Menu

Crying baby

I hate anything that resembles "cry it out".

With that said, YOU aren't doing anything to feel badly about right now; when you feel yourself becoming angry or on that "edge", the best thing you can do is put him in a safe place and walk away. You've done nothing wrong and you have the sympathy of moms everywhere, lol :grouphug:.

Does he have reflux? Teething? Gas maybe?

Sometimes my 4 month old gets to *that* point. He won't nurse - he just screams. We do know that he has reflux though, so often I'll just lay him on his stomach and pat his back until he dozes.

I don't do crying it out either. . .he is ALWAYS pleasant, so I know something's off.

I'm about to head back up and check on him. . .I can hear him. He doesn't have any teeth yet, so perhaps teething? None of my others got teeth before 11 months though. . .I would much rather that than an ear infection. Oy vey.

Mine always "presented" teething by, when offered a knuckle in their mouth, they bit and gnawed instead of sucking (but they tended to be much younger when they teethed).

Ugh I hope he settles soon! My boys have both done it to me at various times. Once just a couple weeks ago and we never did figure out what was going on - just inconsolable sobbing for hours. Called the ped at one point and he was not helpful ("well you can go sit for a few hours in the ER if you want, but there's nothing we can do if he doesn't have a fever"). One of mine definitely does it for ear infections (he's only had 2, thankfully) the other sometimes when he's coming down with a cold (sore throat maybe?). I can't wait until they are verbal enough to tell me what is wrong!!!

You definitely shouldn't feel guilty! We're as anti-CIO as it comes but sometimes you have to walk away. And IME you have to do it a lot more often with twins. He'll be fine, and you need to do what you need to do.

Have you stripped him down and checked for anything out of the ordinary?

Way back when my kids were that young, I remember the nurse in the hospital telling me to always do that if the usual checking for fever, a full belly & fresh diaper change didn't help. She told me a story of someone who found an open safety pin in the diaper that was stabbing the baby.

Fast forward to my child at three or so months old. He was fed and clean and wouldn't take a nap. He was crying and carrying on like I had never heard and no amount of rocking would console him. This nurse's words just popped into my heed. So, I stripped him down to his diaper--- even the teeny socks came off. And I found that a tiny loose thread had wound around one of his itty bitty toes and the toe was purple. And grossly swollen. I almost couldn't get the string off, the toe was so swollen. The moment the thread loosened, he calmed down and fell asleep. I am convinced he would have lost his toe had I not found it when I did.

I hope your baby is OK. The sound of a crying baby just 'gets to me' even all these years later---- and my 'baby' is almost 16!!!

That's AWFUL. Poor baby. I've checked him and everything seems to be ok.

He's awake but quiet for now. His crying woke up his wombmate. . .so I held both of them together, and that is actually what calmed him down. I sooo hope it's not an ear infection. Would you believe in 6 kids, I've only dealt with ONE ear infection before on child numero uno. In any case, Gramma is coming to town this week. Hopefully this is a one time deal, but I'll take the reinforcement in any case.

Thank you for the sounding board everyone.

Ugh I hope he settles soon! My boys have both done it to me at various times. Once just a couple weeks ago and we never did figure out what was going on - just inconsolable sobbing for hours. Called the ped at one point and he was not helpful ("well you can go sit for a few hours in the ER if you want, but there's nothing we can do if he doesn't have a fever"). One of mine definitely does it for ear infections (he's only had 2, thankfully) the other sometimes when he's coming down with a cold (sore throat maybe?). I can't wait until they are verbal enough to tell me what is wrong!!!

You definitely shouldn't feel guilty! We're as anti-CIO as it comes but sometimes you have to walk away. And IME you have to do it a lot more often with twins. He'll be fine, and you need to do what you need to do.

Yes. . I SOOO wish he could tell me what's wrong! Poor baby. I didn't feel any teeth, but he did get angrier when I tried to touch his gums.

Sanity first mama.

Sometimes you just need to escape the noise for a bit to regroup. I hope you both get some rest :001_smile:

I agree. Putting baby down for a bit in order to regroup, get a shower, whatever you need to do for *you* is not the same as crying it out. Even Dr. Sears highly recommends putting them down when you *need* to. Hang in there, mama. :grouphug:

Baby is out cold.

My 4 year old came down 15 minutes ago, to tell me he can't sleep because his neck feels funny.

I just rescued my crying 2 year old because her mouth hurts.

They are now watching the Backyardigans. At almost midnight. Could it possibly be allergy related?

I dont know, but it sounds like a really hard day. :grouphug:

Mine is almost 7 months and started teething around 4 months. He has two teeth that have come through now, they took a long while to push through. He started putting his hands in his mouth more and drooling a lot. He also had more mucousy poop which I read is from all the saliva. Not sure if yours is having any of these symptoms but thought I'd mention it. So sorry for both of you!! :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

and now my 9 year old is crying. . .this is just nuts.

Yes a very hard day

Yikes! That's an awful day!

Thank God for Grandma, Backyardigans, wine, chocolate - whatever it takes!

And it is incredibly sweet that cuddling with his twin is what finally settled him down.