book club discussion of it.

I'm really jealous you have a homeschool book club and that you discuss books related to homeschooling!

It meets really, really infrequently though!

I just saw Halycon's other thread... I think it might be what you want, but I don't know if "inspirational" is the first thing I would think of when I think of this book.

I'm really jealous you have a homeschool book club and that you discuss books related to homeschooling!

Me too! Thanks farrarw. I did wonder how much "new and interestig stuff" it would bring to the table, but i do like the idea of a book that isnt wholly unschooling nor wholly classical.