Menu

s/o Things you were once told were evil...

Joker

The other thread had me remembering things I was told were satanic or evil when I was young. For me, I remember one church (that we left very quickly) said that my love of the Smurfs and Boy George was going to get me in trouble. :tongue_smilie:What about you?

ETA: Maybe we could also add where we grew up/heard this stuff? I heard it all growing up in Texas.

Edited by Horton

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not evil, exactly, but my grandmother was very clear in her opinion that any woman who would eat "on the street" (meaning anywhere other than at home or in a proper, sit-down restaurant) was of loose morals and in no way a lady. I still feel a slight thrill of rebellion if I eat an ice cream cone while walking in the park.

Oh, and heaven help anybody who got Grandma started on the subject of women chewing gum. As far as she was concerned, buying a package of Double Mint was one short step to the brothel.

Cabbage Patch Dolls, Smurfs, rock music, rap music, make-up, trendy clothing, masturbation, bingo, the fact that I can write backwards ("witchcraft"), Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, E.T. ("looks like aborted fetus and is a tool of the pro-choice groups"), etc. ad nauseum. :glare:

Dungeons and dragons.

Seriously, as a kid in school, even public school teachers were warning how EVIL it was. I remember my mom making me watch some news special show they put on about the dangers of it.

I remember guys that played it were the nerds and teased alot over it...

Now, I have a 12 year old begging me to play it with his best friends every friday night.

I guess I need to research it, because my first reachion was to kinda freak out on the inside. Hubby cringed and said that's a nerd game! LOL I need to research... (thoughts?)

A friend of mine in school went to a church that had a crazy list of them. Peace signs on clothing, of course, along with "bunny ears" in photos, working mothers, birth control, and any other forms of women seeming to think they should have rights. Also I was told in no uncertain terms that Democrats were all working for the devil. All of 'em. That one amused me. Those are the first that come to mind, I'm pretty sure there were others.

Oh yes, Halloween, of course, was the devil's holiday, and "Magic the Gathering" was a satanist plot....

Dungeons & Dragons!:lol: I never knew how controversial it was until I was a parent. Dh plays it with dds. We had a friend seriously concerned about it influencing them. It was so weird, but he was affected so much by what he was told as a child that he couldn't let it go.

Oh pretty much everything.

Secular music

Anything but G movies

Shopping or working on Sunday

Dancing

Drinking

Short skirts

Cleavage

Sleeveless dresses

Most TV shows

Not being in church if the doors were open

Not having personal devotions daily, preferably as early as possible to show your true piety.

I did not grow up in an environment with this kind of thinking, but dh's grandmother was full of tips on avoiding evil. Wearing shorts was a big problem ("thou shalt not display what is not for sale"--which is a quote from dh's grandmother, not the Bible) as was the board game Risk (there was a picture of a cannon on the box, which was treated as problematic in a self-explanatory way.)

Cabbage Patch Dolls, Smurfs, rock music, rap music, make-up, trendy clothing, masturbation, bingo, the fact that I can write backwards ("witchcraft"), Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, E.T. ("looks like aborted fetus and is a tool of the pro-choice groups"), etc. ad nauseum. :glare:

Great Scott! No wonder your siggy says ex-Christian.

Who wouldn't be with all that nonsense!:grouphug:

Susan

A friend of mine in school went to a church that had a crazy list of them. Peace signs on clothing, of course, along with "bunny ears" in photos, working mothers, birth control, and any other forms of women seeming to think they should have rights. Also I was told in no uncertain terms that Democrats were all working for the devil. All of 'em. That one amused me. Those are the first that come to mind, I'm pretty sure there were others.

Oh yes, Halloween, of course, was the devil's holiday, and "Magic the Gathering" was a satanist plot....

Why bunny ears???

Devil's horns, you mean...

Okay. I think I misunderstood (although I laughed til I cried). So, they couldn't do that sign with their hands in photos? But they weren't literally banned from wearing bunny ears because they thought it was satanic? I originally pictured actual bunny ears on their heads & someone saying, "Oh no! You're going to have to remove those bunny ears from your head. That's too demonic and resembles the rocker symbol". Now I feel ridiculous for thinking that:001_smile: Oh! but I had a good laugh!!

Susan

I can't believe all the things my family thought was evil growing up.

Funny thing is I was baptized Catholic, then my grandmother (on my mother's side) decided they had their own bible and made it up, and drug my mother to a Christian convention. After that it was pretty much ridiculous.

I remember watching a commercial for Bubble Tape when I was about 13. You knwo that nasty gum in the little container and you unroll it....well the slogan said "Bubble gum tape....for YOU, not THEM." We were at some friends having some sort of group thing bible study thing.....the owners of the house told their kids Satan had got control of the TV station and they were not watching tv anymore, ever. Went on and on about the selfishness of the world. .

And I kid you not I am dead serious. They got rid of their tv. I think somehow from then on I knew these people were certifiable.

See attached. Rock on, Bro

Hook 'em, Horns!!! Oh, sorry.

Not quite of the same sort, but I remember back in elementary school in the mid-seventies, in Berkeley (right before we moved to Austin), we had these Q&A worksheets on pollution, littering, and the environment. There was a list of yes/no questions about things we did that hurt the environment, and I was pleased that I was answering them all "no." Because getting 100 on everything was very important to me.

Then the last question: "Do you drink your milk with a plastic straw?" I was horrified. Of course I did. At the bottom of the page it said that if you answered any of the questions "yes," "YOU ARE PART OF THE POLLUTION PROBLEM."

I never drank my lunch milk with a straw again. To this day I rarely put a straw in my glass. When I do, I feel guilty and transgressive.

Okay. I think I misunderstood (although I laughed til I cried). So, they couldn't do that sign with their hands in photos? But they weren't literally banned from wearing bunny ears because they thought it was satanic? I originally pictured actual bunny ears on their heads & someone saying, "Oh no! You're going to have to remove those bunny ears from your head. That's too demonic and resembles the rocker symbol". Now I feel ridiculous for thinking that:001_smile: Oh! but I had a good laugh!!

Susan

Well they also would not be allowed to wear actual bunny ears on their heads because that would be a costume, which was a sign of the devil. Only biblical costumes allowed.

But I was referring the the finger gesture thing that people used to do in photographs. Apparently you were evil if you did it, or if someone did it to you, even if you didn't know.

Well, I remember being taught in church when I was younger that the Catholic church was evil and that Catholic were certainly all going to hell. I became Catholic as an adult so it apparently did not have too much influence.

I also remember spending about a year in sunday school discussing the evils of rock music and the messages you could supposedly hear if you played the records backwards. I could never hear anything and never did figure out why anyone would be trying the play them backwards except for the purposes of lessons such as those.

Dungeons and dragons.

I guess I need to research it, because my first reachion was to kinda freak out on the inside. Hubby cringed and said that's a nerd game! LOL I need to research... (thoughts?)

He's wrong. It's a GEEK game. :D

If you let your kids read myths and fantasy novels, there's no reasons D&D should be a problem to you. Except that GURPS is better. :tongue_smilie: (Same games, different rule system. Really, you don't care enough to google. I'm just teasing because there are other gamers on here. ;))

I was taught that Ouiji boards were bordering on evil, now I just think they are bad manners. Halloween was pretty close to evil, but now I think it is just a fancy dress party Americans like to do, or as Samhain, it's a perfectly respectable pagan holiday. Satan, of course.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Let me think

-dungeons and dragons

-any kind of magic

-nail polish

-women wearing pants (by the school I went to)

-halloween (I never once was allowed to trick or treat)

-my grandmother thought the music group the eagles were the devils tool and that the song hotel California was leading ppl to the devil. My poor mother had to hide out to listen to it as a teen!

-rock music

-marylin Manson

I'm sure there were others. Lol

He's wrong. It's a GEEK game. :D

If you let your kids read myths and fantasy novels, there's no reasons D&D should be a problem to you. Except that GURPS is better. :tongue_smilie: (Same games, different rule system. Really, you don't care enough to google. I'm just teasing because there are other gamers on here. ;))

I was taught that Ouiji boards were bordering on evil, now I just think they are bad manners. Halloween was pretty close to evil, but now I think it is just a fancy dress party Americans like to do, or as Samhain, it's a perfectly respectable pagan holiday.

Rosie

Oh ouiji boards! I was told as a child that by using one you were allowing the devil to enter your home!

Wait, wait! I was told the bunny ears were evil because they were the symbol of Playboy. I still feel like they're sort of "dirty" because of that. Are you telling me that's not the universal association? :lol:

That's the explanation I was given as to why they were bad also,

the peace sign is evil,

dungeons and dragons,

movie theaters,

smurfs,

the lion king,

Ouiji boards,

my little pony,

any form of magic,

girls with really short hair,

any music that might be considered a little rocky, so DC Talk was a no in our house too,

cleavage, girls with writing on the front of their shirts or writing on their pants,

I know there's a lot I'm missing, but that's all I can remember right now.

Oh, and girls were supposed to serve whatever male they were around and make them feel happy.

All heavy metal aka pop metal music in the 80's. Apparently these guys were putting hidden messages on their records because stoned out of their gourd people are smart enough to do such a thing. :glare:

I honestly never got any messages from that music but Get plastered, go forth and multiply (not exactly but you know what I mean, right), party on! Nothing remotely satanic.

Deep South here. And I eventually became a Christian who still loves her pop metal. Imagine that. :D

Most everything was considered evil in our house/church...but the most traumatic memory to me was when I was probably 8 or so. I loved the "Care Bears". My parents didn't have enough money to get the actual bears, but my mom found some that you could cut out of fabric and sew up. My mom did not usually do things like this, so it was a big deal! She made me the whole set. Then the person who wrote the book "Turmoil in the Toybox" came to speak at our church. He targeted the evil Smurfs, Rainbow Brite (another favorite) and of course, the Care Bears. My mom took the Care Bears and burned them. It was heartbreaking. I still miss those bears!

Oooh, Madonna! I remember my gma once caught me singing along to "Like a Prayer", and I received a lecture. It terrified me and to this day I cannot listen to that song.

:lol: I'll never forget my mom walking in and seeing Madonna's "Like A Virgin" video on MTV. Her only comment was, "Who does she think she's fooling?" :lol: