Menu

"Exotioc" fruit

I had a big plate of mangosteens and rambutans for dessert last night. I was familiar with the names because of Singapore Math, lol, but I never had the nerve to spend money on them a the store without knowing how they were. Fortunately we visited someone who had a ginormous fruit bowl and there were some in there, so I got to taste them before buying.

I thought they were both terrific, enough that I buy them on my own, but I've found that I haven't really taken to other "exotic" fruits, and I wonder whether that is a product of what you grow up with? Dh was so disappointed the first time we went to India and he had me try all his favorites -- custard apples, fresh coconut, chikoo -- and I was less than enthralled, lol. I loved the fresh mango there, but still if the choice is between a juicy mango and a juicy peach, the peach will win out every time -- taste buds or familiarity?

And I haven't tried other "exotics" like starfruit, or passionfruit.. has anyone had these and are they any good? My parents decided one night to try all the "exotics" at the grocery, and most they didn't like, but then I thought that maybe they didn't get good quality ones, or truly ripe ones, because I know that for mangos it's unusual to get really good ones in their local store, kwim?

I think rambutan is different from lychee, at least in appearance -- I don't think lychee are all spiky/hairy like rambutans are. My only prior experience with lychee-type fruit, lol, was from Chinese restaurants where they served it soaked in syrup.

Totally not familir with soursop? I'll have to go look that one up...

And I haven't tried other "exotics" like starfruit, or passionfruit.. has anyone had these and are they any good?

We have a starfruit tree and eat them all the time. I always smile in the grocery store when I see the small, pathetic-looking starfruit they are selling for $2 (or more) each! Our fruit is huge...at least 8 inches long and 10-12 inches in diameter...on average! Some are bigger/smaller.

Smiles!

~Holly

We spent a month in Taiwan a couple of years ago. Every morning I would have dragon fruit at breakfast. I absolutely love this stuff! We don't get it here in the states though. If we did I'd buy it. I have tried, and liked, many exotic fruits, but sometimes your tastebuds just want familiarity. That dragon fruit though, I could become more familiar with that easily...

I don't even like "local" fruit in the grocery store. They come in hard as rocks and just never taste the same as fresh from the tree. So, I would imagine that to import an exotic fruit would be even worse, sorta like those green bananas that come over the ocean and NEVER turn yellow! We got a bunch like that last time from Costco. YUCK.

You can get Mangosteen now in a puree drink. The fruit itself is known as the Queen of Fruits, and is Gourmet magazines exotic fruit of choice. We can't buy them here, only in a drink form.

I like lychees, and as a kid I loved starfruit. But this thread reminds me of my mother. Growing up, I would go grocery shopping with her, and if there was a fruit there that we had never heard of, a lot of times she would buy one for us to try. We didn't always like it, but it was just fun to be adventurous and try new things.

I love rambutans! I would love to know where to find them in the states!

I ate them all the time while we were living in Singapore. We had trees near our house and would just pick them up and take them home. I have also had starfruit, dragonfruit, and passion fruit.

I think that lychees and rambutans are different. I have had both, and I think that rambutans are sweeter.

One Singaporean fruit that I was never able to eat was the Durian. Do they have that in the math books? Just wondering. There is a saying that goes with that fruit. "Smells like ***, tastes like heaven." I could never get past the smell. They aren't even allowed on the MRT. That is how bad they smell. :eek:

Anyway, where do you find rambutans? I would love, love to eat them again.

The kids are always begging to try them. Do you peel them or not, that is the question! If you do peel them, how???:confused:

~Lisa

Yes, peel them. :) Cut through the tough skin with a knife and then you should be able to peel the rest off. The inside is almost the texture of a grape or a kiwi.