Menu

WWYD...Song School Latin or Minimus?

I want to start Latin instruction for my ds7 (second grade) this coming school year. I want it to be a fun/easy introduction. I plan on using Latin for Children the following year. I already own Minimus but am not opposed to buying Song School since I know I could sell Minimus.

Oh, and he is an audible/visual learner. And anything that teaches with movement is good too. I will be learning right along with him but DH knows it so he will be around for questions and encouragement.

Thanks!

I want to start Latin instruction for my ds7 (second grade) this coming school year. I want it to be a fun/easy introduction. I plan on using Latin for Children the following year. I already own Minimus but am not opposed to buying Song School since I know I could sell Minimus.

Oh, and he is an audible/visual learner. And anything that teaches with movement is good too. I will be learning right along with him but DH knows it so he will be around for questions and encouragement.

Thanks!

You can certainly do both. Song School Latin is more of an exploratory type of program that builds awareness of language and of Latin. Minimus is more advanced than Song School Latin.

You could start with Song School to build an awareness of Latin and then begin a more formal instruction with Minimus. Latin for Children is also good -- there's definitely more of an emphasis on deductive grammar in LfC whereas Minimus teaches it more contextually.

You can certainly do both. Song School Latin is more of an exploratory type of program that builds awareness of language and of Latin. Minimus is more advanced than Song School Latin.

You could start with Song School to build an awareness of Latin and then begin a more formal instruction with Minimus. Latin for Children is also good -- there's definitely more of an emphasis on deductive grammar in LfC whereas Minimus teaches it more contextually.

I hadn't thought of doing both. I may have to look into this. Thanks for your reply!:001_smile:

Any other opinions and insights?

I might do both with SSL first and then Minimus. SSL is much easier on student and teacher. You'd get through it fairly quickly, I think.

We've done Prima Latina and half of SSL before selling it (due to errors in the pronunciation) and are doing Minimus now. I'm glad we did it in that order as Minimus makes more sense to both of us now and I'm not sure it would if we'd done it first.

I think Latin Teach gave you a great idea.

I am doing Song School Latin with my kindergardner and she loves it.Even my 2yr old does too! They clap or we add hand movements to the songs.

There are some hands on activities in the Song School Latin book like Simon says , and some activities were you cut out characters , and sing a song and they pick up the right picture.

It is definitley an exploratory program , which I like and I would think if you were going to use LFC that you could start off with that . Of course you can supplement with Minimus. With Minimus you definitley have to have some Latin background yourself to teach it. So many SSL would help if you don't.