Menu

Would it bother you if...

After the fact, your 10 year old daughter told you her young, female soccer coach had videotaped all of the girls doing flips and cartwheels for "her college stuff."

I'm trying to decide if I should say something to the coach about it not being appropriate, to get permission next time, etc. I also want her to know she doesn't have permission to use my dd's footage for anything. I feel like it's totally innocent, but it's still a big deal on principle. I talked with my dd about never allowing anyone to videotape her without my permission.

What would you say or ask without sounding too snarky or blowing it out of proportion?

I would ask her about it, and tell her that she doesn't have your permission to use the footage she shot of your dd, and that you want it deleted immediately.

Just say you had a personal security issue once, and it made you paranoid, so it doesn't sound like you think she has any sort of evil intentions. We had a similar situation, where an acquaintance put photos of our ds on her website. She clearly thought we were out of our mind for not wanting his pictures there, but she complied with our wishes and was very nice about it.

This is me, too, which is why it is bothering me.

I totally get that it was innocent though. I just don't want it to happen again, you know?

The only way you can be sure it doesn't happen again is to talk to her about it. You don't need to be confrontational; you can just tell her that your dd mentioned that the coach had videotaped her, and you wanted to let her know that you don't allow anyone to take your dd's photos or any kind of videos without your permission.

After the fact, your 10 year old daughter told you her young, female soccer coach had videotaped all of the girls doing flips and cartwheels for "her college stuff."

I'm trying to decide if I should say something to the coach about it not being appropriate, to get permission next time, etc. I also want her to know she doesn't have permission to use my dd's footage for anything. I feel like it's totally innocent, but it's still a big deal on principle. I talked with my dd about never allowing anyone to videotape her without my permission.

What would you say or ask without sounding too snarky or blowing it out of proportion?

She absolutely needs a release form. But you may have signed it, so some language that covers this, when you signed her up for soccer. Dance was like that.

I would talk with the coach to find out what the "college stuff" is, and how she's planning on using the video. If it's actually for a college course, I would expect there to be a more formal release form. It doesn't have to be a confrontation, just an information gathering discussion.

You can always play dumb and ask her if there was a release form you were supposed to sign for her, since she took that video footage of your dd. If she says no or seems confused, you can explain that with all the security issues related to children these days, you just assumed that she would need some kind of release form signed, and then mention casually that perhaps it would be a good idea for her to draft one, outlining the purpose of the footage and what would happen to it after the project was over. "You just never know, these days...some parents are so quick to sue if their child's image gets used without their permission. I would hate for you to get in trouble.";)

You can always play dumb and ask her if there was a release form you were supposed to sign for her, since she took that video footage of your dd. If she says no or seems confused, you can explain that with all the security issues related to children these days, you just assumed that she would need some kind of release form signed, and then mention casually that perhaps it would be a good idea for her to draft one, outlining the purpose of the footage and what would happen to it after the project was over. "You just never know, these days...some parents are so quick to sue if their child's image gets used without their permission. I would hate for you to get in trouble.";)

Very clever! :thumbup:

I'm guessing you never signed a photo release? I don't like photos of my kids floating around on the internet either. Video is a bit weirder ... what "college stuff"? Could she have said video collage? Not that that makes it much better. You should ask her if has other footage of your child and ask her to delete it all if that's what you want.