Menu

writing: WWE or Writing Strands or???

hsingscrapper

We are currently using FLL 3 for Dragon (9yo) and will be ordering FLL 4 from Rainbow Resource.

I am debating on different writing programs. WWE, Writing Strands, or ____The Deck.

I am open to other ideas so long as I can order it from Rainbow.

Did I mention FLL 3 is easy for him? Laughing at Mom easy?

I actually have all three :lol: I have a problem. I like WWE it makes sense to me, I like the methodology behind it -- I like that it isn't a lot of writing also but I felt like we needed a little more at the same time. So, I got IEW and spent a lot of money.

So, when that wasn't working I shelved IEW (my son actually was not jiving with it -- I think it was a little much for him for now). I had Writing Strands and thought ... ah well it's worth a shot. HE LOVES IT. I feel he is writing and not so reluctantly anymore and also we pair it with WWE and it really only takes about 30 minutes (depending on whether it's a narration/copywork day or if it's a dictation day for WWE). So, while I am still not ready to part with IEW, because I also see the merit in the program. I plan to hang on to it but for now we are really enjoying the WWE/WS combination.

I actually have all three :lol: I have a problem. I like WWE it makes sense to me, I like the methodology behind it -- I like that it isn't a lot of writing also but I felt like we needed a little more at the same time. So, I got IEW and spent a lot of money.

So, when that wasn't working I shelved IEW (my son actually was not jiving with it -- I think it was a little much for him for now). I had Writing Strands and thought ... ah well it's worth a shot. HE LOVES IT. I feel he is writing and not so reluctantly anymore and also we pair it with WWE and it really only takes about 30 minutes (depending on whether it's a narration/copywork day or if it's a dictation day for WWE). So, while I am still not ready to part with IEW, because I also see the merit in the program. I plan to hang on to it but for now we are really enjoying the WWE/WS combination.

This is what I expected. We have used WWE and will continue to use WWE. I'll probably start Writing Strands in January and then start IEW in the fall or maybe the next January when he will be a very solid 3rd grade.

:bigear: I'm in the same position here. I REALLY need to step up the writing with my 9 year old (4th grade). I'm okay with waiting till next year, but I would love to have a PLAN. I'm actually torn between WS or IEW, so I'd probably pick Writing Strands from your list. Whenever I look at it though, I admit that I wonder if it's really "enough".

Which level of WS are you using? Interesting idea to pair it with WWE to give it that extra "something."

Would you mind sharing more on why you didn't like IEW?

Which level of WS are you using? Interesting idea to pair it with WWE to give it that extra "something."

Would you mind sharing more on why you didn't like IEW?

Sure thing. We started with Level 3 and it seems just right for him (new 8 year old, 3rd grade -- he's a young 3rd). I tried several things and this seems to be working beautifully. He is writing and not complaining at all.

We have TWSS and we have SWI-A. I wanted to start with TWSS and I have their Unit 1&2 workbook that goes along with it. We made it through the first 5 weeks and he was beat. I liked that it was very incremental so he wasn't writing a lot each DAY. However, it seems to zap a lot of his energy to think things up like adverbial clauses and even thinking up well constructed because clauses. He was doing the opposite of what I thought he would, he was becoming more reluctant.

I keep it because, again, I see the merit in it. He was a reluctant writer when we started about 9 months ago (we went through Summer) and I feel using what we are doing is boosting his confidence. I am not in LOVE with WS but he seems to really love it and I really like WWE so there ya have it. He also does the freewrite Friday (with no WWE and WS on that day) and writes a pen pal. We live in Japan so pen pals are plentiful.

I keep it because maybe he wasn't quite ready for it just yet. That was a long answer to your question. We shall see how the rest of the year plays out.

If you care to I had just written a little about doing too much and just everything being overkill. I had to weed some things down and accept that maybe for now somethings just aren't working for us. IEW being one of them, a few of the responders suggested perhaps waiting, maybe he isn't ready and I really agree.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=426128

We just switched from WS to IEW this year. For us, the change has been phenomenal. Last year my niece (long story, but she lives with me and I teach her) seemed to like writing strands but by mid year was just kind of filling in he blanks and still could not write a cohesive essay or story. She wasnt reluctant. She actually loved writing but lacked structure.

IEW is a perfect fit for her. Learning how to construct a key word outline has helped her in her other subjects too. Her paragraphs are becoming much more cohesive already after less than 2 months. It's a keeps for us! My ds5 is starting their PAL program this year. I plan to use IEW for him too. Worth the money for sure :)

I love the way Writing Strands teaches, so that would be my choice. :) No gimmicks, no making lists with a gazillion items to check off, just gently building writing skills. If I were hsing again, I'd do whatever it took to use all levels.

You know, I've read this same reply here from either you or Daisy (I think?) in the past and it stuck with me. I'd like to know what you know about "all levels"; what's in those higher levels of WS that those who chuck it early don't get to see? Do the lower levels build up to it, or can a child who has used other writing programs utilize the higher WS levels?

You know, I've read this same reply here from either you or Daisy (I think?) in the past and it stuck with me. I'd like to know what you know about "all levels"; what's in those higher levels of WS that those who chuck it early don't get to see? Do the lower levels build up to it, or can a child who has used other writing programs utilize the higher WS levels?

Well, the lower levels teach children how to write, and they do it simply but effectively. The levels become more complex in what they teach, of course, and the upper couple of levels teach specific forms, like essays.

I'm sure children who haven't done the lower levels can jump into the upper one or two levels; it's just better, IMHO, to have done as many as possible.

I'm sure children who haven't done the lower levels can jump into the upper one or two levels; it's just better, IMHO, to have done as many as possible.

Yes, MFW (who recommends WS) suggests starting WS in 4th grade with level 3. Begin with level 3 if the student is anywhere from 4th-7th grades. If starting in 8th grade, begin at level 4. Completing level 4 by the end of 8th should prepare them for the writing MFW has scheduled in AHL/9th grade. (So if using their curriculum in high school, you wouldn't need to continue WS in high school if you already have the skills taught through level 4.)

Now that's specific to the MFW curriculum goals. But if you're on a different path, you might use this scope & sequence as a guide... it's actually pretty similar to what MFW recommends in the elementary years. (Except they don't have you bother with level 1 or 2 because those skills are taught elsewhere in the curriculum.) http://www.writing-strands.com/curriculum.asp

Personally, I think that WS is great for the child who needs step-by-step directions, or doesn't like a lot of fuss and just wants to get to the point. The child who's more of a global thinker might prefer IEW. At least that's how it worked out in our house.

I haven't used WWE to compare.