Menu

Question for Wiccans

This is the only place I could think of to get an honest answer from a group of ladies who will understand that I'm just seeking information and not trying to pick a fight. I love this board!

Background: My neighbors and I have had a large block party on Halloween night for the past 10/11 years. We have food, candy, jack-o-lanterns, a keg, and big bonfire. It is really just a fun time and the one night of the year where we all get together, have fun, and hang out until the wee hours. We are all either Christians or non-religious.

Current Situation: We now have a Wiccan family that has moved onto the street, right across from where we have the party. She is not very friendly (I think it's just her personality...it has nothing to do with her beliefs) so none of the rest of us on the street have gotten to know her well. We are wondering what kind of reaction we might get from her about our party. We obviously don't want her to think we are making fun of her beliefs. Do we have anything to worry about? Is there something we can do or say to make sure she feels welcome at our Halloween but not Samhaim party?

I hesitate to post this, but I want to "seek first to understand." Thanks.

You've done this for 10 or 11 YEARS? It's on your property and and you are reasonable about noise?

Good grief. I cannot imagine any Wiccan would get mad about a neighbor having a reasonable party on Halloween. After all, people of all different faiths will be out and about and partying all over the US.

I probably wouldn't burn a witch doll in effigy on your front lawn but you don't sound like the kind of person who would do that anyway. ;)

But blessings to you for asking!

I'm not Wiccan but if she has a problem, she's being a git. Anyone even vaguely connected with any kind of paganism should know Halloween and Samhain are two different things. If she doesn't want to participate for whatever reason, she ought to politely bow out just as anti-Halloween Christians or anyone else would do. If she causes a fuss, it's her lack of manners not you.

FYI, Samhain is a day of the dead thing much like the Mexicans do. Remembering one's ancestors and such isn't something anyone needs to be allergic to, or worse, frightened of, but it's not great inspiration for a party in my opinion. ;)

I'd just say "Hi, we're having our annual Halloween party. Will you guys be attending or will you be too busy preparing for Samhain?"

Rosie

I'm Pagan, not Wiccan, but as far as the majority of people are concerned we're practically the same thing ;) and around here we love Halloween. Us Pagan/Wiccan/Witch/etc. types are, for the most part, very open-minded, and not easily offended by stuff like that. There are exceptions in any faith, of course, but as a general rule, you don't have to worry.

I'd just say "Hi, we're having our annual Halloween party. Will you guys be attending or will you be too busy preparing for Samhain?"

Rosie

:iagree:

If you invite her, she will know that no offense was intended (if she would have actually thought to be offended by something like a Halloween party.)

Realistically, even if she is offended for some reason, that's no reason to cancel an annual party. She can stay at home if she doesn't want to attend.