Menu

anything wrong with using a variety of curriculums for 2-3 rd grade science?

Halcyon

Right now, we are using BFSU (when I get my act together to read through it in advance), Creek Edge Task Cards Life Science for independent work--he really like these and I love how independent they are, Young Scientists Club experiments, and we are throwing in Sassafras Science (just the book itself to start out with, as he really wants to read it. Not sure we will add the other components as Elemental Science approach was a fail here).

Would I be doing him a disservice by not sticking to one approach? Younger really likes variety....thanks.

My 3rd grader is following along w/ Apologia Zoology flying creatures in a co-op class. They do experiments and discussion once a week. At home we follow up with library books and do some of the notebooking in the journal. We don't actually read the text. The teacher is, and is using it as a spine.

She also follows along with her sister's Memoria Press 5th grade science (the bird unit in particular. She won't be doing the rest, besides maybe hearing some as a read aloud.)

And I plan to do a human body study at some point this year with her. I will do plants with her informally over the summer, including our gardening.

We have always followed the WTM rotation for science, but we have never used a particular curric. We just make sure we cover the topics and do the notebooking/science writing recommended in WTM.

Why would there be? :confused:

:iagree: No problem at all. Content subjects do not suffer from curriculum. It's good to have a variety of subjects, though. On the other hand, five different math programs by third grade could be a problem. Math is systematic and sequential.

FWIW, we use BFSU, living books, and Nature Study once a week for science. Plus NeoK12 videos and resources.

Edited by sagira