Menu

Would you use this?

I was given a used dishwasher. It was rather...gross. Food stuff caked on everywhere (inside and out) and rusty racks, etc. REALLY rusty racks, like rusted completely through in spots.

Well, someone traded me racks (said they weren't bothered by the rust :confused: ) so the ones I have now aren't too bad. There are a couple of rust spots but nothing terrible. I cleaned the outside of it with bleach. I ran a bottle of Dishwasher Magic through it. I ran a cycle with vinegar. I ran a cycle with baking soda. It still looks a little dingy (stains, I assume), there are rust stains on the very top of the inside of the dishwasher, one of the racks has a little rust, and there is some caked on gunk (I assume food) in the area where the door closes. I tried to clean it with bleach but I can't fit my hand in there to scrub it, and there are a lot of tiny crevices.

So...Do I need to be concerned about the rust? Will it hurt us in any way? What about the food stuck around the edges of the door that I can't seem to get off? It's gross, but is it safe to assume that if it hasn't come off by now, though all those washes with various cleaning agents I used, it isn't going to? Bottom line: Would you use it?

I don't have any personal experience, but I am pretty sure that there is a product that you can use to cover the rust spots...it's like a coating of plastic. You brush it on.

I would definitely use the dishwasher, rust spots or not. But I would look for something to cover the spots.

have you tried running some CLR through the dishwasher? Have you tried using steel wool? I would try and see if there was a way to take the doors off so you could access the in-between areas to clean them. You could also try some Bar Keepers Friend soft cleanser.

I think I would use the dishwasher. I have no dishwasher, so maybe I am strange and desperate. But, if the dishwasher runs and does not leak, the I would say for free I would do whatever it takes to see if this dishwasher would work out!

When I used to work at Target, we had hard-water and after less than a month of being open we had terrible hard-water deposits/calcium build up on inside of dishwasher. It was horrific trying to clean that nasty dishwasher. If nothing else works, I would try commercial grade rust remover/dishwasher cleaner.

Good luck!

have you tried running some CLR through the dishwasher? Have you tried using steel wool? I would try and see if there was a way to take the doors off so you could access the in-between areas to clean them. You could also try some Bar Keepers Friend soft cleanser.

I think I would use the dishwasher. I have no dishwasher, so maybe I am strange and desperate. But, if the dishwasher runs and does not leak, the I would say for free I would do whatever it takes to see if this dishwasher would work out!

When I used to work at Target, we had hard-water and after less than a month of being open we had terrible hard-water deposits/calcium build up on inside of dishwasher. It was horrific trying to clean that nasty dishwasher. If nothing else works, I would try commercial grade rust remover/dishwasher cleaner.

Good luck!

Thanks. I have had no dishwasher for years and it is getting old. Maybe I will see if I can get the doors off.