Menu

OPGTR book list?

Sctigermom

I didn't feel like searching so sorry if this has been asked previously. Now to my question: Is there a book list out there somewhere that goes with the OPGTR book? We are on lesson 73 and I have no idea what "level" or "grade" that puts us on. My 6 yr old can read cvc words, 2 and 3 letter blends, and simple long vowel words. We really love using OPGTR, but I think we would both enjoy reading lessons more if we could incorporate some books. I would like to do 2 OPGTR book lessons a week and read the other days.

My dd really loves Bob Books. I know some people think they're boring, but there really is more going on than just the simple words. The pictures tell a lot. I think they're perfect for kids who are reading cvc and slightly more.

I also stumbled upon a set of Primary Phonics readers at a thrift store, and we re really enjoying those.

The leveled readers I think you're referring to rely quite heavily on sight words. I personally stay away from them for now, until we get further in OPGTR, far enough to read those words phonetically.

Lesson 60 is roughly end of k. Lesson 120 is roughly end of 1st.

Bob books worked well. I found that around 90-100 my dd started reading dr Seuss-like early reader books easily.

That's really good to hear. I just checked and we start lesson 77 tomorrow so we are not far off.

Lesson 60 is roughly end of k. Lesson 120 is roughly end of 1st.

Bob books worked well. I found that around 90-100 my dd started reading dr Seuss-like early reader books easily.

Duh, I totally read op's question wrong. My bad. So much input around here! (Music, chatty toddler, crying baby, chatty 5-year-old, dh, AND written words?)

Now I'm Reading! books from Nora Gaydos were funny and the levels seemed to fit well with the OPGTR lessons. The NIR! Readers recommend you read through each book four times, so dd would read every book in the level (there are 10) then go back and pick which book she wanted to read until the series was done. This really helped solidify the phonics understanding. DD has finished up Level 4 in the 200s and we've moved onto easy readers.

Now I'm Reading! books from Nora Gaydos were funny and the levels seemed to fit well with the OPGTR lessons. The NIR! Readers recommend you read through each book four times, so dd would read every book in the level (there are 10) then go back and pick which book she wanted to read until the series was done. This really helped solidify the phonics understanding. DD has finished up Level 4 in the 200s and we've moved onto easy readers.

I alternate The Nora Gaydos books with Bob Books. I find that they compliment each other well. We read each book twice. For example we just started the 4th level of the Nora Gaydos books. We'll read one book a day until we are half way through the set and then go back and re-read those same five books for another five days. The 10 book set takes us 20 days. I have all five levels of Bob Books and four levels of Nora Gaydos books. If they are covering a rule we haven't yet learned in OPGTR I just quickly explain and help with any words as needed. They don't match up exactly with OPGTR but close enough and having both kinds of books and the repeating keeps us close to the pace of OPGTR. We'll finish all the books before we finish OPGTR, but at that point kids are usually decent readers and are ready to read at about Frog and Toad or Henry and Mudge (both good early readers) book level.

This list tells you what the child will be able to read after what lesson:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/readers-guide?___store=default

As for approximate "grade" levels, here is what I've always noted:

Around lesson 60 you have taught all the requirements of K

Start 1st grade level material around lesson 61

Then by 120 they start 2nd grade level, etc.

The end of the book ends with 4th grade level words.