Menu

Dr. Hive - should I take him back to the doc?

My youngest woke with a fever this morning. He also cried when swallowing and pulled on his ear. I took him to urgent care this morning thinking he had an ear infection. (This kid is very prone to ear infections.) The doc at urgent care took a look in his ears and said they were fine. He told me he just had a cold and to keep him hydrated.

My son has been miserable, is drooling, still feverish and will not lay flat. I happened a chance in his mouth and he's got red spots on his soft pallette. Obviously now I am thinking strep. BUT, I don't want to go back to urgent care. I'd like to wait till tomorrow morning to see his regular pedi.

His pain is mostly manageable with ibuprofen. He's still clingy and whiny, but drinks and moves around a bit. Whereas before it was sleeping or screaming.

It can wait till the AM, right? Or should I head back to urgent care?

See your regular doctor in the morning unless he suddenly gets a lot worse or his fever spikes way up. Normally, I would say to take him back, but it sounds like the urgent care doctor didn't have a clue, so unless you can be sure you'll get a different doctor if you go back, it's probably a wasted trip. I would definitely call them back and tell them what's going on, though. You already paid for a visit, so it won't kill them to talk to you again.

Didn't the urgent care doctor check his throat? :confused:

It can wait until morning. Don't know where you are, but strep is going very strong around here.

I was hoping this was the case. I would really rather see his regular doc.

See your regular doctor in the morning unless he suddenly gets a lot worse or his fever spikes way up. Normally, I would say to take him back, but it sounds like the urgent care doctor didn't have a clue, so unless you can be sure you'll get a different doctor if you go back, it's probably a wasted trip. I would definitely call them back and tell them what's going on, though. You already paid for a visit, so it won't kill them to talk to you again.

Didn't the urgent care doctor check his throat? :confused:

I'm keeping him on ibuprofen even though it hurts for him to swallow it because he's obviously a whole lot less miserable on it.

The urgent care doc commented about him being blonde-haired and blue-eyed and they typically have allergies or asthma. Then checked his ears, took a quick peak in his mouth (Hyrum wasn't the most cooperative) and then wrote a prescription for zyrtec. :confused::confused:

I'm not quite sure how he missed the dots and swelling in his mouth. I'm fairly certain they were there when I took him to the doc. My only guess would be because he does not know me, he just assumed I took him in to the doctor for the teeniest inconvenience, which is not the case at all. :glare: I don't just take my kids in for anything. His ear infections have been massive and painful, so I try to be proactive about those.

I'd much rather see his regular pediatrician.