Menu

Did you/do you go to a doctor about perimenopause issues?

I'm not really a "rush to the doctor" type and I'm not sure where I'd even start - GP? Annual OB? I'm due for a yearly OB, so I'm thinking of bringing it up there, but I don't want to derail the appt.

I don't know if I need some medical assistance or should just grit through it or if it matters to learn what my hormone levels actually are. Or just go back on BCP and hope that fixes most of the issues.

This last month was hard to take. :( I get waves of nausea, headaches and backaches that last for days, dizzy spells and sometimes, profuse sweating for no apparent reason. Oh and I totally LOST MY MIND over a conflict and was bawling my eyes out ten minutes before I needed to go to my college class.

Should I be journalling all this garbage going on?

My cycles have been awful for years. I do bring it up with my GP (she was an OB for 20-odd years until malpractice insurance got to be too much) ... she doesn't ever do anything about it, just commiserates that it stinks. I'm glad I never made an extra trip, though (just brought it up during regular visits), because it wouldn't have ever been worth the time/money etc.

I debated going in to talk about this issue. I ended up needing to go in for something else so when I scheduled the appt. I told them I needed to see her about both things. I went to my regular primary doctor as I don't go to a separate OB. She did bloodwork but told me that your hormones can fluctuate a lot, even within a particular day, so she doesn't base her decisions solely on the bloodwork. We also discussed hormone replacement, the risks behind it, and in what situations she would recommend it. In the end, she made an OTC recommendation.

I'm glad I went and was able to discuss things with her but I don't know that it would have been worth it to make a separate appt. for it. It would depend on what my out of pocket cost would be. Since you already need to make an annual appt. I would most likely bring it up then and mention it when scheduling so you can get the extra time to discuss it.

Annual appt is fine.

I just turned 45 and my months have been going like that too. This past one I felt horrible, dizzy, nausea, insomnia, cranky, and cramps for four days before I even started.

Oh and I was ask pouring sweat a few times. Not really hot, but seating. So nasty!

40's Re not fun...

I'm not really a "rush to the doctor" type and I'm not sure where I'd even start - GP? Annual OB? I'm due for a yearly OB, so I'm thinking of bringing it up there, but I don't want to derail the appt.

I don't know if I need some medical assistance or should just grit through it or if it matters to learn what my hormone levels actually are. Or just go back on BCP and hope that fixes most of the issues.

This last month was hard to take. :( I get waves of nausea, headaches and backaches that last for days, dizzy spells and sometimes, profuse sweating for no apparent reason. Oh and I totally LOST MY MIND over a conflict and was bawling my eyes out ten minutes before I needed to go to my college class.

Should I be journalling all this garbage going on?

No, I never did. So long as I read that what I was experiencing was within the bounds of normal (and like my Mom's experience), I didn't worry about it.

I never had anything like your last month though, certainly not all at once. But yeah, the crying over stuff. Normal. Very, very heavy periods were normal in my 40's. Much better in my 50's.

It wouldn't help to journal or go in, but they will probably put you on stuff.

I did for the ridiculous irritation. She recommended exercise and cutting out caffiene, (so not going to happen!), or antidepressants (they don't know why those work, but they do.)

I decided to try borage oil and it worked, so I went with that. It did not help with the river that used to be a trickle so to speak, nor the crampapolooza, but the irritation was my main concern and it took care of that completely.

I did for the ridiculous irritation. She recommended exercise and cutting out caffiene, (so not going to happen!), or antidepressants (they don't know why those work, but they do.)

I decided to try borage oil and it worked, so I went with that. It did not help with the river that used to be a trickle so to speak, nor the crampapolooza, but the irritation was my main concern and it took care of that completely.

What is borage oil and how do you use it?

I already exercise. I cut out coffee for a while, but it didn't seem to change anything, so I'm drinking it again. :tongue_smilie:

It is a vitamin type supplement that has the same active ingrediant as evening primrose oil. I had a friend who took it for PMS, so when I started to get kind of madder than was reasonable, I looked into it.

I get the capsules, I think that they hold 1200 mg each. I started out taking one in the morning and one in the evening starting day 14 every month, continuing through to day 1 of the next cycle; and then once I got used to how they act, I started to take them when I felt I needed them. Since this is a nutrient, I was not concerned about OD'ing, and so sometimes if one didn't work I would take two. Amazing stuff for that whole moody/weepy/ticked off thing.

I think your annual appointment is a great time to ask all of your questions. It's a good idea to write everything down, or you're almost guaranteed to forget to mention the most important stuff and you'll be kicking yourself all the way home. :tongue_smilie:

I hope you're able to get some help and some answers! Sometimes just knowing that what you're experiencing is normal, can be very comforting. :grouphug: