Menu

Major grammar woes....maybe I need a slap. (And a Q about Voyages in English)

BatmansWife

I'm just tossing around ideas for next year (or possibly next semester). Over the years I have tried Shurley (it was ok...but too time consuming), Easy Grammar (not crazy about it), I actually hated FLL, PLL, Simply Grammar, one level of Queen's Language Lessons that I tried. I've looked at MCT many, many times but I just can't bring myself to try it (it just doesn't seem my style at.all). I'm not going to print KISS. I got LLATL this year and dd hates it. :sad: So, now we are back to GWG (which we started last year but never finished). It's ok. She at least likes it. At this point, I don't think she'd dare complain about it since it meant she's getting out of LLATL.

I know I sound like some crazy woman. Why don't I like anything??? What else is there to try??? I just feel that this is my last child and I have to finally get this right. :willy_nilly:

I just read a thread where ViE was mentioned. I like the looks it (2011 version). Is it secular?? I thought I read something about it being Catholic. Our school won't buy it if it's not secular. If it isn't....then I guess we'll stick with GWG. Or...someone could just slap me now and tell me GWG is just fine and dandy.

I'm just tossing around ideas for next year (or possibly next semester). Over the years I have tried Shurley (it was ok...but too time consuming), Easy Grammar (not crazy about it), I actually hated FLL, PLL, Simply Grammar, one level of Queen's Language Lessons that I tried. I've looked at MCT many, many times but I just can't bring myself to try it (it just doesn't seem my style at.all). I'm not going to print KISS. I got LLATL this year and dd hates it. :sad: So, now we are back to GWG (which we started last year but never finished). It's ok. She at least likes it. At this point, I don't think she'd dare complain about it since it meant she's getting out of LLATL.

I know I sound like some crazy woman. Why don't I like anything??? What else is there to try??? I just feel that this is my last child and I have to finally get this right. :willy_nilly:

I just read a thread where ViE was mentioned. I like the looks it (2011 version). Is it secular?? I thought I read something about it being Catholic. Our school won't buy it if it's not secular. If it isn't....then I guess we'll stick with GWG. Or...someone could just slap me now and tell me GWG is just fine and dandy.

VIE 2011 is great! The publisher is Catholic but the curriculum is strictly secular.

I know what you mean about not liking grammar curricula. I've taken this year to design my own program with ebooks I bought during Scholastic's Dollar Days sales. Ds and I are having a lot of fun with some of them because they are rather funny.

I really want to nail something down before next year because I don't want to design a grammar program every year. GWG was the front runner of choices for this year, so I'm assuming it will be again for next year. May I ask why you aren't sure you should continue GWG?

I know what you mean about not liking grammar curricula. I've taken this year to design my own program with ebooks I bought during Scholastic's Dollar Days sales. Ds and I are having a lot of fun with some of them because they are rather funny.

I really want to nail something down before next year because I don't want to design a grammar program every year. GWG was the front runner of choices for this year, so I'm assuming it will be again for next year. May I ask why you aren't sure you should continue GWG?

Only because I looked at ViE. Really. I know, I'm nuts! I should stay off the boards....I'd probably be happier. :lol:

And, the only reason we stopped last year was because we got it really late in the school year (because we started with FLL and I couldn't take it anymore, :banghead: so I ordered GWG). This year came around and I thought LLATL looked interesting. Shoulda just stuck with GWG. But, now I don't know.....ViE looks so pretty. We should have a smilie with eyes spinning around in a circle and being mesmerized.

Thanks for letting me know it's secular. You must be using it? If so, you can tell more about it? :001_smile:

Sure! But you'd probably be better able to get a feel for it from the samples. They are very generous with their sample pages. The diagramming is separated from the actual lessons. I've used the older edition and while it was okay and got the job done, the kids and I both prefer the layout and exercises of the 2011 edition. I think the challenge level has gone up considerably too.

Here are the samples: http://www.loyolapress.com/voyages-in-english-2011-grammar-and-writing-view-samples.htm

Scroll down and click on the book you want to look at for the grade level you are interested in. Ignore the "Order Samples" button.

For the younger grades, I find I can teach right out of the workbook. I don't even bother buying the hardcover text, so that saves me a bundle. I'm doing grade 7 for my 11yo and 13yo together. I found I needed the text for that, because it's pretty advanced! I read through the text and examples with them (only one text for both kids) and then we do the exercises aloud. I assign the workbook pages (each has her own workbook) and we check our answers with the answer guide. I like Loyola press because they don't make you jump through any hoops to buy answer guides or teacher's editions (although I'm doing fine teaching out of the text book for the most part).

Sure! But you'd probably be better able to get a feel for it from the samples. They are very generous with their sample pages. The diagramming is separated from the actual lessons. I've used the older edition and while it was okay and got the job done, the kids and I both prefer the layout and exercises of the 2011 edition. I think the challenge level has gone up considerably too.

Here are the samples: http://www.loyolapress.com/voyages-in-english-2011-grammar-and-writing-view-samples.htm

Scroll down and click on the book you want to look at for the grade level you are interested in. Ignore the "Order Samples" button.

For the younger grades, I find I can teach right out of the workbook. I don't even bother buying the hardcover text, so that saves me a bundle. I'm doing grade 7 for my 11yo and 13yo together. I found I needed the text for that, because it's pretty advanced! I read through the text and examples with them (only one text for both kids) and then we do the exercises aloud. I assign the workbook pages (each has her own workbook) and we check our answers with the answer guide. I like Loyola press because they don't make you jump through any hoops to buy answer guides or teacher's editions (although I'm doing fine teaching out of the text book for the most part).

Thank you Barb! I'll check out those samples.

For grade 7, it shows a Student Edition, Teacher Edition, Practice Book, and Assessment Book. Is what you're using a Practice Book for each child and then the Teacher Edition text for yourself? Thanks!

For grade 7, it shows a Student Edition, Teacher Edition, Practice Book, and Assessment Book. Is what you're using a Practice Book for each child and then the Teacher Edition text for yourself? Thanks!

I use the student edition to teach from and the two practice books for the girls. I didn't find the teacher's edition necessary since it isn't scripted. Teachers texts intended for the classroom are usually a glorified answer key and classroom planning tool. I didn't need the answer key since we did the exercises aloud together--I didn't have a problem figuring out the correct answer as we went along. I did buy the answer key for the practice book just to make sure we all knew what we were talking about. For my son, I just bought the practice book and work through it with him. 3rd grade Grammar isn't too challenging.

How does Exercises in English fit into VIE? Have you used their Vocabulary in Action books?

To the OP: while the books themselves are secular, the publisher is not. You might check with your charter to be sure they don't have a problem with that. Maybe Rainbow resource carries this?

Exercises in English is a sort of standalone grammar that we've used in the past. I wouldn't bother to use it as the practice books for VIE are better than the old Exercises in English. Their Vocabulary in Action is pretty good. I use something I like even better, but it's no longer available. I'm still books I've had since 1998. I prefer Vocabulary in Action to Vocabulary from Classical Roots or the other similar one. It's open and go. I don't believe it's worth it to do Vocabulary with kids until the middle grades or early high school. They will learn all the vocabulary they need from their reading and from daily speech.

Wow, VIE is very pricey! If you use it, what components do you purchase?

Yeah, it's kind of pricey but I think it's worth it. And I usually try to avoid dumping money on shiny curriculum. In a few years you should be able to find the texts on the used market, but that doesn't help a lot now. Fes.follet.com should save you a few dollars.

I used Rod and Staff with my oldest three and all but one hated it. But it was straight forward, easy to schedule, and easy to teach so I went with it. I just got so sick of it and couldn't face poor Fanny and her blindness or Dorcas and her honey for one more year.

Why did you have to put a link? Now I am rethinking my plans. It looks much better than GWG.

I have used GWG levels 3-6 and level 1. My older 2 are now using K12 Eng and looking at the grammar like they have never seen it before when it should be all review. Grr!!!

How does Exercises in English fit into VIE? Have you used their Vocabulary in Action books?

To the OP: while the books themselves are secular, the publisher is not. You might check with your charter to be sure they don't have a problem with that. Maybe Rainbow resource carries this?

I haven't even looked at the samples yet (dh on the computer all night). But, I have a feeling I'm going to think the same when comparing it to GWG.

Yes, RR has them. I have a feeling our school (local school district) might not even know about the publisher. They bought us LLATL and that has Bible stuff in it that they probably had no idea about.