Menu

WWYD with 4 dozen eggs?

This morning I bought 3 dozen eggs for the co-op science class that I teach. Then I forgot to pack them into the car, and left them in my fridge. :rolleyes: So I called a friend and asked her to pick up another 3 dozen eggs for me on her way to the co-op. A lot of kids were absent today too...

And now I have 4 dozen eggs sitting in my fridge. What would you do with them?

What would *I* do with them? Use them up in about two weeks without putting out any extra effort. ;)

What should *you* do with them? They'll last for a month or even a little more if they are fresh. You could make oven pancakes; have some fried eggs for breakfast most mornings (yum); break a French-toast amount in to a glass bowl and beat them, then freeze them to use later; hard boil some and use for snacking ...

Quiche. Frittata. Spanish omelette. Pumpkin pie. Pumpkin bread. Waffles. French toast. Pancakes. You could make and freeze any of these to be reheated later. The quiche, frittata, and omelette would be a little tougher, but still tasty for those meals you just don't want to cook.

We would go through those within about 5 days. An extra four dozen on top of what I try to keep stocked in the fridge would just mean I didn't have to have dh pick any up before shopping day. :lol: What we do ... french toast, pancakes/German pancake, scrambled, fried, hard-boiled. We tend to have eggs as a meal almost every day.

Well we got through a dozen eggs just having scrambled eggs or french toast for breakfast or egg salad for lunch. Add in any baking we want to do and we go through a couple dozen a week.

You could go for the obvious things like quiche, omelettes, frittattas, boiled etc. I promise you will have no prblem going through them quickly.

My first thought was, "doesn't everyone have 4 dozen eggs in their fridge?" ;). When we have extra eggs someone makes pudding . . . shoot, now I'm craving pudding :tongue_smilie:

:D I should have known I'd get answers like this.

I used to be able to go through a couple dozen eggs a week, but we just don't anymore. I think it's because I started making green smoothies every morning for breakfast so dh isn't cooking himself eggs for breakfast anymore. And I don't like the smell of eggs in the morning.

Besides, I think I turned into an egg snob when I started buying fresh eggs from a local farm. And these are the cheapo Wal-Mart eggs. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by bonniebeth4
I'm coming to hate autocorrect

:D I should have known I'd get answers like this.

I used to be able to go through a couple dozen eggs a week, but we just don't anymore. I think it's because I started making green smoothies every morning for breakfast so dh isn't cooking himself eggs for breakfast anymore. And I don't like the smell of eggs in the morning.

Besides, I think I turned into an egg snob when I started buying fresh eggs from a local farm. And these are the cheapo Wal-Mart eggs. :tongue_smilie:

Oh, Walmart eggs. Gross! We get farm eggs too.

I would give them away to friends or to the food bank. At least most of them. Or I would use some of them to practice making Ukranian Easter eggs or other techniques that I had always wanted to try, like writing on them with white crayon and then dyeing them normally, or putting leaves around them in a design, holding it on with netting, and boiling them in tea to color them with sillouettes (no idea how to spell that, sorry), or something like that.

Or I would blow a bunch of them out, and color the blown eggs, and then string them on fancy ribbon to make garlands for Easter. If you do this, knot the ribbon above and below each egg, and they will stay in position. I did this one year with sari ribbon and light brown eggs that I drew little abstract designs on with colored Sharpies, and it was very effective.

I'd hard boil a dozen for snacks.

I'd use half a dozen in a broccoli fritatta.

About a week later I'd use another half dozen in a strata.

I'd give a dozen to my next door neighbor.

That leaves a dozen to use as I regularly would between shopping days.

That sounds good. I bet a little green pepper and onion in it would be the bomb.

EGGS - Now this is something I know about. Our hens give us about 3.5 doz a week. I just steamed a dozen this morning for deviled (angel) eggs. They will be gone before the day is over. :001_smile:

I do feel bad for you having to eat cheapo WM eggs though. :tongue_smilie:

What would *I* do with them? Use them up in about two weeks without putting out any extra effort. ;)

What should *you* do with them? They'll last for a month or even a little more if they are fresh. You could make oven pancakes; have some fried eggs for breakfast most mornings (yum); break a French-toast amount in to a glass bowl and beat them, then freeze them to use later; hard boil some and use for snacking ...

Us too. We eat a lot of eggs.

They do last a while.

I like to make custards for "healthier" desserts. Or home made ice cream.

Dh and I eat 2-3 each in the mornings. So, we could go through a couple dozen a week with just the two of us! I'll use a few more for making mayonnaise or egg drop soup or quiche or crustless sweet potato (or pumpkin) pie, etc, etc...

Back when we used to eat sugar and wheat (alas!), I would make pound cake. Pound cake is beautiful and wonderful -- and you can freeze them to give as gifts. :)

Sorry, I'm too lazy to reply to everyone on my phone...but I appreciate all the suggestions. SwellMomma, I was (mostly) teasing, too. The only problem I've ever had with Wal-Mart eggs is when I don't check to make sure the shells are intact before I stick them I the cart (coming home with half a dozen broken eggs does wonders for a person's memory, though).

A frittata for dinner sounds lovely.

And dd11 swoons over deviled eggs.

And pound cake...:drool: how could I forget about pound cake??

I would make a double batch of chocolate pudding. Then I would freeze some for pudding pops.

I would make brioche for cinnamon rolls. Then I would make a batch of vanilla custard to put into those rolls.

I would make deviled eggs or egg salad (actually I would tell the boys to make one of those since they made them so much over the summer).

I would have only 1 dozen left. I'd probably make and freeze some pound cake.

Dh and I eat 2-3 each in the mornings. So, we could go through a couple dozen a week with just the two of us! I'll use a few more for making mayonnaise or egg drop soup or quiche or crustless sweet potato (or pumpkin) pie, etc, etc...

Back when we used to eat sugar and wheat (alas!), I would make pound cake. Pound cake is beautiful and wonderful -- and you can freeze them to give as gifts. :)

Oh, it's October isn't it?! Can I whine a little about living in the sub-tropics? I always forget the holidays are coming, because it never cools off! I LOVE all those custard-y pies I get to make in the fall.

All this talk of pound cake isn't good for my low-carb self. :lol: I'm having a cruddy day and pound cake sounds so good right now.

OP, I thought of you this morning as I proceeded to crack 10 eggs for breakfast for the kids and me. I actually could have used the entire dozen; we all, even the baby girl, seem to be able to eat more than 2 eggs a person for breakfast. (And mine aren't even teenagers yet!) :svengo:

Well, we go through about 2-3dozen a week, and eggs last at least a month, so I'd just not buy eggs for a bit. We scramble them, fry them, devil them, hard boil them, stir-fry with them, etc. Crustless quiche, frittata, huevos rancheros, deviled eggs, egg burritos, egg casserole and egg salad are all popular dinner options around here if you prefer not to eat them for breakfast. One egg-based dinner would use up at least a dozen for a family of 6! We prefer farm-fresh also but don't particularly have a problem with Walmart or whatnot. If that's what I had on hand we'd eat 'em.

Well, we go through about 2-3dozen a week, and eggs last at least a month, so I'd just not buy eggs for a bit. We scramble them, fry them, devil them, hard boil them, stir-fry with them, etc. Crustless quiche, frittata, huevos rancheros, deviled eggs, egg burritos, egg casserole and egg salad are all popular dinner options around here if you prefer not to eat them for breakfast. One egg-based dinner would use up at least a dozen for a family of 6! We prefer farm-fresh also but don't particularly have a problem with Walmart or whatnot. If that's what I had on hand we'd eat 'em.

Would you be willing to share your recipe for crustless quiche?

Quiche. Frittata. Spanish omelette. Pumpkin pie. Pumpkin bread. Waffles. French toast. Pancakes. You could make and freeze any of these to be reheated later. The quiche, frittata, and omelette would be a little tougher, but still tasty for those meals you just don't want to cook.

:iagree:

Also, frozen custard.....yum!

Ha ha! I think this is the exact experiment that Bonnie did at the co-op, which is why she has so many eggs.

Yes it is! I got it off that same website. And I still have a couple of eggs pickling in vinegar right now, because I haven't gotten around to taking them out an finishing up the experiment with my own kids.

I bet you have a friend who is having a birthday soon and loves pound cake .... :001_smile:

:lol: Hint taken. I'll make a couple of pound cakes this weekend. Ds is up for having a pound cake for his birthday, too. You shouldn't have to make your own birthday cake. We can even pretend they're vegan. ;)