Menu

I'm ready to shop for Christmas

but I don't know what to buy! My kids were easy to buy for when they were little, but it's become impossible since they became teens. I usually operate off a list but none of them have any clue what they want. Well, dd14 knows she wants clothes but there is no way I can pick out clothes for her. When we shop together, I don't have a good track record for making suggestions. I'm going to hate it if all my kids want are gift cards. What a boring Christmas that would be!!

When we were older, harder to buy for teens my mom told us, "Make a list of actual stuff or go without." She allowed for 2 gift cards if we wanted clothes, but beyond that it was on us to provide her with a list.

Other things we got: movie tickets, a nice camera, cds(yeah, that's probably harder now), board games, dvd player for our rooms, computer software, game boys and video games, clothes(my mom would take my brother shopping to pick things out and then wrap them up for Christmas morning), a family gift one year was a pool table, I got a nice set of pots and pans one year, but I loved to cook, books, my brother got a unicycle one year...

For our senior year of high school were given a nice, sturdy backpack(they were assuming college for both of us and one of us followed through, but 8 years later I went back and it came in handy) and a suitcase/duffel bag for travel.

I often got make up from the Clinique counter and all kinds of stuff from Bath and Bodyworks.

Edited by MrsBasil

:grouphug: I'm right there with you sister. I'm dreading Christmas shopping. Last year was really hard, too, and it doesn't help that half of my kids AND my dh have autumn birthdays.

So, I'm giving your post a commiserating bump.

Does this mean I should post a list? :D

What are their hobbies?

Jewelry - Doesn't have to be designer, just fashionable type? Scarves are definitely in. Clothes can be hard but if you know their approximate style something like a cute winter vest or fun leggings might work. Everyone seems to like those Ugg type boots (though I buy the knock off type). I still dress like a teen LOL.....anyone could go in to American Eagle Outfitters and buy me anything in my size and I'd love it.

Books - Do they like cooking or crafting? I have a library of crafting/sewing/quilting books. I just like to look at them for inspiration. Maybe cookbooks if they like that.

Music? Do they have an ipod or something? If not ipods are affordable or an itunes card.

You can't go wrong getting scented candles or lotions/soaps from Bath and body works or some place like that. If they have any skin care type stuff you can replenish as a gift.

Lip gloss or whatever make up they might wear.

Hair products if you know what kind

Cute socks, or warm wool ones for winter

A fashionable hand bag or tote bag for books

We do a lot of practical things here. My sister is very difficult to shop for. She is very modern and trendy and I don't know what that means. Last year I wrapped a picture of a bunch of little sweater icons in a shoe box (so it wasn't an obvious gift card) with a note that I'd take her for a STarbucks and pick out a sweater (she likes sweaters).

I was an odd teen. I asked for a juicer once going through my vegan thing. One year I went through a very non girly thing and asked for a new fishing pole and new sh*t kickers. Well the last one stuck though.

By my teens I usually wanted things having to do with a hobby or interest.

I don't know if this would work for you, but...

A dear friend's husband (and kids, too--all 7 of them) just couldn't pick out clothes for her for Christmas, but that's what she really wanted.

So every year, they go to the thrift store and put together a couple of truly hideous outfits. They wrap them up all pretty (dfriend knows they are going to do this) and she opens them--it's hilarious! She models for them amid all the good-natured laughter. In the pocket of one of the items, he puts a gift card for her favorite store. She returns all the thrift stuff (because who knows, someone may love it--one man's trash and all that) and then shops for herself. Of course, she has to model the good stuff, too...:D I've always thought that sounded so sweet and funny.

:grouphug::grouphug:

I'm right there with you. I have a 10 year old tween that I'm finding impossible to think of gifts for.

She marches to her own beat. She's not a girly girl, so doesn't do clothes, make-up, etc. She is creative, but we have tons of art and craft supplies around here already. She has NEVER really played with toys. Ever. My family always asks for gift ideas for her because she is just so hard to read, so anytime I do get an idea, I have to pass it along so Grandma, Grandpa and Aunties get to buy "the good stuff". LOL This year I've got nada for ideas - for them or for myself. :)

One big hurdle I have is getting over *myself*. I am trying to simplify and minimize. Bringing more stuff IN goes against every fiber of my being at the moment - especially if it's not going to be used or loved. And with her....you just never can tell. She wants a 3DS to replace her broken DS. I'm not sure how her DS even got broken, because she RARELY ever played with it, so I'm hesitant to replace it. If and when she wants to play a DS game, she borrows one of her brother's (very rare).

She's outside helping her Dad fix the car right now - much like I was at her age. I think I'm going to try a small snap circuits set for her to see if she enjoys that.

DS6 is easy. DH is impossible.

I don't know if this would work for you, but...

A dear friend's husband (and kids, too--all 7 of them) just couldn't pick out clothes for her for Christmas, but that's what she really wanted.

So every year, they go to the thrift store and put together a couple of truly hideous outfits. They wrap them up all pretty (dfriend knows they are going to do this) and she opens them--it's hilarious! She models for them amid all the good-natured laughter. In the pocket of one of the items, he puts a gift card for her favorite store. She returns all the thrift stuff (because who knows, someone may love it--one man's trash and all that) and then shops for herself. Of course, she has to model the good stuff, too...:D I've always thought that sounded so sweet and funny.

That would be SO much fun at a family party.

I'm right there with you. I have a 10 year old tween that I'm finding impossible to think of gifts for.

She's outside helping her Dad fix the car right now - much like I was at her age. I think I'm going to try a small snap circuits set for her to see if she enjoys that.

Would she like her own tool set? I bought my DD10 her own tools last year — in pink! (Besides the fact that she loves pink, it also keeps her dad from "borrowing" her tools and losing them. :D) She loves having her own tool set, and uses it often to fix her bike, assemble shelves for her room, etc. She also really enjoys her Snap Circuits set. This year she's getting some nice knitting needles & yarn from KnitPiks, and some cooking equipment.

Jackie

*One way to shop for clothes together is to go and have your teen put a bunch of things on hold. You then return and purchase your choices. It's easy and works pretty well for any store that allows holds.

*It also works on-line, you have them fill up the cart and then go back and shop at your convenience.

but I don't know what to buy! My kids were easy to buy for when they were little, but it's become impossible since they became teens. I usually operate off a list but none of them have any clue what they want. Well, dd14 knows she wants clothes but there is no way I can pick out clothes for her. When we shop together, I don't have a good track record for making suggestions. I'm going to hate it if all my kids want are gift cards. What a boring Christmas that would be!!

I have 6 daughters (4 teens), so I can only speak for the girls.

Your 14yo dd might like this:

Window Art

It's my go-to present for 11-15yo's. You lay a protective film over the outlines in the book, trace the outline with the included black paint, then fill in with the colors. Let it dry and you have a cool cling for your window. My 17yo made a bunch of them free hand so she'd have cool anime characters for her dorm windows. There are 2-3 other books and refill paints available. Even if they aren't crafty, even if they are but have tons of supplies, this is something I've had luck giving every teen girl we've ever given it to. Including birthday parties.

I've also had good luck with:

Decent silver jewelry from Silver Insanity

Really good chocolate or cookies from Europe (you can buy Hob Nobs and English Cadbury by the case on Amazon). Yes, I wrap food. They love it.

Converse Chuck Taylors.

Right now, skinny jeans in bright colors are HUGE. I just bought my 16yo three pairs from Old Navy for $19 a piece for her birthday.

Room decor. Throw pillows, mirrors, a saucer chair, decent hamper, wall clings, string lanterns

Stuff for hair. Nice hair dryer, flat iron, styling spray, clips, hair scissors for trims, high quality brushes. TJ Maxx is a great place for this.

Oil of Olay face brush. Even my 7yo son is hooked on this because he likes how it makes his skin feel.

I'm going to do a UV Lamp and gel polish this year so my college student can give herself gel manicures at home. She can afford the salon anymore :)

Think ahead to what your older dd will need for college. Check out the what to pack lists for ideas. There will probably be things you can buy now that they'll use between now and then.

When I've done clothes, it's stuff I know the child will like and it will fit. I usually stick to tops, belts, socks, or scarves. Specialty T-shirts are nice too. Doctor Who is popular here. :D

Other ideas include: luggage, tools (a mutli-tool from Leatherman is nice), personal appliances (like hair dryer, flat iron, curling iron, etc..), new headphones/earbuds, boardgames

We've also done a big Christmas for each of the girls (the boys aren't old enough yet). When we knew they feet were done growing they got ski boots and skis.

Next year my dd will get a laptop, but those gifts are pricey.

As they get older I try to think of things they will need as they leave the nest.

HTH

I have 6 daughters (4 teens), so I can only speak for the girls.

Your 14yo dd might like this:

Window Art

It's my go-to present for 11-15yo's. You lay a protective film over the outlines in the book, trace the outline with the included black paint, then fill in with the colors. Let it dry and you have a cool cling for your window. My 17yo made a bunch of them free hand so she'd have cool anime characters for her dorm windows. There are 2-3 other books and refill paints available. Even if they aren't crafty, even if they are but have tons of supplies, this is something I've had luck giving every teen girl we've ever given it to. Including birthday parties.

I've also had good luck with:

Decent silver jewelry from Silver Insanity

Really good chocolate or cookies from Europe (you can buy Hob Nobs and English Cadbury by the case on Amazon). Yes, I wrap food. They love it.

Converse Chuck Taylors.

Right now, skinny jeans in bright colors are HUGE. I just bought my 16yo three pairs from Old Navy for $19 a piece for her birthday.

Room decor. Throw pillows, mirrors, a saucer chair, decent hamper, wall clings, string lanterns

Stuff for hair. Nice hair dryer, flat iron, styling spray, clips, hair scissors for trims, high quality brushes. TJ Maxx is a great place for this.

Oil of Olay face brush. Even my 7yo son is hooked on this because he likes how it makes his skin feel.

I'm going to do a UV Lamp and gel polish this year so my college student can give herself gel manicures at home. She can afford the salon anymore :)

Think ahead to what your older dd will need for college. Check out the what to pack lists for ideas. There will probably be things you can buy now that they'll use between now and then.

Woot, I think my to-buy list is DONE! Thanks so much. Can I put you on speed dial for birthdays next year?

Oh I hear you. I still have one whose fun to buy for and I tend to over do it. My oldest gets gift card to starbucks and ihop, some of his favorite candy, I pay for his phone for the month and an axe set. Boring huh?

My middle son is a little there this year.

Baby boy is 12 this year and just wants a laptop.

I use to enjoy shopping for my boys. They had some of the coolest toys. It makes me sad that there are no more little boys to buy actions figures, rescue hero's, hotwheels, matchbox or legos for. I usually purchase several things for toys for tots during the holiday season.

I know what you mean.

I can buy fantastic clothes for my kids but my daughter no longer wants them. They are somehow not cool if Mom bought them, even if they fit perfectly and are something she would buy on her own! Arrgh.

And of course son wants a MAC and a brand new IPOD Touch. The days of satisfying them with inexpensive toys are over! (Not happening, by the way, unless I score some deal...I don't spend hundreds and thousands on gifts).

Would she like her own tool set? I bought my DD10 her own tools last year — in pink! (Besides the fact that she loves pink, it also keeps her dad from "borrowing" her tools and losing them. :D) She loves having her own tool set, and uses it often to fix her bike, assemble shelves for her room, etc. She also really enjoys her Snap Circuits set. This year she's getting some nice knitting needles & yarn from KnitPiks, and some cooking equipment.

Jackie

I think it's less about the tools and more about time spent with her Dad. :D Although.... Hmmmm, she DOES spend a lot of time "building" cat houses out of cardboard and packing tape. If I get her tools (Ack - MORE tools? You should SEE *MY* tool collection :D - On my wish list is one of those huge {read $$$$} rolling tool boxes for the garage to organize all of my tools and I might let DH use a drawer, too :lol:) I'd also have to get her some carpet remnants to build one of those cat tree thingies, maybe. I might have to give this tool idea some more thought and try to source some cheap or free carpet remnants. Thanks for the idea. I have some scrap wood kicking around here. I could draw up some plans, pre-cut all the wood and give her a "kit" to build for her kitties. I think I love it!

Edited by fraidycat

I'm making a list with many of these suggestions. I wouldn't mind having a bunch of little surprises this year. Some years we do 3 presents but since the kids don't need anything big, I don't think that will work as well this year. They have video game systems and ipods. They will love itunes cards. Dd20 will like restaurant gift cards like Subway and Chick-fil-A. Ds16 has always gotten some type of Lego kit but his room simply cannot hold another set and he doesn't want to take any of them down. Finding stuff for him will be hard. There aren't even any video games he wants this year because has a backlog of games that he owns but hasn't yet played.

I'm just ready for the season though. Last year was only so-so but my attitude is jolly this year. I'm looking forward to decorating. :)

Jackie

Somewhere ebtween 10 and 12, I got a tool kit for my birthday. My dad got me the good stuff, like he used, and wrapped the handles with green tape (green was and still is my favorite color) so we'd know which was mine. It got used a LOT until I moved and it got lost in the move (when I was 21)

A bit later, when I bought my first house, I got another tool kit for Christmas... I loved that too!

One of the items I've bought my dd for each xmas and birthday in the last couple of years is a piece of nice jewelry. Her favorite is blue topaz. So, she's gotten a ring, earrings, a necklace and a pendant.

Even though she doesn't care for pearls, that's what she's getting for xmas this year. A couple of weeks ago, there was a great sale at Kohls. 60% off and then an additional 10% off the morning I went in. And, I had a 30% off coupon. I got an awesome deal on a single pearl pendant and earring set (Originally $225, down to $100 and then down to $70 with tax). Not sure what else she's getting, but that's a start.