Menu

quick! love or hate MOH??

hsingscrapper

MOH opinion  

1. 1. MOH opinion

• Loved it.
    • Tried it. Not a good fit but may work for others.
    • Hated it. Run as far away as possible.
    • Looked into it but didn't try it.

Ugh! I hit the wrong button....we loved it but I clicked Tried it.

I will specify though that I only love it for the upper grades. I would not use it for the younger grades. My ds used vol. 1 last year and he said it was the first history he has used that has not put him to sleep. He is constantly telling us about what he has researched. This year we are using vol. 2 and it is still the same love.

I looked at it when my son was first grade and I was wanting a YEC-friendly ancient history. It was just way above a first grade level, so I did SOTW instead, and figured we could always do MOH later. I think it's geared more toward upper elementary/middle school, which your kids are. It would probably be a good time to do it.

A friend of mine used it and liked it. I think her DD was in middle school at the time. The sample looked good to me. I'm sure I could use it now with DS1, but we're doing US History this year and next.

We started it in 1st grade and our still doing it for 3rd (my oldest) and 1st. We love it!! Love, love, love!!!!

She is a great story teller, but has also really researched her stuff. I feel like it's interesting and academic at the same time.

She gives recommendations for additional readers and crafts. Although, I'm a little bummed that in the later volumes the reader is a separate purchase from the activities book, they are combined in the first two.

While it is most definitely a Christian viewpoint, I don't feel like she is condescending or negative about people groups who are not Christian.

We are loving it...but I love to do my own thing. This is our spine or jumping off point. We listen to SOTW, do projects, find literature from other curriculum book lists and lapbook/notebook. Some weeks when we are busy, we just keep it simple with the lessons. They are short and sweet.

Edited by warneral

We love MOH. We use it as scheduled in Biblioplan. I have not used the activities, but may with the next set of kids. I find the information interesting and presented well. As much as my kids love history, this would not have been a good choice for the younger years. I so wish I had been taught history in this format.

I looked at it when my son was first grade and I was wanting a YEC-friendly ancient history. It was just way above a first grade level, so I did SOTW instead, and figured we could always do MOH later. I think it's geared more toward upper elementary/middle school, which your kids are. It would probably be a good time to do it.

A friend of mine used it and liked it. I think her DD was in middle school at the time. The sample looked good to me. I'm sure I could use it now with DS1, but we're doing US History this year and next.

:iagree:

Used it for older dd in 6th grade, moved on to other things only because not all the volumes were out at the time.

Using it currently, along with SOTW with younger dd who is in 6th this year. I think MOH is great. I think it is best used for 5th and up.

We used 1 & 2 with Sonlight B and C, when my kids were in 1st-4th grades and liked it then. I agree though that it's a much better fit for older kids. I restarted when my kids were 6th & 8th grades. My oldest actually remembered a lot of MOH 1 from the first time through (plus there's a lot of Bible in MOH 1), so he didn't like that as much the 2nd time through, but it was perfect for my then 6th grader. She did 2 in 7th while my son did SL 100 (US history). This year she is doing MOH 3 for 8th grade, my son started with another highschool text (Glencoe) for the AD World history years, but I was so frustrated with it glossing over things that MOH gave MORE depth to that I asked him if he'd like to switch. (Things like one sentence about Constantine, covering several Roman Emperors in just a page or two, two sentences only about Saladin, etc...) He didn't love Glencoe anyway, and is now happily reading through MOH 2 and 3 this year. It's been a good fit here, I just wish MOH 4 would be out next year when both of my kids are ready for it!

Merry :-)

Another "Love it!" here! We are on our second year and my 9yo, 12yo, 13yo and 15yo are all using it. Last year I heard my dc (even my 12yos!) say, "I can't wait until we start History again!" When they saw me looking at other possible texts there was a threatened mutiny! :D

I love that the lessons are chock full of information yet not at all dry or boring. The activities are wonderfully varied and really bring the lessons to life.

After completing a volume I have my dc listen to SOTW as a refresher.

LOVE it here!

We started vol. 1 with my 2nd grader, and now, two years later, we're about to finish up vol. 2 and start vol. 3.

He's loved it since the beginning, often stating that history is his favorite subject. We both look forward to the lessons and any activities we choose to do.

We have not done the timeline aspect (I thought it was too much for him at his age, and plan to do it when we go through the books a second time in a few years).

We've just started doing the mapping and occasional notebooking pages, which he's enjoying.

MOH Volume I was part of Winter Promise's "Quest for the Ancient World" high school level. My dd wanted to do a year of ancient history BADLY, but Sonlight doesn't have a core for the high schoolers, so we went with WP in 10th grade.

She hated using MOH. It was too babyish for her, so I stopped using MOH and used Susan Wise Bauer's History of the Ancient World. Woot woot! It was a much better fit. Love SWB's writing style!! (Inserting shameless plug for our host website) :D

I like it okay, but more as supplemental reading than a stand-alone history curriculum. I'm not a textbook fan (I define "textbook" as a single text where a single author or publisher has summarized their single opinions of a whole lot of information and put them all into one book), so that plays a part in my response. She does have recommendations for other sources, which is good, but one source that she refers to often is Wikipedia which is NOT reliable. So that bothers me.

Thus, I use MOH as "another resource", but it's definitely not the core of our studies. My girls have enjoyed reading it. I did use volume 2 for my middle dd's history "spine" last year in 7th grade because SHE prefers textbooks and doesn't love history. But I gave her a lot of additional reading to supplement it (for "lit study"), which ended up working well for HER that one year. She had remembered quite a bit from our family studies w/another curriculum that we'd previously done, so I wasn't too worried about what she would or wouldn't get out of it by doing history this way last year.

And then there's the problem of what to do after finishing volume 3, since it's taking the author YEARS to complete volume 4. We originally started chronological history with MOH 1 when it was hot off the press, but we switched when I found our other curriculum partway through the year because it was a lot more complete, and included books I already owned, provided a nice layout in the TM, and other reasons. Plus, MOH 2 was nowhere near ready by the end of that year, so we would've had to find something else even if we hadn't started using another curriculum that we prefer. I'm just not impressed with the author's production timeline, especially when I see others putting out a lot more complete curriculums a lot faster. (AND keeping the print dates that they've promised!)

Thus, I voted "tried it, but might work better for another family" in your poll.

I also wanted to say that I do prefer MOH over some other textbooks, particularly those written for Christian schools. I like Notgrass for the same reason (more homeschool-friendly, and incorporates literature and writing), but Notgrass doesn't have anything for world history in the elementary years. So my middle dd did MOH 2 and 3 last year (mostly just read through them, plus literature that I assigned her), and is doing Notgrass this year for American history.

Likewise, I have MFW US-1877 listed in my siggy for my high schooler this year, but really she's just doing the *other* subjects in that package, not the history part of it (w/BJU). She's using Notgrass Exploring America instead.

Just some thoughts that might help resolve the problem of MOH not being a complete series. ;)

Plus, MOH 2 was nowhere near ready by the end of that year, so we would've had to find something else even if we hadn't started using another curriculum that we prefer.

So, just out of curiosity and to clarify, is Notgrass (or MFW) the other curriculum that you prefer over MOH?

So, just out of curiosity and to clarify, is Notgrass (or MFW) the other curriculum that you prefer over MOH?

Both -- Notgrass for a somewhat "textbookish" style, and MFW for a complete package. MFW is what we switched to partway through MOH 1 in 2005, and have used for several years until my oldest hit high school and my second dd "textbook girl" wanted something else. (And MFW years 1 and 2 include Notgrass, too.) We did paused a couple of times to try something else, but always came back to MFW (and now a MFW/Notgrass combo).

MOH Volume I was part of Winter Promise's "Quest for the Ancient World" high school level. My dd wanted to do a year of ancient history BADLY, but Sonlight doesn't have a core for the high schoolers, so we went with WP in 10th grade.

She hated using MOH. It was too babyish for her,

I'd agree that MOH 1 is VERY light and won't be enough for many high schoolers. My son didn't like it in 8th, but is really enjoying MOH 2 and 3 for HS--they are much more meaty (He's reading 2 MOH 2 lessons a day but will probably only do 1 per day with MOH 3).

I voted loved it, but a more accurate vote would be, "love it". We do both MoH and SotW. I like MoH much better. On some of the topics it gives more information. I find SotW to be more generalized to some extent, but there are some things in SotW that aren't in MoH, and vice versa. Because of this, we do both.

If you are young Earth, then I think you will like MoH. I loved the chapter on the Ice Age. I've learned a lot from reading MoH!

We are really, really liking it. I wouldn't say "love" right now, but definitely like! There was no like, so we hit love.

At first I thought some of the readings were too short, but it turns out my son doesn't want really indepth stories about every single person or time period, so it's been a good fit.

I am using it for the first time with a 6th grader. We are doing lightnotebooking, a simple timeline, and only do extra readings if my son shows great interest. :)

Dee