Menu

Occupational Therapy at public school

TracyR

I have heard this can be an option. How does one go about acquiring it?

My youngest(6yrs old) was born with a missing thumb on her right hand , and her left hand has a grade 1 hypoplastic thumb where its missing some tendons.

She keeps complaining that it hurts to cut with scissors so I'm thinking we may need some OT services to strengthen up her hand muscles.

We could try for private but our state has now changed to an HMO plan ( which is already proving disasterous for us ) and might not be worth the battle.

Has anyone gone the public school route for services? Is it worth it?

Fwiw, I believe it may be PT rather than OT that you would be looking for, but if possible, I would probably consult with an orthopedic surgeon to see what they recommend in this case.

In my state, homeschoolers do not get services such as OT or PT from the district. Eta, you would call the special meeds/learning services dept in your district and ask. Here, not only must the student be enrolled, but they must also be performing below grade level academically to get any services other than speech. In addition, FWIW, for OT, fine motor skills must be at a very low percentile according to some tests.

Edited by wapiti

I have heard this can be an option. How does one go about acquiring it?

Has anyone gone the public school route for services? Is it worth it?

In my state you can receive OT services through the school district. What I had to do was to call the school's special education department to schedule a work-up. Once that was done, IF your child qualifies, you can then get services through the school district.

I agree with the PP that said a PT may be more the route to go verses an OT. However, an OT may also be able to help if you can't afford or find a PT.

FWIW, for OT, fine motor skills must be at a very low percentile according to some tests.

Yes, my DD qualifies for private OT through our health insurance but she did not qualify for OT through our school district. I was told it was because her scores were too "scattered" and not low enough across-the-board.