Menu

Trying to figure DD out

We were in Target and ran into a friend by the changing room. About 5 minutes later when we'd gone to the other side of the store DD8 says to me, "Mom remember when we saw that friend of yours at the store... the one who (she went on to say enough that I was pretty sure it was the friend we just talked with)? When was that? What day was that?"

So I said, "Sweetie that was today."

DD looks puzzled and then asks, "Well what store was that at then?"

Seriously, 5 minutes had passed. This ended up with her in tears because she was so upset she couldn't place when and where this had occurred.

She's always flustered and freaking out and forgetting things we have just said. She's never doing what I've asked her to do. She's always confused and a step behind. I'm not sure what to think of it.

Is she dyslexic?

Honestly, I have no idea what to say, except that I would be very concerned if my 8yo couldn't distinguish between something that happened 5 minutes ago and something that happened days or weeks ago.

If you'd said she couldn't remember when it was, but thought it was last week, but it had actually been 2 weeks, I wouldn't think that was a big deal, but what you're describing seems sort of extreme, especially since she couldn't even remember it was the same store in which you were still shopping.

How is she with keeping things straight, like does she know if something is "in front of" her or does she sometimes say it's "behind" her by mistake -- or if you tell her to "turn to your left," does she often turn to her right? Can she follow directions (like if you tell her to get something from her room and bring it to the dining room, can she do it?)

I think those may be symptoms of stealth dyslexia (or something like that,) but again, I'm grasping at straws here because I really don't know.

I guess the important question is whether or not she has always been like this, because if it's a new thing, it would be even more worrisome. Either way, I would still have her checked out by a pediatric neurologist, to rule out any sort of physical problem, and if she's fine physically (and I hope she is!) you can try to get a diagnosis to figure out what kind of therapy she might need to get her brain working properly so she can keep better track of things. I don't want to scare you, because she is probably just fine and her issues are some sort of learning or processing disability that is completely treatable, but I think it's always better to be safe. :grouphug:

I'm sure others will know, though! :001_smile:

Edited by Catwoman

My 7yo can be a bit spacy and forgetful, like an absent-minded professor. I can tell him to do something, and he'll just be in his own little world and not have it register. He might forget that something happened yesterday and think it was a week ago. It's possible that by the evening, he might forget that something that happened early today did indeed happen today.

But this would concern me. Forgetting something that happened five minutes ago sounds worrisome to me.

Is she dyslexic?

Honestly, I have no idea what to say, except that I would be very concerned if my 8yo couldn't distinguish between something that happened 5 minutes ago and something that happened days or weeks ago.

If you'd said she couldn't remember when it was, but thought it was last week, but it had actually been 2 weeks, I wouldn't think that was a big deal, but what you're describing seems sort of extreme, especially since she couldn't even remember it was the same store in which you were still shopping.

How is she with keeping things straight, like does she know if something is "in front of" her or does she sometimes say it's "behind" her by mistake -- or if you tell her to "turn to your left," does she often turn to her right? Can she follow directions (like if you tell her to get something from her room and bring it to the dining room, can she do it?)

I think those may be symptoms of stealth dyslexia (or something like that,) but again, I'm grasping at straws here because I really don't know.

I guess the important question is whether or not she has always been like this, because if it's a new thing, it would be even more worrisome.

I'm sure others will know, though! :001_smile:

She's struggled with directional things. She does have some red flags for dyslexia.

Normally it's not this obviously off. I just considered her ditzy, flakey, absent minded... I figured she wasn't paying attention, didn't care, was distracted.

But she's always been quick to panic and I've wondered why. But maybe this is the key to why.

Following directions, lol. I just viewed it as distracted before. She never seemed defiant so I figured how often she failed to do what I said was related to add or something similar. She's always having to double and triple check if she's done things because she can never remember.

She's had other neurological issues in the past but it was when she was 3 and under. I'll have to make some phone calls tomorrow.

She's struggled with directional things. She does have some red flags for dyslexia.

Normally it's not this obviously off. I just considered her ditzy, flakey, absent minded... I figured she wasn't paying attention, didn't care, was distracted.

But she's always been quick to panic and I've wondered why. But maybe this is the key to why.

Following directions, lol. I just viewed it as distracted before. She never seemed defiant so I figured how often she failed to do what I said was related to add or something similar. She's always having to double and triple check if she's done things because she can never remember.

She's had other neurological issues in the past but it was when she was 3 and under. I'll have to make some phone calls tomorrow.

FWIW, I feel better knowing that this isn't a sudden-onset kind of thing. I would still request an MRI, just to be safe, though.

I mean, there's definitely something wrong here, but it's probably a "getting her wires crossed" kind of thing, where she'll need some sort of therapy to help her sort of re-learn how to think about things, rather than some sort of scary physical illness kind of thing. I'm not saying it won't be a lot of work and effort, but I would be worried about serious illness if she'd always been perfectly fine, and all of a sudden she was at Target and didn't know what was going on.

Can you ask other family members if they have noticed similar behavior when they were alone with her?

FWIW, I feel better knowing that this isn't a sudden-onset kind of thing. I would still request an MRI, just to be safe, though.

I mean, there's definitely something wrong here, but it's probably a "getting her wires crossed" kind of thing, where she'll need some sort of therapy to help her sort of re-learn how to think about things, rather than some sort of scary physical illness kind of thing. I'm not saying it won't be a lot of work and effort, but I would be worried about serious illness if she'd always been perfectly fine, and all of a sudden she was at Target and didn't know what was going on.

Can you ask other family members if they have noticed similar behavior when they were alone with her?

That makes sense that if it was totally out of the blue it would be more concerning.

She's been in therapy after therapy after therapy. They released her about 18 months ago. I may have to call them back.

Oh everyone notices she never knows what is going on. She is a mess.

She exhibits this behavior constantly? Did her pediatrician not send her to a neurologist? If this is new behavior, my child would be there when the ped walked in tomorrow. If this is a chronic situation, I would be very unhappy that my child hadn't been evaluated for strokes, seizures, and more.

She exhibits this behavior constantly? Did her pediatrician not send her to a neurologist? If this is new behavior, my child would be there when the ped walked in tomorrow. If this is a chronic situation, I would be very unhappy that my child hadn't been evaluated for strokes, seizures, and more.

It hasn't been this obvious. She's always off, spacey, forgetful, not learning, seeming like she just doesnt care and only wants to do her own thing but yet not defiant at all. It's always puzzled me that I can tell she is a pleaser yet she's always off. When she was in therapy all her therapist just said she was extremely ADD. Everyone thinks she's incredibly spoilt too and overly babied. So it's all been brushed off as that.

I have had concerns that it was more though. She is always panicked, worried, and stressed. She's a ball of nerves. She's always confused. She isn't really learning well in school. She isn't reading well at all.

I did pretty much accept it when the therapist said ADD though. I could see how that could explain everything. So even though it felt off I just figured I was crazy.

No one wanted to medicate her though because she was underweight and small for her age.

This situation though just showed the typical in a more extreme way that stripped away some of the usual explanations for her behavior.

Really, no one takes me serious with this particular dd because I have always been a bit overprotective with her.

I haven't even talked with her ped about any of this in the last 2 years. This is just who we've accepted her to be so it didn't come up. Even the peds office teases me for spoiling her.

And yes, that does get old. But it's true to a point.

Seizures is in the back of my mind. She actually had seizures in the past. But she went 2 years seizure free and was released from the neurologist. She had MRIs and EEGs and nothing showed up. Seems like it may be time to check it all out again though.

It hasn't been this obvious. She's always off, spacey, forgetful, not learning, seeming like she just doesnt care and only wants to do her own thing but yet not defiant at all. It's always puzzled me that I can tell she is a pleaser yet she's always off. When she was in therapy all her therapist just said she was extremely ADD. Everyone thinks she's incredibly spoilt too and overly babied. So it's all been brushed off as that.

I have had concerns that it was more though. She is always panicked, worried, and stressed. She's a ball of nerves. She's always confused. She isn't really learning well in school. She isn't reading well at all.

I did pretty much accept it when the therapist said ADD though. I could see how that could explain everything. So even though it felt off I just figured I was crazy. <snip>

Seizures is in the back of my mind. She actually had seizures in the past. But she went 2 years seizure free and was released from the neurologist. She had MRIs and EEGs and nothing showed up. Seems like it may be time to check it all out again though.

I have an ADD child and she is nothing like that. She is non-stop energy and quick as a whip. Not ditzy or spacey at all. I agree with the others-neurologist, yesterday.

I have an ADD child and she is nothing like that. She is non-stop energy and quick as a whip. Not ditzy or spacey at all. I agree with the others-neurologist, yesterday.

Right. I'm pretty ADD and not at all spacey. Our babysitter had "quiet" seizures as a teen and they affected her memory quite a bit. Hope you find out what's up. Forgetting what happened 5minutes ago or where you are isn't normal,

Really, no one takes me serious with this particular dd because I have always been a bit overprotective with her.

I haven't even talked with her ped about any of this in the last 2 years. This is just who we've accepted her to be so it didn't come up. Even the peds office teases me for spoiling her.

If no one is taking you seriously, it's time for new doctors. These problems are so clearly not a result of a child being spoiled. :glare:

Seriously.

Is there any way you can secretly videotape her, so a new doctor could see exactly what's going on? I think the example of what happened at Target should raise some major red flags for any doctor, even your regular doctor -- and when you see him or her, be sure there's someone to take your dd out of the office so you can speak with the doctor alone to voice your concerns, so you don't have to say everything in front of your dd.

Realistically, if you have any doubt about whether or not your dd's current doctor will take you seriously, call on the phone and speak with the doctor, explaining the Target incident in full detail, and see what kind of response you get. If the doctor brushes you off, you absolutely, positively need a new doctor. (I'm sure you'll need a neurologist anyway, but you'll still need the primary care person, and if this one isn't taking you seriously, that is just plain wrong!)

Is it OK if I pray for your dd? My prayers might not mean much, but I'd like to put in a few good words for her health and that you're able to find a solution to her problems if it's OK with you. :grouphug:

If no one is taking you seriously, it's time for new doctors. These problems are so clearly not a result of a child being spoiled. :glare:

Seriously.

Is there any way you can secretly videotape her, so a new doctor could see exactly what's going on? I think the example of what happened at Target should raise some major red flags for any doctor, even your regular doctor -- and when you see him or her, be sure there's someone to take your dd out of the office so you can speak with the doctor alone to voice your concerns, so you don't have to say everything in front of your dd.

Realistically, if you have any doubt about whether or not your dd's current doctor will take you seriously, call on the phone and speak with the doctor, explaining the Target incident in full detail, and see what kind of response you get. If the doctor brushes you off, you absolutely, positively need a new doctor. (I'm sure you'll need a neurologist anyway, but you'll still need the primary care person, and if this one isn't taking you seriously, that is just plain wrong!)

:grouphug::iagree::grouphug:

My first thought is that it might be something like Multiple Chemical Sensitivities. My DH can get just like that when he is shopping because of all the chemicals.

An example - once we were in a shop and DH was talking to the shop assistant. the shop assistant had his name, Peter, in huge letters over his shirt. DH asked the shop assistant 6 times in a one minute conversation what his name was. DH's name is Peter. he can get so spaced out that he cannot remember a thing.

I'd make the next appointment with a neurologist.

:iagree: My sis was epileptic and this sounds frighteningly familiar.

Since your dd already has a history of seizures, I'd get back in touch with her neuro and ask to have her reevaluated ASAP. So sorry your girl is struggling. :grouphug:

I did pretty much accept it when the therapist said ADD though. I could see how that could explain everything. So even though it felt off I just figured I was crazy.

No one wanted to medicate her though because she was underweight and small for her age.

This situation though just showed the typical in a more extreme way that stripped away some of the usual explanations for her behavior.

And yes, that does get old. But it's true to a point.

Absolutely. Seizures is the first thing that came to mind.

Do you notice her staring off into space, unaware of the happenings around her?

My kids have occasionally spaced out on that level before and I never thought they needed a medical doctor. I do know that young kids have rotten short term memories, so when my kids were really young (like 4 or 5 yo), they said things like that all the time. Maybe not five minutes later, but within the hour or half hour certainly. It's gotten better as they've gotten older, but they do sometimes still have completely spacey moments. It does seem a bit extreme... still, I don't know if panic is warranted.

ETA: It never ends in tears for my kids when they've spaced out though. More like, "Huh? Oh yeeeaah."

Edited by farrarwilliams

My friend's dd used to do this and it was getting worse. She had add and a host of lds.

They actually found out she also had severe sleep apnea. She has to sleep with oxygen now.

My dd has significant delays, add, language and communication problems up the wazoo, etc. She forgets names like crazy, but she has NEVeR forgotten an event from the same day. It was scary to watch my friend's dd go through this.

Definitely have your physician refer you to a neurologist.

While petit-mal/absence seizures present as "spacing out" they also mean a removal of consciousness. She wouldn't remember those moments. There are other seizures though (partial seizures) which result in partial or altered consciousness. In that state it would be very difficult to know when (or even if) something happened. It can be very confusing and frightening, and yes, it affects schoolwork, memory, daily life.

How is the quality of her auditory hearing?

Her hearing is fine. It's been checked several times.

Right. I'm pretty ADD and not at all spacey. Our babysitter had "quiet" seizures as a teen and they affected her memory quite a bit. Hope you find out what's up. Forgetting what happened 5minutes ago or where you are isn't normal,

I know some people with ADD who are incredibly spacey. I have ADD and I tend to be spacey. So it was believable to me... especially when she was younger and I didn't expect her to get certain things. But there's always been something a bit different with her situation. It's just becoming more obvious now.

Seriously.

Is it OK if I pray for your dd? My prayers might not mean much, but I'd like to put in a few good words for her health and that you're able to find a solution to her problems if it's OK with you. :grouphug:

I love our doctors. They've been with me through a lot of craziness. So they are great. I believe they have just gotten so used to laughing at dd's rottenness that it's a joke. I haven't gone in truly UPSET about anything with her. When I have with my other children they have taken me very seriously. So I'll go back and talk to them.

She also has an appt with a neuropsych.

:iagree: My sis was epileptic and this sounds frighteningly familiar.

Since your dd already has a history of seizures, I'd get back in touch with her neuro and ask to have her reevaluated ASAP. So sorry your girl is struggling. :grouphug:

I'm calling the neurologist we saw before as well.

Have you looked into Central Auditory Processing Disorder? My son with CAPD sometimes sounds like your DD.

I wondered about that at times. She was screened for it though and the therapist didn't think it was CAPD. Of course they could be wrong. Plus that was almost 2 years ago so things may show up now that didn't then. It's worth keeping in mind.

Absolutely. Seizures is the first thing that came to mind.

Do you notice her staring off into space, unaware of the happenings around her?

That possibility is definitely in the back of my mind. Especially since she had seizures in the past.

My kids have occasionally spaced out on that level before and I never thought they needed a medical doctor. I do know that young kids have rotten short term memories, so when my kids were really young (like 4 or 5 yo), they said things like that all the time. Maybe not five minutes later, but within the hour or half hour certainly. It's gotten better as they've gotten older, but they do sometimes still have completely spacey moments. It does seem a bit extreme... still, I don't know if panic is warranted.

ETA: It never ends in tears for my kids when they've spaced out though. More like, "Huh? Oh yeeeaah."

I don't know either. I think it bothers me that I feel like whatever this is has become a bigger issue and not something she's outgrowing.

Definitely have your physician refer you to a neurologist.

While petit-mal/absence seizures present as "spacing out" they also mean a removal of consciousness. She wouldn't remember those moments. There are other seizures though (partial seizures) which result in partial or altered consciousness. In that state it would be very difficult to know when (or even if) something happened. It can be very confusing and frightening, and yes, it affects schoolwork, memory, daily life.

Yes, that bothered me on the seizure theory because she remember so much about it. I vaguely remember though that my brother, who has epilepsy, could have a seizure and he would be kinda lost about the hour or two before the seizure. It seemed to totally throw him off. So if it's a seizure perhaps it happened after the conversation with our friend and then messed her timeline up?? I'l have to look into partial seizures.

I missed the fact that she had seizures in the past. I taught a girl who had seizures like that and you really would never know it and she really was very, very spacey afterwards. I remember witnessing one where I was sitting on the floor talking to her and she just was still and unresponsive for a few seconds. Then, afterwards, she had no idea what we'd been talking about before. But if I hadn't known she had this condition, I never, in a million years would have thought, seizure. And then when I told her she'd almost certainly just had one, she absolutely refused to believe me.

So... with that history, that would be different. Good luck.