Menu

How long does it take meringue to whip up?

If its taking more than a few minutes, stop and put the bowl into the refrigerator for a few minutes to get everything nice and cold. If the bowl and the egg whites aren't cold enough, you can stand there with the mixer forever, and you'll never get meringue.

Hmmm...I just made meringue with cream of tartar and the recipe had me leave the egg whites in the bowl for 30 minutes at room temperature before adding the CoT and then whipping. It did take a bit more than 5 minutes with an electric hand mixer.

If there is even a tiny drop of water that snuck in they will never whip.

Really? I always heard that any fat would be a problem, but I've never heard about water. But I've never had a problem with them not whipping anyway.

By the way, I found the coolest video on separating eggs. Here's one version of it. Our Official Birthday Cake calls for whipping the whites and then folding into the rest of the batter, so we've done this several times recently. It's pretty fun.

If its taking more than a few minutes, stop and put the bowl into the refrigerator for a few minutes to get everything nice and cold. If the bowl and the egg whites aren't cold enough, you can stand there with the mixer forever, and you'll never get meringue.

This surprises me. Long (LONG :001_smile:) ago, I was told that the key to good meringue is room-temperature egg whites. In fact, the lady who told me said that she puts the egg whites on top of the stove to get the heat from the preheating oven. I've always followed her advice and have never had a problem with meringue whipping up - and fairly fast - a minute - two minutes . . .

If there is even a tiny drop of water that snuck in they will never whip.

This also surprised me. I have a penchant for rinsing already clean things off before using them (like spatulas, for example, knives, mixing blades, etc.). You know how hard it is to dry the inside areas of the mixer *blades* . . . Since I've just rinsed in hot water, sometimes I simply shake the blades and start mixing - meringue included - it is not unusual for a drop or two of water to slip in. The meringue whips right up!