Menu

How to discourage knuckle cracking_ anxiety related

Stop trying to get him to stop and instead find ways of reducing his stress. I don't know what those ways would be, but you are likey CAUSING him more stress by focusing on his stress-relieving mechanism, kwim? :grouphug:

Yes. The focus should not be the knuckles at all. The knuckles are a coping skill (not a good one, but a skill nonetheless). You'll need to address the anxiety and stress instead and teach an elevated, or better, coping skill.

And you'll need his buy in.

I'm guessing the less focus you put on the knuckles, the better.

You could do what my mother did and say it makes your knuckles grow too big. She really thinks that though.

DS tends to pick up little ticks. Once he had this head nodding thing. Then it was over blinking. There have been many. He doesn't like when it happens and wants me to remind him so I do. It eventually moves on to something else. He does probably have a bit of anxiety and is always coming up with crazy ideas. He doesn't do it around other people though.

This is too funny!! My 9 year old son was doing this. I've noticed that as he corrects one habit, he develops another. Cracking his neck was worse and he cracked his knuckles, too. Then he stopped cracking the neck... then stopped the knuckles (almost) He licks his lips in an upward motion... UGH...

For me, I've found that I needed to talk with him about if HE wanted to stop. I had the Chiropractor tell him about the problems with cracking his neck....

I also stopped doing some things that I had been.... I've never been a big spanker or yeller, but I've stopped spanking him... (which would have been soon, anyway) I try REALLY hard not to "shout out" which is more of what I do than really "yelling at him"....

I try for him not to be in anxious situations, although he still has to do hard physical work.

I talk to him about it and invite his participation... that's the hugest key, I think. :) (Then I ask, "Would you like me to remind you?" And I literally say, "Remember, you don't want to do that..." which them becomes just a look or something..

Good Luck!!

Stop trying to get him to stop and instead find ways of reducing his stress. I don't know what those ways would be, but you are likey CAUSING him more stress by focusing on his stress-relieving mechanism, kwim? :grouphug:

we have tried. everything even slightly stressful, except for physical stuff like a tournament for hockey - for example, seems to give him some amount of stress. if he's doing math and cant figure it out right away, if he is asked to study for an upcoming test, if he is TAKING a test, if he is struggling on a writing assignment, if he is unable to figure out exactly what someone is asking of him....okay, so writing this out, it feels like it is related to performace stuff, but only academic. i am not going to NOT challenge him. it also happens when there is nothing to stress him out00like driving to hockey today and he is doing it while he daydreams. Ideas?

Is he aware and does he want to stop? With DS he knows he gets these little habits, often also related to academic or mental stress. Like when he is concentrating. He is very focused, analytical, spends a lot of time on the computer working on something for possibly HOURS.

I find with DS that if I rub his back a little he eases up. He gets very tense. And he is aware of the habit and is ok with me reminding him every single time.

ETA: Oh another thing. I have this stress ball thing that he likes to fidget with. Maybe find something to replace what he is doing with something else.

Is he aware and does he want to stop? With DS he knows he gets these little habits, often also related to academic or mental stress. Like when he is concentrating. He is very focused, analytical, spends a lot of time on the computer working on something for possibly HOURS.

I find with DS that if I rub his back a little he eases up. He gets very tense. And he is aware of the habit and is ok with me reminding him every single time.

he is aware of the habit, but doesnt really seem to waant to stop.. he too is very tight, tense, sore in his shoulders, neck *he cracks that too*, legs, hips. i am trying to get him to try yoga but he isnt interested.

he is aware of the habit, but doesnt really seem to waant to stop.. he too is very tight, tense, sore in his shoulders, neck *he cracks that too*, legs, hips. i am trying to get him to try yoga but he isnt interested.

You could maybe try a stress ball or something. Maybe explain to him that this could be holding him back and it is something we should really work at toning down. I have all sorts of little fidgety things. Stress ball, this clamp thing you squeeze, and little metal puzzles....I don't know how to explain it they are 2 pieces intertwined and you have to figure out how to get them apart. But that may be stressful for him if he doesn't like that kind of thing.

Oh, I forgot to ask if you had tried stress balls, even smaller ones you can make yourself... And maybe tried massage?? I really found the chiro great for my son. We went quite a few times in about a month or so?? to get him all adjusted ;)

Yes i am considering chiropractic. Thanks!