Menu

People who sew--How hard would it be to make this dress?

First, I can sew but I'm not an expert. Second, I don't have a pattern and can't find a similar one.

My dd needs a white dress for a lyrical solo. This one is perfect, but it's a custom order and wouldn't be ready in time. I'd be happy to make it, but I've never attempted something without a pattern. Is it doable, or should we just forget it? Any suggestions?

$%28KGrHqV,%21isE+2-St7KeBQDoSNwF7Q%7E%7E60_12.JPG

I dunno - getting that waistline right without a pattern would intimidate me. I'm fairly competent on a sewing machine - nothing too fancy, but could handle the rest of the dress, but not hte waist without specific instructions.

Can you find a pattern for something similiar?

I'm sorry. I hate finding something I really like and then not being able to pull it off.

I have done a lot of sewing in my day and some without patterns but there is a lot going on with this dress. The waist line, the hem line, the way the skirt lays, the top part and the way it lays...... I would not have the confidence in being able to do it with out a pattern at all. One thing I have done is find 2 or three patterns that each might has a specific character of the item that I like and putting them together. That has always worked for me. One other thing you might try is if you have an old very limp sheet, using it for a pattern. In other words make your pattern out of the sheet, fitting it to your dd. I used to do this with wedding dresses for gals that the pattern was way off in one place or another.

Hope you can make something work.:001_smile:

If it were me on this short notice I would go with a leo paired with a great skirt. THere are a lot of cute leotards that have that type of neck line and really those dresses are nothing but leotards and skirts for the most part. Have you checked the online places like discount dance?

Are you okay with altering patterns? I have a simplicity pattern that's quite similar. The patterns not difficult, but there's no way I'd try it without a pattern. The way the waist attaches to the bodice is kind of tricky.

We're about to head out. When I get home, I'll send you that pattern number. I just purchased it over the summer, so it should still be in print

How much sewing have you done?

I have this sinking feeling that the skirt is bias cut in order to get that draping effect and bias cut sewing is not straightforward.

Faith

That is what I was thinking.

Though that looks like something you could get away with "wrapping" some fabric around her. Have you seen those wrap type dresses you can wear one thousand different ways? I'm thinking something like that. I'd have to think of an easy method to sew that.

I am not an expert but I have made tons of leotards and swim suits. That fabric takes a little bit of a learning curve to sew with besides the obvious, no pattern. However, many of us can help answer some questions as you go thru the process.

Have you looked at Kwik Sew patterns? They are fantastic and fit the best especially when it comes to knit patterns.

Check them out and do a search for leotards. There might be something you can make work.

#3836 for the bodice and #3331 for the skirt gives you a similiar look.

I think I've seen similar patterns for the top half. Simplicity 3775 comes to mind. I think it's out of print, though (a shame -- it was a wildly popular pattern). Or a top pattern -- ruching around the waist was quite the thing 2 or 3 years ago.

Do you want to retain the hip yoke?

The squared off skirt is available in various skirt and dress patterns. I've gotta run somewhere, or I'd find some samples and maybe an online tutorial.

I'd find a pattern for the top half, and a pattern for the bottom half, and do a "Frankenpattern". I don't think it would be that hard.

I'd recommend the discount dance supply link. Thick or double-layered white Lycra, which is what you'll need to prevent show-through, is expensive. I made a white cheer leading costume for my toddler and the fabric alone cost more than the dresses on discount dance supply. Given the drape and wrap of the dress, you'd be better off getting a close copy.

I don't think it would be that hard.

I agree. I don't think it would be *hard*, and if you're up for a challenge and have the time, you'd learn a lot doing it. You could even draft it yourself, if you're so inclined. Basically, you need a full circle skirt made into a square (for the points that hang down), plus a waistband (much like a yoga skirt), and two long ties attached to the waistband. Obviously, a stretchy, drapey fabric is key.

Here's a free tutorial, so you don't need a pattern - you'd need to square the circle for the skirt, but that's easy. (This is called an "infinity" dress, by the way, in case you want to Google more...)

...Thick or double-layered white Lycra, which is what you'll need to prevent show-through, is expensive. ...

Yes. The McCalls pattern takes around 4.5 yards, and even from Spandex World or Spandex House it's going to be around $45 for a single layer. Add the theater lights and at least the front needs to be lined, which would be a bit tricky given it would make the front tie thingys thicker. So even though this is an easy dress (knits like this are easy to sew), given that it's for a kid and a competition and there's a deadline, and given the DD one is only $30, I'd buy it. Unless, of course, you have yards and yards of white nylon lycra laying around the house (which, er, some of us might...), in which case go for it!

Here's something very similar for thirty bucks. To be honest, you couldn't get the fabric for that price. Here's another pic.

There is a pattern for this kind of convertible dress, and many web tutorials, but I wouldn't want to attempt it on a deadline if I could get it for $30.

That's true about the bolded. It would be a tricky thing to make, even harder without a pattern, and not inexpensive.

...Unless, of course, you have yards and yards of white nylon lycra laying around the house (which, er, some of us might...), in which case go for it!

Doesn't everyone have yards and yards of dance costume fabric laying around?

No?

Anyone???

Just me I guess...

Unless, of course, you have yards and yards of white nylon lycra laying around the house (which, er, some of us might...), in which case go for it!

:lol: It's sort of frightening to realize this doesn't sound that outlandish to me.

Just the other night I was asked if I could think of a use for about 20 yards of leopard print lycra, as the person had some they didn't need. At the time it seemed like a normal conversation, but now that you mention it, that's sort of an odd problem to have.

maybe i'm kidding myself, but i think i could pull that off without a pattern:). i would use a fabric that has some lycra spandex or some stretch to it. if possible, i would use a print instead of just white (as prints can be more forgiving). i would get a dress or fitted shirt from your dd's closet & use that to help make a pattern. this website is helpful.

:iagree:

And I sew a lot. The fabric is slippery and stretchy and hard to work with, there's a lot of bias cutting, the crossover front would be hard to do without it being too bulky.

Yeah I totally hate sewing knits. I wouldn't even attempt it without a good serger and I have one and STILL hate sewing knits.

Doesn't everyone have yards and yards of dance costume fabric laying around?

No?

Anyone???

Just me I guess...

We were talking about five yards of white lycra. Now if it had been red with white polka dots...

:lol: It's sort of frightening to realize this doesn't sound that outlandish to me.

Just the other night I was asked if I could think of a use for about 20 yards of leopard print lycra, as the person had some they didn't need. At the time it seemed like a normal conversation, but now that you mention it, that's sort of an odd problem to have.

IKR? As the kids say...

(You took it, right? 'Cause that would make 4-5 infinity dresses!)

:iagree:

And I sew a lot. The fabric is slippery and stretchy and hard to work with, there's a lot of bias cutting, the crossover front would be hard to do without it being too bulky.

Nah, I know a teen who bashed one of these dresses together from old t-shirts and it looked great. It's just four pieces - a square for the skirt, a rectangle for the waistband, and two long rectangles for the straps. There's only one seam - where the waistband meets the skirt, which also encloses the ends of the straps. This tutorial breaks it down. (And this version, by the same author, is even more modest.) Just baste each part together with a zig-zag before serging the whole thing. And now that I think about it, you might not need to line it, as the OP's dd will likely be wearing a nude leo underneath, as most dancers do.

I always cut out using a rotary cutter and cutting mat, which is perfect for lycra fabric as it stays still while you cut. Since this pattern is just geometric shapes, it's easier still - you can do it quilter-style, with rulers, rather than using a paper pattern. There isn't any bias involved - the skirt is just a big square.

I knew this forum was dangerous. My dd also needs a white lyrical costume...

Edited by askPauline

Nah, I know a teen who bashed one of these dresses together from old t-shirts and it looked great. It's just four pieces - a square for the skirt, a rectangle for the waistband, and two long rectangles for the straps. There's only one seam - where the waistband meets the skirt, which also encloses the ends of the straps. This tutorial breaks it down. Just baste each part together with a zig-zag before serging the whole thing. And now that I think about it, you might not need to line it, as the OP's dd will likely be wearing a nude leo underneath, as most dancers do.

I always cut out using a rotary cutter and cutting mat, which is perfect for lycra fabric as it stays still while you cut. Since this pattern is just geometric shapes, it's easier still - you can do it quilter-style, with rulers, rather than using a paper pattern. There isn't any bias involved - the skirt is just a big square.

I knew this forum was dangerous. My dd also needs a white lyrical costume...

And you wouldn't bother with a hem. At most you'd just do some sort of narrow finish -- I might use a narrow line of serging if I wanted to give the edge weight, but otherwise the fabric wouldn't ravel so you can leave it raw.

Plus fitting knits is a dream. I have a friend who used to design dance costumes for a living. She said spandex was great to design with since it stretch into whatever shape you wanted. ON the other hand, I'd never attempt this sort of thing with chiffon :ack2: or satin.

Thanks everyone, lots of great suggestions here. I think you've talked me out of it. :D

I'm sure we can find something else. Doesn't seem like it should be so hard to find a white dress. :glare:

Actually, dd found a white dress at a 2nd hand store a couple of weeks ago, and the other mom (a dance instructor) commented that it looked like it would be perfect for lyrical. It was about $10.

If I had to do it, I'd cheat a bit. To me, stretchy fabric = harder, but it's doable. I'd take a fitted tank, and attach the squared off circle skirt and the top wrappy part to it.

Thats a good idea.

I can sew but i know i couldnt do this dress. I actually need to sew some pants into a skirt tonight and im not even thrilled about that! It is so easy but somehow I mess it up every time. :glare: