Menu

Enlighten me - hand gesture

We had a first playdate with another family yesterday and the mother was asking her 3yo what 1+1+1 was. While she asked, she lifted her index finger on her left hand, her index finger on her right hand and then her pinky on her right hand, holding her middle and ring finger down with her thumb. :001_huh:

I only thought it was so odd because she did it several times out of the blue. I didn't know what to say - it made me feel awkward. I told my husband and he said back in the 80's there was a rock band that used the gesture to say they were satanists.

A few years ago another mother kept telling her 9yo dd to show my son her "bunny", which was the same hand gesture (index and pinky up, thumb holding middle and ring fingers down.) We thought it was odd then too because it was out of the blue. The mother was a self proclaimed pagan and wore a pentagram.

So, some one please enlighten me. Is that weird? What does the hand gesture mean?

TIA.

I was a teen in the '80s but don't recall any bands with those hand gestures.

I think it is a case of preference. I'm not committed to any one way. :tongue_smilie: I have been known to show three fingers three different ways - thumb and two fingers, middle three fingers or three from pinky inward. I also tend to point with my middle finger, which drives DH crazy. :lol: I don't mean anything by any of it.

That second one, especially, sounds like it might have been a reminder to stay quiet. Lots of schools/daycares/other groups use a similar hand signal (I've heard it called the "quiet coyote" and the "silent serval") to remind a bunch of kids to settle down. I'm wondering if some families have adapted it to be a gentle, discreet signal that a kid is getting too loud.

ETA: Then again, why would the mom have her kid show it to another kid? I've got nothin'.

I don't think that is too odd of a way to show the number 2. In baseball, they use it to signal "2 outs" because it's easier to see from a distance. For the mother and the little boy, she might have just wanted to make it easier for him to count them?

I don't think it's a weird gesture.

Guest submarines
I thought the thumb was sticking out for "I love you" ...

We sign it with the thumb out. My kids sign "I love you" to each other all the time, and I do it all the time too. It is a quick and quiet affirmation of connection. :D

It is "I love you" in sign language - a perfectly wonderful thing for a mother to teach her child.

I think you are reading *way* too much into this. Very, very few people actually worship Satan, even if they look a little scary. Most moms are just moms. If someone uses a symbol you don't recognize, ask *them* what they mean by it. All kinds of symbols have different meanings when used by different people in different contexts. Don't assume - ask.

The ASL sign for "I" is the pinky. The sign for "L" is the index finger & thumb. The sign for "Y" is the index and pinky finger (same as the Texas Loghorns). Thus ILY all mushed together is the index finger, pinky finger, and thumb. It's common for often-used phrases in ASL to become shorthand mushed-together signs.

[ETA: Oops! thumb and pinky for "Y", index and pinky for Texas. - That's what I get for posting while sewing! Thanks Chris in Va for correcting me!]

Edited by askPauline

I believe sign language for I love you is the forefinger, the pinky, and the thumb. Just the forefinger and the pinky was always kind of a "rock and roll" sign. Both hands in the air, "rock and roll" sign, heads banging. *sigh* I loved the 80s. :D I remember people claiming it was Satanic back then, but then again, they thought everything rock and roll/ heavy metal was Satanic.

I don't think that is too odd of a way to show the number 2. In baseball, they use it to signal "2 outs" because it's easier to see from a distance. For the mother and the little boy, she might have just wanted to make it easier for him to count them?

I don't think it's a weird gesture.

This.

I agree with others that it's probably some variation on the "I love you" sign or possibly some other finger play sign from a song or something. My kids went through a phase, though at a slightly older age, where they enjoyed making odd imaginary gestures with their fingers and twisting fingers together and so forth, sort of as a sensory thing. So I don't find it odd that the child repeated it at all, any more than I would have found it weird to hear a 3 yo keep singing the same tune over and over or repeating a phrase she just heard or acting out something she just saw.

It is "I love you" in sign language - a perfectly wonderful thing for a mother to teach her child.

:iagree: My mother in law uses this with her kids and it is I love you in sign language. She did it with my husband from the time he was little. It was never related to math though..........:lol: That part sounds so strange! If I kept randomly asking my 3 year old silly math questions she'd probably throw something in my direction. How annoying!!!

I think you are reading *way* too much into this. Very, very few people actually worship Satan, even if they look a little scary. Most moms are just moms. If someone uses a symbol you don't recognize, ask *them* what they mean by it. All kinds of symbols have different meanings when used by different people in different contexts. Don't assume - ask.

:iagree:

I think this is classic case of seeing hoofprints and looking for a zebra. Unless the hand gesture was accompanied by the statemend, "We are practicing Satanists in our family," that would be the last thing on my mind. I'd let the pagan lady off the hook too. The bunny hand symbol very likely meant bunny.

We had a first playdate with another family yesterday and the mother was asking her 3yo what 1+1+1 was. While she asked, she lifted her index finger on her left hand, her index finger on her right hand and then her pinky on her right hand, holding her middle and ring finger down with her thumb. :001_huh:

I only thought it was so odd because she did it several times out of the blue. I didn't know what to say - it made me feel awkward. I told my husband and he said back in the 80's there was a rock band that used the gesture to say they were satanists.

A few years ago another mother kept telling her 9yo dd to show my son her "bunny", which was the same hand gesture (index and pinky up, thumb holding middle and ring fingers down.) We thought it was odd then too because it was out of the blue. The mother was a self proclaimed pagan and wore a pentagram.

So, some one please enlighten me. Is that weird? What does the hand gesture mean?

TIA.

My first thought was that she was holding up 3 fingers for the 3 year old to count. What is 1 (holds up left index finger) + 1 (holds up right index finger) + 1 (holds up pinky). The answer would be there for the 3 year old to count. Maybe she was giving hints to the child without it being obvious to you by just holding up the usual 3 fingers.

Unless the hand gesture was accompanied by the statemend, "We are practicing Satanists in our family," that would be the last thing on my mind. I'd let the pagan lady off the hook too. The bunny hand symbol very likely meant bunny.

And the chances are low since pagans don't usually believe in Satan. ;)

Rosie

The ASL sign for "I" is the pinky. The sign for "L" is the index finger & thumb. The sign for "Y" is the index and pinky finger (same as the Texas Loghorns). Thus ILY all mushed together is the index finger, pinky finger, and thumb. It's common for often-used phrases in ASL to become shorthand mushed-together signs.

:iagree:

Turning an innocent sounding comment from a mom to her child into something possibly satanic seems a bit much. And why are you asking US what SHE meant? I would've just asked her in the moment if it made you so uncomfortable.

I think this is classic case of seeing hoofprints and looking for a zebra. Unless the hand gesture was accompanied by the statemend, "We are practicing Satanists in our family," that would be the last thing on my mind. I'd let the pagan lady off the hook too. The bunny hand symbol very likely meant bunny.

Or seeing hoof prints and looking for a Texas Longhorn!

9231.jpg

Sounds a lot like the Hook 'Em Horns sign for the University of Texas Longhorns.

Yes. Higly offensive and totally inappropriate in all circumstances. PARTICULARLY around children!

Or seeing hoof prints and looking for a Texas Longhorn!

9231.jpg

*shudder*

Signed,

"aggie" amy

:001_smile:

My first thought was that she was holding up 3 fingers for the 3 year old to count. What is 1 (holds up left index finger) + 1 (holds up right index finger) + 1 (holds up pinky). The answer would be there for the 3 year old to count. Maybe she was giving hints to the child without it being obvious to you by just holding up the usual 3 fingers.

These are my thoughts.

(actually Y is the thumb and pinky...:001_smile:)

Yes. Higly offensive and totally inappropriate in all circumstances. PARTICULARLY around children!

*shudder*

Signed,

"aggie" amy

:001_smile:

I agree. She's either a longhorn or a satanist. Either way, I'd unfriend her as rapidly as possible.

Of course, I wouldn't recommend friendship with the above poster either!

My kids were told by the evangelical Christian neighbors that this sign was a sign of Satan. My kids knew nothing about the sign and don't spend a lot of time thinking about devil worshippers. They were a bit...bemused, as they were after the lecture from some neighborhood girls (not from the previously mentioned family) that 'asphalt' contains a bad word and they should just say 'phalt.'

I wouldn't worry too much about it one way or the other. If they are proud satanists, you will probably find out through more obvious references soon.

I told my husband and he said back in the 80's there was a rock band that used the gesture to say they were satanists.

Ozzy Obsurne used to make a peace sign. One of his bandmates decided he wanted something different to make a statement.

Metal-Rules.com – "I want to ask you about something people have asked you about before but will no doubt continue to talk about, and that is the sign created by raising your index and little finger. Some call it the "evil eye." I would like to know if you were the first one to introduce this to the metal world and what this symbol represents to you?"

R.J. Dio – "I doubt very much if I would be the first one who ever did that. That's like saying I invented the wheel, I'm sure someone did that at some other point. I think you'd have to say that I made it fashionable. I used it so much and all the time and it had become my trademark until the Britney Spears audience decided to do it as well. So it kind of lost its meaning with that. But it was...I was in Sabbath at the time. It was symbol that I thought was reflective of what that band was supposed to be all about. It's NOT the devil's sign like we're here with the devil. It's an Italian thing I got from my Grandmother called the "Malocchio". It's to ward off the Evil Eye or to give the Evil Eye, depending on which way you do it. It's just a symbol but it had magical incantations and attitudes to it and I felt it worked very well with Sabbath. So I became very noted for it and then everybody else started to pick up on it and away it went. But I would never say I take credit for being the first to do it. I say because I did it so much that it became the symbol of rock and roll of some kind."

eta: But, I doubt the child counting had anything to do with that. She's counting. She held up three separate fingers. She's THREE.

I think...how to put this? If people do something that you don't understand, and your best guess is that they are devil worshippers? Well, that is a problem.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

The sign for "y" is the thumb and the pinky extended, index, middle, and ring finger folded into the palm of the hand.

The sign for "I love you" is the thumb, index, and pinky extended, middle and ring folded into the palm of the hand.

If the index and pinky fingers are extended, with the thumb, middle, and ring folded into the palm of the hand, this is sometimes used as a classifier sign - something to hold space in the picture you "draw" when using ASL (what you are visually conveying.). This is also used as the handshape for the verb "to fly" or as an airplane.

A dearth of stray cats in the neighborhood, for example?

She sounds like a conscientious Satanist parent. If you send the kids out to collect 3 cats, you want to make sure they bring back 3 cats. Who knows what helI can be wrought if the newt to feline potion ratio is off?

Edited by LibraryLover