Menu

amazon streaming vs Netflix

We have Amazon Prime and used to have Netflix. AP is harder to navigate and find the things you want. It's also incredibly easy for kids to accidentally purchase episodes or movies when they think it's on Prime. :glare: Amazon is very easy to deal with, however, and always credits back the amount charged.

The reason we got rid of Netflix is because we paid for a year of AP and it seemed wasteful to have two streaming services that provide similar content. I would choose Netflix for ease of use, but Amazon wins for free shipping/book lending/streaming.

We've had netflix for awhile. We did a free trial of amazon prime to see how it compared for us. For us netflix provides more or what we want.

If you have netflix, why don't you do the free one month trial of amazon prime and compare for your family. Just don't forget to cancel if you don't like it.

We have both. We'd have the Amazon Prime membership even without the streaming. I'd like to cancel Netflix, but so far I have found things on Netflix that aren't on Amazon. I also find I still rely heavily on the public library for dvds (not that that was part of your question). There isn't one perfect place for all our tv/movie/documentary needs right now.

We have both. We'd have the Amazon Prime membership even without the streaming. I'd like to cancel Netflix, but so far I have found things on Netflix that aren't on Amazon. I also find I still rely heavily on the public library for dvds (not that that was part of your question). There isn't one perfect place for all our tv/movie/documentary needs right now.

This. We have Prime for the shipping, and book lending and streaming are just bonuses. Dp won't drop Netflux until amazon has a better selection.

:iagree: I am in the same spot.

We have both. I wanted AP for the shipping and discount offered with the AP membership. What I've learned about having 2 streaming services is that they are SIMILAR things available for viewing, but IF you can't find a certain show/movie on one you could POSSIBLY find it on the other. Which is our case most of the time. It's great!!

My dh has asked about my feelings on renewing AP and for me personally it's worth the cost because I purchase from Amazon and enjoy the perks PLUS we do watch the streaming. The streaming we use far LESS than Netflix, but we still use it on occasion.

:iagree:

We have Amazon Prime and used to have Netflix. AP is harder to navigate and find the things you want. It's also incredibly easy for kids to accidentally purchase episodes or movies when they think it's on Prime. :glare: Amazon is very easy to deal with, however, and always credits back the amount charged.

You can lock it, through Amazon's website, and require a code. I'm the only person in our house who knows our code, so dh can't accidentally or otherwise purchase stuff either!

thanks for all of your opinions. I appreciate it. Right now I have Prime (with their amazon mom promo) but that doesn't include streaming. So I was trying to decide if I was going to renew it or not...although I love prime shipping perks, I am still on the fence...but the streaming were WONDERFUL that would really push me over the fence...we already have Netflix and I LOVE that. Thanks so much.

I find the picture and sound quality to be much better through Netflix. I also find it difficult to find what I want to see on Amazon. With Netflix I can easily browse through a topic or genre. With Amazon, I have to sort of stumble around and maybe I will find something that is Prime eligible or not.

Amazon's job is to sell you stuff. Netflix's job is to give you access to movies you have already paid for. They have different goals. Each one is good at what it does.

We have Amazon Prime and both of our children have a Kindle Fire. When we travel, our children love to put on head phones and watch movies when we are in the hotel rooms especially if my husband wants to watch something else.

We generally know what we want to watch, so we just search for the movie on AP to see if it is free. If it is, we watch it. If it isn't, we go on to the next movie on our list.

Yesterday, my son watched "Iron Man 2" on his Fire (well, he fast forwarded to the action scenes while we waited at the dentist - using their free wi-fi).

We like the Amazon streaming better because when you break it down to what it costs, you could rent a couple movies a month through them and still come out to the same price as Netflix, plus you are getting all the other bonuses of free shipping, Kindle book loans, etc. DH still wants to keep the 1 out at a time plan with Netflix (we have the absolute lowest... it limits to 2 movies a month) because we wants Bluray for some movies. Then the library and Red Box are other options that are available.

I have Netflix for streaming most shows that my family enjoys. I also have Amazon Prime because of the prime shipping feature which we love, but the tv/movie streaming that Amazon has is an added bonus for us. Amazon Prime has most shows already on Netflix, but it also offers a few shows that I really enjoy that Netflix doesnt have like Thirtysomething, West Wing and Studio 60.

For current shows we also have Hulu Plus for $ 7.99 a month and that allows me to watch my weekly tv shows the next day. We use the library for all our new dvd rentals for free.