Menu

The sins of the fathers, and sometimes the daughters

Those who mix the meat and gravy with the rice when putting away leftovers, let them be anathema.

Those who leave the milk out and THEN put it away, so that it spoils early OR is not cold when you pour it with dessert, let them be anathema.

Those who cut themselves a piece of cheese, and then walk away, leaving the cheese and knife out, and the cutting board unwiped, let them be anathema.

Not a big fan of squeezing all the juices out of hamburgers by pressing them down during cooking either. And what is up with using the same bloody (in the literal, not the British sense of the word) utensils and plates to prepare raw meat for cooking as to bring it to the table? Uh, no. Anathema, also.

Perhaps I am just a wee bit cranky at the moment.

Here, here!

And let's not forget those who leave an empty roll on the toilet paper spindle. Definitely them!

You can't be too hard on those people. Being able to put a new roll of tp on the holder is a superpower. Very few people are blessed with this phenomenal skill. Really. After doing a casual survey of my friends we discovered that in our families it was only the mom who had this unique and wonderful gift. DD claims to have inherited this gift but I have yet to see proof of this. I suspect that the gift may lay dormant for years. More than likely she won't truly realize this superpower until she is married with children.

You can't be too hard on those people. Being able to put a new roll of tp on the holder is a superpower. Very few people are blessed with this phenomenal skill. Really. After doing a casual survey of my friends we discovered that in our families it was only the mom who had this unique and wonderful gift. DD claims to have inherited this gift but I have yet to see proof of this. I suspect that the gift may lay dormant for years. More than likely she won't truly realize this superpower until she is married with children.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh Carol, you know I love you, but, as a good Cajun gal, I always mix rice and gravy. They just go together, like Sonny and Cher. This is known. I think it is in the Bible somewhere. Thou shalt always mix rice and gravy, for to do not is to anger The Lord. I'm with you on everything else. I will add one more.

Thou shalt squeeze the toothpaste tube from the bottom only. If thou squeezeth the tube from the middle, thou doeth so on penalty of death and dismemberment.

Those who put the paper and plastic and glass in the garbage instead of the recyclables, anathema.

(There is apparently a mom gene that governs knowing what is a recyclable, also.)

Maybe all these mom genes come out only when something traumatic happens. You know, like being bit by radioactive spider or going weeks without a full night of sleep. Just to satisfy mu curiosity please indicate if you have the power to know recyclables, change a roll of tp, or find a missing shoe with your eyes closed. Now let us know if you were ever bit by a radioactive spider or went weeks without a full night of sleep.

How about the dh who refuses to take the extra half a second to stack nesting bowls appropriately? The largest bowl does not belong on top like some sort of special leaning tower of Pyrex.

Maybe all these mom genes come out only when something traumatic happens. You know, like being bit by radioactive spider or going weeks without a full night of sleep. Just to satisfy mu curiosity please indicate if you have the power to know recyclables, change a roll of tp, or find a missing shoe with your eyes closed. Now let us know if you were ever bit by a radioactive spider or went weeks without a full night of sleep.

Eek! I hope that there were no spiders! I can testify to weeks and even months without a full night of sleep. And yes, I can tell exactly where you left your socks, wallet or keys. I have a built in homing device. (Which makes the radioactive spider more likely, doesn't it!)

How about the dh who refuses to take the extra half a second to stack nesting bowls appropriately? The largest bowl does not belong on top like some sort of special leaning tower of Pyrex.

:lol:At least they found their friends. Mine always end up in a random cabinet, not to be found except by accident. It's lovely when my dh helps put away dishes, but it is "fun" :glare: to look for my items as I am cooking.

To miss the laundry hamper while putting away dirty clothes-anathema. For it is written: "Thou shalt put thy dirty clothes INSIDE the laundry hamper. If thou placeth thy clothes near the laundry hamper, God does not count it. Thy dirty clothes goeth INTO the laundry hamper. Thus sayeth The Lord."

Thou shalt not asketh thy Mother for a snack while thy Mother is cooking dinner. Thou doeth so under penalty of death and dismemberment. Thus sayeth The Lord.

:lol:At least they found their friends. Mine always end up in a random cabinet, not to be found except by accident. It's lovely when my dh helps put away dishes, but it is "fun" :glare: to look for my items as I am cooking.

Yes! I will call out, "Where is the pancake turner?" And someone will reply, "Dad put it away." And someone else will go to add "pancake turner" to our shopping list because half of the things he puts away are never to be found again. . .

I know exactly what you are talking about. My favorite is when something obvious is left on the counter after unloading the dishwasher that only I know it's super secret hiding place. Like spoons because appearently it's a complete mystery which of the two drawers in our kitchen store that obscure rarely used antiquated piece of equipment. God forbid anything should happen to me, my poor family would never be able to have soup or cereal again.

To miss the laundry hamper while putting away dirty clothes-anathema. For it is written: "Thou shalt put thy dirty clothes INSIDE the laundry hamper. If thou placeth thy clothes near the laundry hamper, God does not count it. Thy dirty clothes goeth INTO the laundry hamper. Thus sayeth The Lord."

Thou shalt not asketh thy Mother for a snack while thy Mother is cooking dinner. Thou doeth so under penalty of death and dismemberment. Thus sayeth The Lord.

Amen. Preach it sister!

Hear, hear! Anathema to the nth degree.

I can claim knowledge of recyclables and ability to change to rolls. The ability of find shoes with my eyes closed is unknown because I've never bothered to try. I think I have solved the missing shoe dilemma in our house. But I am aware it exists, because while growing up my little brother was an expert in losing shoes. And it was always just one shoe; he was kind enough to leave the other one out so we'd notice it's partner was missing.

Those who leave the homemade fudge brownies out and uncovered so that they become stale and crusty before their mother/wife even gets to taste one- anathema.

:glare:

Quadruple Selah. Those that leave out the brownies that the Mother maketh and alloweth them to go stale before the Mother eateth of the do so under the curse of pain, death, and dismemberment. Thus sayeth The Lord.

Oh my God! I am the only one in my house who can stack! My husband and mother both put them in wildly un-stacked piles that take up three times the space. My mother thinks I am way too fussy about stuff. I grew up having french toast taste like dill from the pan and pancake turner. :ack2: One of the happiest moments in my life was when I discovered that everyone in my husband's family (mother and sisters in law) thinks like me on a number of key issues.

I think the 11th commandment says something about not getting jelly into the peanut butter or peanut butter into the jelly. Use a separate knife for each. Truly mom would rather wash two knives than have to chase jelly from her peanut butter.;)

ETA: The same goes for the mayo jar. Thou must useth two spoons. One to stir ones concoction and the other to add more mayo when needed. So essentially He who contaminates the condiments - anathema.

Edited by Parrothead

Those who cut themselves a piece of cheese, and then walk away, leaving the cheese and knife out, and the cutting board unwiped, let them be anathema.

As are those who cut themselves a piece of cheese and put the cheese back in the fridge unwrapped so that it dries up into a tough inedible piece of leather. Let them also be anathema.

At least yours are aiming for the hamper! Around here they just get dropped on the floor where they are removed. :glare:

Now I don't feel so bad about having to miss church this morning. :lol: I've heard more amens than I would have heard there. ;)

Yes! I will call out, "Where is the pancake turner?" And someone will reply, "Dad put it away." And someone else will go to add "pancake turner" to our shopping list because half of the things he puts away are never to be found again. . .

:lol: These three were just hilarious!

:lol::lol:

Woe be to him who leaveth dirty dishes in a sink full of dirty water so mother needeth place her hand into said dishwater to empty the sink. May his sins be visited on him a thousand fold.

Ugh, yes. And woe be to him who removes the removable gunk catcher from the bottom of the sink because it's too full to let water drain (setting it to the side in the full sink), thus allowing the NON-removable gunk catcher to also become full, forcing the WIFE to have to pick it clean with her hands. He will indeed be cast into the lake of fire when he wakes up in the morning!

I'm pretty sure my father wishes he had gotten a pre-nuptual agreement that forbid my mother from leaving unrinsed bowls of oatmeal in the sink. That stuff is slightly more solid than concrete when it dries.